Registering an electric motorcycle project in Ontario | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Registering an electric motorcycle project in Ontario

I think it's only a matter of time before E-Bikes and powered bikes (gas ones are becoming more popular) are licenced in some fashion. Too many of them on the roads now and as Brian touched on it seems like a virtual free for all out there.

Not to mention Auntie Kathleen and the Fiberals have never met a "revenue stream" they didn't fall in love with at first sight..lol

Not to mention Auntie Kathleen and the Fiberals have never met a "revenue stream" they didn't fall in love with at first sight..lol

They can do 30-40 Kmh, have significant mass, and can do significant damage. They are being used in ways that are dangerous to pedestrians. That screams out "regulation" to me.

They can do 30-40 Kmh, have significant mass, and can do significant damage. They are being used in ways that are dangerous to pedestrians. That screams out "regulation" to me.

Actually they are restricted at 32km.
I agree that is more than enough to still do serious damage but just clarifying actual e-bike speed restrictor for Ontario and I believe Canada.
28mph is the standard in USA (45 kmph)

Throwing this out to Hedo or others(Bike cop) in prior or current law enforcement.....but i believe it is still illegal for an e-bike or a regular bicycle to ride on a sidewalk.

And just to clarify further......it would also be important to note that the E-Bike will result in a charge of IMPAIRED if found intoxicated.

Last edited:

That's easily bypassed. A lot of scooters (based on some GoogleFu) appear to have this limit programmed in to obtain legality here, but make removing/bypassing it easy enough that virtually anyone can do it. Based on my observations of ebikes in south Oshawa (not surprisingly, there's lots of them down there) a good majority are clipping along at far more than 32. ;)

Bigger issue yet is the engine powered bicycles. One of my coworkers (who will remain unnamed) has one and it's been clocked at over 100K with his mods. For all intents and purposes it's a 80cc motorcycle, but no insurance, no plates, no signals, no safety certifications...hell, doesn't even legally need a helmet. The kits are advertised everywhere online advertising 60K out of the box, and getting far past that is dead easy.

He need to licence and insure it those gas powered bikes are now motorcycles ad legally are classed as motorcycles.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I agree that is more than enough to still do serious damage but just clarifying actual e-bike speed restrictor for Ontario and I believe Canada.

Throwing this out to Hedo or others(Bike cop) in prior or current law enforcement.....but i believe it is still illegal for an e-bike or a regular bicycle to ride on a sidewalk.

And just to clarify further......it would also be important to note that the E-Bike will fall under HTA of IMPAIRED if found intoxicated.

That's what they are restricted to at time of sale. Many are modified. For example I used to routinely see one that had a full sized car battery strapped to the floorboards.

An ebike is not classified as a "motor vehicle" under the Criminal Code of Canada*, unless modified, nor is it classified as a "motor vehicle" under the HTA.

*EDIT* A quick search seems to indicate that little loophole was closed, sometime recently.

Last edited:
And just to clarify further......it would also be important to note that the E-Bike will fall under HTA of IMPAIRED if found intoxicated.

DUI is a criminal code violation.

An E-Bike is considered a motor vehicle under the CC definition but not under the HTA definition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a cyclist I suppose I became one dimensional when I heard Ebike and was addressing the pedal assist E-bike stats.

Scooters and motorized bikes I will agree are are becoming a menace.
Especially the lil mini motor bikes that ride like idiots on the road, side walk path or wherever they feel they have a right to ride.....(not anyone particular but if you leave work at 4 in Malton you may be this idiot)
Carry on.......

Thank you Caboose. CC not HTA, my bad.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/electric-bicycles-faq.shtml

Last edited:
Although it seems to be quite easy to derestrict ebikes, the specs of ebikes are very clearly laid out. If you don't comply with the specs, you are a motorcycle, not ebike. All it will take is a pedestrian fatality and toronto cops will start kicking ***** and taking most of those abominations off the street.

If the cop has reason to believe that the ebike doesn't comply with the rules, they should be able to require an inspection to ensure it does right?

He need to licence and insure it those gas powered bikes are now motorcycles ad legally are classed as motorcycles.

