Finders Keepers | GTAMotorcycle.com

Finders Keepers

Rutlo

I need some advice from the great and good on GTAM. A friend has come across an abandoned BMW 1200 LT in his parking lot. It's been there for a year at least. His building manager has told him he can take it so he's moved it into a shed on site. Now he's wondering what he can do with it. I don't know much about it other than the bike was made from 99-07 and it sounds like this one has a cracked frame. Not sure how he knows this or if he's only heard it as a rumour that went around the building. He tells me it has 16000 kms on it, but I don't have much more information on it. Do you suspect it makes sense as a possible parts bike etc? Also he won't have any ownership etc on this thing so I'm not sure where he stands legally on this or if that's an issue at all. Just looking for some opinions on this. Can he make some money on this or is he better to just bail on it? No pics at the moment (if that would even help).

You never touch another man's/woman's bike...you know that right?

He can take the VIN to the MTO. Get a UVIP package and find out who the last listed owner is. Then he can attempt to contact the owner and see if the owner will sign over the ownership to him or sell it to him.

If he uses it as a parts bike without getting the ownership, then your buddy is a bike thief and you should beat his ***.

You never touch another man's/woman's bike...you know that right?

He can take the VIN to the MTO. Get a UVIP package and find out who the last listed owner is. Then he can attempt to contact the owner and see if the owner will sign over the ownership to him or sell it to him.

If he uses it as a parts bike without getting the ownership, then your buddy is a bike thief and you should beat his ***.

I mentioned the VIN and MoT today. Try to find out who may own the thing. I don't know if he knew the former owner or not. It's just my understanding the the owner hasn't been in the building for a loooong time and they're kind of surprised that the bike wasn't removed by the building owner long ago. Sketchy details for sure.

I mentioned the VIN and MoT today. Try to find out who may own the thing. I don't know if he knew the former owner or not. It's just my understanding the the owner hasn't been in the building for a loooong time and they're kind of surprised that the bike wasn't removed by the building owner long ago. Sketchy details for sure.

The last owner may have abandoned it. If the bike was registered and your buddy can contact the owner might just sign it over for nothing.

Your buddy means you right? I smell a thief.
Really???? Why would I bother lying on an anonymous forum, or asking you for advice on how to unload a stolen bike??? Landlord has tried contacting owner/former tenant for months with no contact or returned messages. My buddy offers to remove bike to save the landlord doing it. I don't have more details than that. Other than suggesting he try to get somewhere with the VIN to cover his butt, I was just looking for some advice on whether it may be worth pursuing as a parts bike. I've seen it in the lot covered for a long time now, parts lying around, and he's told me how the guy has skipped out. F@$k You.

Ok let me explain several things to you:

1. The building owner/manager doesn't own this bike so he/she has NO authority to tell someone else they "can have it". Now the building owner may AFTER they have made attempts to contact the OWNER, (not the previous owner as the person who parked ti there STILL LEGALLY OWNS the bike), may have it towed off the property but there are VERY strict rules that MUST be followed.
2. Your buddy had NO right to touch, let alone move the bike into a shed, (was he afraid someone else might steal what he stole??)
3. Unless your friend contacts the LEGAL OWNER and gets the ownership signed over to him he has NO right to sell even a bolt off this bike because it is now a STOLEN vehicle.
4. By even putting the bike in shed, your friend is now in possession of STOLEN property and can be charged by the police for it.
5. There is no "getting the VIN to cover his butt" unless he has an ownership LEGALLY signed over to him by the LegAL owner. Period end of story. If he can't contact the LEGAL owner then it stays where it is.

This is NOT finders keepers. It is THEFT of a motor vehicle and it depends on the value of the bike, (not as it sits but the blue book value), would determine if it is theft over or under $5,000

The ONLY advice your friend needs to have is PUT THE BIKE BACK WHERE HE stole it from, and keep his hands off it. It is NOT his bike how would you feel if I decided that your bike was "abandoned" and just come and scooped it up?? You as a rider, and hopefully an ethical human being should have not even had to ask this queston. It is NOT for your friend or the building owner to do anything with this bike, (other than what the building owner is LEGALLY entitled to do with an abandoned vehicle on his/her property, and that is NOT to "give it away"). Most people learn by the time they are 2 - 3 years old if it isn't mine then I can't take it. That rules still applies!

Just when you think you've seen it all on GTAM......

Finders keepers..... to justify theft of a motor vehicle. Holy ****.

That's great I guess if a vehicle sits in a parking lot for one year with flat tires and essentially returning to earth it's a capital crime for some disadvantaged glue huffing north Hamiltonian claw his way out of poverty? Never rescued a cat?

Really???? Why would I bother lying on an anonymous forum, or asking you for advice on how to unload a stolen bike??? Landlord has tried contacting owner/former tenant for months with no contact or returned messages. My buddy offers to remove bike to save the landlord doing it. I don't have more details than that. Other than suggesting he try to get somewhere with the VIN to cover his butt, I was just looking for some advice on whether it may be worth pursuing as a parts bike. I've seen it in the lot covered for a long time now, parts lying around, and he's told me how the guy has skipped out. F@$k You.

