Near death crash.... should I ride again? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Near death crash.... should I ride again?

saw some texile jackets around $200 that puts some leather to shame for protection.

Btw now on ebay is a good time to get some good deals. You just need to find them. I just picked up an astar t-gp new for about $200cdn shipped.

I wear gear, don't get me wrong. I would always wear gear if the ride was over 20 minutes one way, or in speeds 80km+. I have a jacket, gloves and boots, all mid quality icon stuff.

I never had an issue with traffic or other drivers either, I don't wanna brag but I have really good kinaesthetic awareness and i'm pretty good at predicting a drivers next move no matter how irrational it is.

Insurance rates have actually gone down, i'm looking at 2200/year for an R3 compared to 2400/year for the ninja 250.

I'm confident to get back on a bike, but it'll still be an emotional experience.

I wear gear, don't get me wrong. I would always wear gear if the ride was over 20 minutes one way, or in speeds 80km+. I have a jacket, gloves and boots, all mid quality icon stuff. .

Around the corner, or around the country....gear up.

Most accidents happen within a short distance of ones home, proven statistic, look it up.

Doesn't have too, you can track/offroad.
Talking to people on campus, I'm sure there more people driving without insurance.

lol, if insurance costs limit him to track/offroad that's determining his future.....what campus? lol

Looks like the OP will have to move to Shanny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear gear, don't get me wrong. I would always wear gear if the ride was over 20 minutes one way, or in speeds 80km+. I have a jacket, gloves and boots, all mid quality icon stuff.

I never had an issue with traffic or other drivers either, I don't wanna brag but I have really good kinaesthetic awareness and i'm pretty good at predicting a drivers next move no matter how irrational it is...

Ah, so there's the answer. No, you should not ride again until you blush on re-reading that post.

Insurance rates have actually gone down, i'm looking at 2200/year for an R3 compared to 2400/year for the ninja 250.

Prior to your accident maybe. Now that you've had an at fault... no way that's accurate. Insurance companies don't reward you for crashing a bike and upgrading.

Here's is my $.02 on 3 critical factors: RISK, AGE and EXPERIENCE.

RISK - regardless of gear, age or experience RISK is always there. You could be in full leathers and get t-boned. Dead. There is more risk on a motorcycle than there is in a car. However, risk can be reduced by many things including gear, age and experience.

AGE - You're young. IMO - too young. It costs too much for insurance, and (blanket stereotyping) given that you describe your longboarding; need for speed ways; I'd suggest you have the classic mentality of an 18 year old. Nothing wrong with that, but refer back to RISK.

EXPERIENCE - It comes with many things. Track-days are nice, but they won't stop you from hitting a **** ton of gravel or getting t-boned, or noticing a car 'doing something you should be paying attention to.' IMO, track days (in general) won't help you become a safer rider. The race track is controlled. Regular life, the roads and it's vehicular traffic is certainly not. Proper driver education and driving-time experience (behind the wheel) count. I firmly believe one's excellence as a automobile driver directly correlates to one's excellence (and safety) as a rider.

Last edited:
Prior to your accident maybe. Now that you've had an at fault... no way that's accurate. Insurance companies don't reward you for crashing a bike and upgrading.

Unless he didn't claim it on insurance, it's likely he didn't have collision so it wasn't worth it to even make a claim.

Unless he didn't claim it on insurance, it's likely he didn't have collision so it wasn't worth it to even make a claim.

Personal injury motor vehicle crash on the street resulting in severe injuries, and you think it didn't end up in an insurance report somewhere?

If this was really a near-death crash, the police would have been out with their major collision squad to shut down the road and do a full investigation.

I initially thought this as a possibility...until.

Personal injury motor vehicle crash on the street resulting in severe injuries, and you think it didn't end up in an insurance report somewhere?

If this was really a near-death crash, the police would have been out with their major collision squad to shut down the road and do a full investigation.

....this.

Although FWIW I don't think our OP chimed in on that detail, but I too would find it very hard to believe that the insurance company wasn't part of the aftermath.

Op. If insurance was involved, then wait until your renewal. Rates don't change mid term.

I suspect they will be higher when you renew and when you shop elsewhere to get a better quote.

And don't assume if you didn't make a claim it won't affect your insurance.

Is the insurance company or broker aware of the fall?

It will be considered a single vehicle accident regardless of no damages.

Single vehicle accident ate considered 100% at fault. No matter what the road conditions.

So take your time.

Op. If insurance was involved, then wait until your renewal. Rates don't change mid term.

I suspect they will be higher when you renew and when you shop elsewhere to get a better quote.

And don't assume if you didn't make a claim it won't affect your insurance.

Is the insurance company or broker aware of the fall?

It will be considered a single vehicle accident regardless of no damages.

Single vehicle accident ate considered 100% at fault. No matter what the road conditions.

So take your time.

I never made a claim, I was in contact with my broker while still in the hospital. I cancelled my coverage early and paid the left over money owed. Expecting a terrible rate I emailed him yesterday expecting bad news when I referenced my accident and those were the rates I was given. 2200/year for an R3.

There was no investigation, just an accident report, even though I automatically assumed 100% liability they might have let me go on the fact that there was contractor construction.

I'm confused - what's this thread about? I thought OP wanted advice but he discredits everyone and knows better. I feel bad for even wasting the two minutes it took to reply :(

I never made a claim, I was in contact with my broker while still in the hospital. I cancelled my coverage early and paid the left over money owed. Expecting a terrible rate I emailed him yesterday expecting bad news when I referenced my accident and those were the rates I was given. 2200/year for an R3.

Your broker is not your insurance company, he's just the middleman. It sounds to me like he did you a favor (and a huge one at that) by simply pretending he didn't hear the part about you having an accident when you called in to cancel your policy.

Did you notget charged with anything by the police? When you called for your new quote did you conveniently forget to mention the accident? Both of those would explain why your quote didn't go through the roof...the actual underwriter is probably not even aware of the accident and hence not factoring it into your quote.

Last edited:

There was no investigation, just an accident report, even though I automatically assumed 100% liability they might have let me go on the fact that there was contractor construction.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer. Honest. Review some posts in the insurance threads. You'll see folks that get quote all the time only to find out it's not the real rate.

It's not until the policy gets underwritten and they see the report. No claim has to be made or funds paid out. It was reported. And that my friend will screw you.

Maybe I wrong and hope I am.

But I've seen folks go get a new bike and then get the "surprise!" After.

May I ask was the quote from the original insurer or from another company?

If it was another company, they probably made the quote but, won't underwrite the policy until you agree. Afterwards, the new company will contact the previous insurance company and find out about the single vehicle accident report. There won't be any amount paid out but, they will determine an 18 y/o or 19 y/o with a reported single vehicle accident. Believe me, they will surcharge the premium. And they will say the quote was based on no record and you didn't disclose when quoted. And they found out after.

Trust your broker? Don't. Because they have to report it. Because you have a year to come back and make a claim of injuries caused from the accident and they don't want the insurance company to come back and ask why they weren't informed.

The broker could lose their business from the insurance company from not reporting it.

They always get you in the end.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer. Honest. Review some posts in the insurance threads. You'll see folks that get quote all the time only to find out it's not the real rate.

It's not until the policy gets underwritten and they see the report. No claim has to be made or funds paid out. It was reported. And that my friend will screw you.

Maybe I wrong and hope I am.

But I've seen folks go get a new bike and then get the "surprise!" After.

May I ask was the quote from the original insurer or from another company?

If it was another company, they probably made the quote but, won't underwrite the policy until you agree. Afterwards, the new company will contact the previous insurance company and find out about the single vehicle accident report. There won't be any amount paid out but, they will determine an 18 y/o or 19 y/o with a reported single vehicle accident. Believe me, they will surcharge the premium. And they will say the quote was based on no record and you didn't disclose when quoted. And they found out after.

Trust your broker? Don't. Because they have to report it. Because you have a year to come back and make a claim of injuries caused from the accident and they don't want the insurance company to come back and ask why they weren't informed.

The broker could lose their business from the insurance company from not reporting it.

They always get you in the end.

^ and when you complain about the rate, they will say you didn't tell them about the at fault accident.

^ and when you complain about the rate, they will say you didn't tell them about the at fault accident.

But I'm left wondering about the grey area here.

If if there was no charges, there was no insurance claim...does it count for the purposes of insurance?

IE, although a less serious situation vs our OP, but theoretical: Single vehicle at fault accident happens, say you slide into a ditch in your car in a snowstorm. Police show up, tow truck pulls your car out of the ditch, minimal damage, nothing you'd want to bother even claiming on insurance, police officer calls you a dumbass but doesn't charge you with anything and leaves. Out of an abundance of caution you go to the hospital for bumps and bruises but are vague about what exactly happened. Snowboarding accident, right?

What then? Yes, there was an accident, yes, you were at fault, but if there was no charge, no trail, and insurance was never notified....?

Although I'd find it hard to believe that this situation would translate to our OP given as how it's unlikely he wasn't charged with something, and having had injuries and lengthy hospitalization I'd find it impossible to believe the insurance company didn't find out....it still seems like a grey area to me.

Back
Top Bottom