Only if it goes over 32K out of the box. Someone could just install a throttle limiter on the engines I linked to that keeps the bike under that speed at WOT.... and blam...legal loophole. Of course we know what happens the second those bikes hit the road, right?

AFAIK, If it still has pedals, it's considered a "power assisted bicycle" in the letter of the law....and exempt as long as it jumps through all these hoops:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/electric-bicycles-faq.shtml

An ebike is not classified as a "motor vehicle" under the Criminal Code of Canada*, unless modified, nor is it classified as a "motor vehicle" under the HTA.

*EDIT* A quick search seems to indicate that little loophole was closed, sometime recently.

There's a lot of confusion between what amounts to an electric scooter vs the loophole laden "Power assisted bicycle", however.

Basically, if it goes 32K or under, has pedals, weighs under 120KG all in and has brakes...it falls under the power assisted bicycle loopholes. The thing is, even the biggest "power assisted bicycles" that look virtually like gas powered scooters/mopeds...have pedals hidden somewhere to allow them through the loophoes. The pedals, often while operational, are functionally nearly impossible (certainly impractical) to use, but again...loopholes.

If it's gas-powered, it falls into motor vehicle territory regardless of what speed it is or is not limited to.

I couldn't find any reference to that. Not saying it's not the truth, just interested in reading it. Link?

I couldn't find any reference to that. Not saying it's not the truth, just interested in reading it. Link?

A bicycle with pedals and a gas motor is defined in the HTA as a "motor-assisted bicycle", which in turn is defined as a "motor vehicle".

A bicycle/scooter with pedals and an electric motor and other features fitting within specified regulations is defined in the HTA as a "power-assisted bicycle".

The HTA makes exemptions in certain cases for "power-assisted bicycles" (also referred to as e-bikes), but does not do so for "motor-assisted bicycles".

Ontario Highway Traffic Act definitions:
motor assisted bicycle” means a bicycle,(a) that is fitted with pedals that are operable at all times to propel the bicycle,
(b) that weighs not more than fifty-five kilograms,
(c) that has no hand or foot operated clutch or gearbox driven by the motor and transferring power to the driven wheel,
(d) that has an attached motor driven by electricity or having a piston displacement of not more than fifty cubic centimetres, and
(e) that does not have sufficient power to enable the bicycle to attain a speed greater than 50 kilometres per hour on level ground within a distance of 2 kilometres from a standing start; (“cyclomoteur”)

motor vehicleincludes an automobile, a motorcycle, a motor-assisted bicycle unless otherwise indicated in this Act, and any other vehicle propelled or driven otherwise than by muscular power, but does not include a street car or other motor vehicle running only upon rails, a power-assisted bicycle, a motorized snow vehicle, a traction engine, a farm tractor, a self-propelled implement of husbandry or a road-building machine; (“véhicule automobile”)

power-assisted bicycle” means a bicycle that,
(a) is a power-assisted bicycle as defined in subsection 2 (1) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations made under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada),
(b) bears a label affixed by the manufacturer in compliance with the definition referred to in clause (a),
(c) has affixed to it pedals that are operable, and
(d) is capable of being propelled solely by muscular power; (“bicyclette assistée”)

Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act defined a power-assisted bicycle as follows:
power-assisted bicycle” means a vehicle that:
(a) has steering handlebars and is equipped with pedals,
(b) is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground,
(c) is capable of being propelled by muscular power,
(d) has one or more electric motors that have, singly or in combination, the following characteristics:
(i) it has a total continuous power output rating, measured at the shaft of each motor, of 500 W or less,
(ii) if it is engaged by the use of muscular power, power assistance immediately ceases when the muscular power ceases,
(iii) if it is engaged by the use of an accelerator controller, power assistance immediately ceases when the brakes are applied, and
(iv) it is incapable of providing further assistance when the bicycle attains a speed of 32 km/h on level ground,
(e) bears a label that is permanently affixed by the manufacturer and appears in a conspicuous location stating, in both official languages, that the vehicle is a power-assisted bicycle as defined in this subsection, and
(f) has one of the following safety features,
(i) an enabling mechanism to turn the electric motor on and off that is separate from the accelerator controller and fitted in such a manner that it is operable by the driver, or
(ii) a mechanism that prevents the motor from being engaged before the bicycle attains a speed of 3 km/h; (bicyclette assistée)
(definiton for power-assisted bicycles at http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._1038/FullText.html )

Last edited:
Interesting...so it's all in the wording.

Surprised so many of these continue to run around scott free then, at least based on my observations. As I've mentioned, seems to be a lot of ebikes and such around south Oshawa, often with a case of beer (or empties) on the back. Wonder if the two have anything to do with each other.
smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

Interesting...so it's all in the wording.

Surprised so many of these continue to run around scott free then, at least based on my observations. As I've mentioned, seems to be a lot of ebikes and such around south Oshawa, often with a case of beer (or empties) on the back. Wonder if the two have anything to do with each other.
smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

Impaired driving charges under the Criminal Code of Canada can be laid against impaired e-bike operators. If you have already been disqualified from driving as a result of conviction under the Criminal Code (impaired driving, over-80, dangerous driving, etc) you are also disqualified from operating an e-bike, because e-bikes are still considered motor vehicles under the federal legislation from which the Criminal Code and the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act derive.

Impaired driving charges under the Criminal Code of Canada can be laid against impaired e-bike operators. If you have already been disqualified from driving as a result of conviction under the Criminal Code (impaired driving, over-80, dangerous driving, etc) you are also disqualified from operating an e-bike, because e-bikes are still considered motor vehicles under the federal legislation from which the Criminal Code and the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act derive.

Yes, I read that, and agree with it.

One might suggest that if they were stupid enough to get charged with impaired and loose their licence to begin with, they're probably not going to care a whole lot about operating what most people consider a glorified bicycle again afterwards while drunk. Heck, I'd say a lot of ebike owners aren't even aware of that part of the law - a lot of people that advertise/sell these things are very quick to suggest that they are basically exempt from all laws.....even though in reality they aren't exempt from them all, DUI being an important one.

And just to clarify further......it would also be important to note that the E-Bike will result in a charge of IMPAIRED if found intoxicated.

From griff2's post

(ii) a mechanism that prevents the motor from being engaged before the bicycle attains a speed of 3 km/h; (bicyclette assistée)

Does this mean they have to pedal the first few feet before the motor can kick in? I have seen it but always thought it was to improve acceleration. I will also watch closer to see if this happens all the time or whether a few have bypassed another device.

Re: Kedo's comment re riding a bike on a sidewalk.

A lot of this is based on municipal bylaws factoring in wheel size etc ie "Sidewalk Bicycle".
What may be illegal in Toronto could be OK in Mississauga / Brampton / Kingston.

Re Waiting for someone to be killed. It's already happened. A guy on a regular bike did a hit and run after killing some lady on a Mississauga sidewalk. I forget the max weight of an ebike but having a rider / bike combo of 300 pounds hitting you at 32 kph (20 MPH) could do serious damage.

BTW very few people can run at 20 MPH. Usain Bolt does about 23 in a 100 meter run. Then he got knocked down by a tracksider on a Segway.

I can see Wynne doing something about the gas powered stuff but she's so enamored with green electricity that you can do just about anything you want if it doesn't burn hydrocarbons.

Last edited:
From griff2's post

Does this mean they have to pedal the first few feet before the motor can kick in? I have seen it but always thought it was to improve acceleration. I will also watch closer to see if this happens all the time or whether a few have bypassed another device.

No. It means it must have that OR a means for the operator to enable or disable power to the motor.

(f) has one of the following safety features,
(i) an enabling mechanism to turn the electric motor on and off that is separate from the accelerator controller and fitted in such a manner that it is operable by the driver, or

Sorry Kedo: I missed your post but Nobbie48 is correct bicycle and e bikes on sidewalks fall under municipal bylaws as opposed to the HTA. But if a vehicle is classified as a "motor vehicle" under the HTA, then of course it can not be operated on a sidewalk. That would come under the HTA, just as it would if you were to drive your car down the sidewalk.

Back
Top Bottom