While starboy may lack tact hes' technically correct. The owner can have it removed from the property via legal channels however it would be at his expense but has no right just to offer it up to anyone. If you part it out this is technically theft. Now the owner may have abandoned it and might not care or might even be dead but that does not mean they wont change their mind later (unless the dead thing) and if they come back to the land lord and he says your buddy took it for parts what do you think is gonna happen.

Its pretty simple. Now you can see if you can track down the owner and get them to sign it over that is your only legally justifiable option.

you got pretty defensive about 'your friend', but in another post I fixed it you you. I always love these 'posting for a friend' post.

Ok let me explain several things to you:

1. The building owner/manager doesn't own this bike so he/she has NO authority to tell someone else they "can have it". Now the building owner may AFTER they have made attempts to contact the OWNER, (not the previous owner as the person who parked ti there STILL LEGALLY OWNS the bike), may have it towed off the property but there are VERY strict rules that MUST be followed.
2. You had NO right to touch, let alone move the bike into a shed, (was he afraid someone else might steal what he stole??)
3. Unless you contacts the LEGAL OWNER and gets the ownership signed over to yourself you have NO right to sell even a bolt off this bike because it is now a STOLEN vehicle.
4. By even putting the bike in shed, you're now in possession of STOLEN property and can be charged by the police for it.
5. There is no "getting the VIN to cover his butt" unless he has an ownership LEGALLY signed over to him by the LegAL owner. Period end of story. If he can't contact the LEGAL owner then it stays where it is.

This is NOT finders keepers. It is THEFT of a motor vehicle and it depends on the value of the bike, (not as it sits but the blue book value), would determine if it is theft over or under $5,000

The ONLY advice you needs to have is PUT THE BIKE BACK WHERE you stole it from, and keep his hands off it. It is NOT your bike how would you feel if I decided that your bike was "abandoned" and just come and scooped it up?? You as a rider, and hopefully an ethical human being should have not even had to ask this queston. It is NOT for you or the building owner to do anything with this bike, (other than what the building owner is LEGALLY entitled to do with an abandoned vehicle on his/her property, and that is NOT to "give it away"). Most people learn by the time they are 2 - 3 years old if it isn't mine then I can't take it. That rules still applies!

Last edited:
My friend says you're a meanie.

Btw I know where a newer duc has been sitting for at least 2 years with a shredded cover, and hasn't been washed at all. Would it be ok for my friend (I mean me) to pickup it and put it in his (my) garage? roflol... I can get the VIN off the side of the frame so my friend(I mean me) should be ok. Heck I'll swing by today and take a picture and post it up.. come to think of it it's been 3+ years now.

btw already screen shot your posts including the defensive one about 'your friend' and making a call to 905-546-4925.

Last edited:
He has absolutely NO legal standing with this bike. Anything that he does will be considered theft/conversion. He needs to report it to police and walk away.

Just when you think you've seen it all on GTAM......

Finders keepers..... to justify theft of a motor vehicle. Holy ****.

Actually, it isn't the first time.

Still early goings but opinions from great and good on GTAM seems to favour not taking other peoples stuff. Backed with hard legal advice. Hamilton gangster schooled.

"Hey, look what I stole! Now tell me how I can keep it, or chop it up for parts!"

The rules covering removal of abandoned vehicles from private property are easy for removal, Property owner calls towing company and says XX has sat here and needs removed, towing company says "have plates?" , PO says "no plates" so they call police and have VIN checked to be sure its not an abandoned stolen vehicle they have been looking for. If no, the towing company takes it to a lot and waits for somebody to claim, if nobody claims they can file under the warehousing and storage liens act to sell the vehicle for money owed. But its a lot of paperwork and crap so if there isn't enough money to be made a towing company wont even pick it up.

In the meantime only sell the parts with no serial numbers on them.

Yeah no sense in doing the legal and moral things just steal other people's property then sell off any parts that can't be traced back to you. After all chop shops and bike thieves do it all the time so it must be ok.

The rules covering removal of abandoned vehicles from private property are easy for removal, Property owner calls towing company and says XX has sat here and needs removed, towing company says "have plates?" , PO says "no plates" so they call police and have VIN checked to be sure its not an abandoned stolen vehicle they have been looking for. If no, the towing company takes it to a lot and waits for somebody to claim, if nobody claims they can file under the warehousing and storage liens act to sell the vehicle for money owed. But its a lot of paperwork and crap so if there isn't enough money to be made a towing company wont even pick it up.

In the meantime only sell the parts with no serial numbers on them.

Last edited:
@hedo2002 I'm PRETTY sure that @crankcall was being sarcastic. (Like, 98% sure).

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom