Near death crash.... should I ride again? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Near death crash.... should I ride again?

Not much, shorts and a tshirt? I know I should be riding with all the gear all the time blah blah blah, I was cruising around to a buddies house though, you know?

Gear wouldn't have done anything though, unless I had extremely good padding on the side of my leg. It was the right handlebar that hit my stomach.

I've YOLOed into a highway guard rail at 120km/h~ and came out with a sore *** (bike's tail exploded from spinning into the guardrail); I had full gear on at the time.

On the flip side, a pine cone and jeans caused me to have a pretty good rash on my knee.

I don't really care if you wear gear or not, but your accident would have not been near death if you hadn't been a typical squid. Sounds like you'll keep squidding so I hope you don't crash again.

There's nothing wrong with taking some time off.

It's a mental activity as well as physical, so your head has to be in the game.

What's the reasoning behind looking at a more powerful and expensive bike than the one you crashed?

油井緋色;2369539 said:
I've YOLOed into a highway guard rail...
..your accident would have not been near death if you hadn't been a typical squid.
LoL, heheh... YOLOed.
Not sure what it stands for but I like it.
C'mon, he's a good guy, pretty responsible.
He just, he wasn't prepared. Handlebar gored him and took out his spleen...
Actually there's no real defense against that - no Alpine Stars Spleen Protector, y'know? - and he just had some real unfortunate bad luck.
It's crazy how easy ***** can happen. Hopefully all will read this thread.
The human body is actually quite fragile. Not designed for this stuff at all...

Lets hope youve run out of luck. I mean the bad type of luck.

Get back on it. Get your experience.

Ive been commuting sauga to downtown... its boring for a big part of it but it teaches you a lot about your bike.
It's crazy though, this was my first season too... but we had such different experiences.

Hopefully you get a better season next year if you decide to pull the trigger.

I think you should listen to your family and friends and not ride anymore. They know you more than any of us.

You admit you have a need for speed, you don't want to wear gear, you are only 18 so insurance will be high.

But you probably will decide to ride again because you want to. Maybe you should ride track only? Safest place for your need for speed.

When my brother was 18 he was in a very serious crash too.

He started to pass a truck on a two lane road just as the truck started to initiate a 'farmer's turn'... which is to pull in to the on coming lane when making a left in order to allow people behind to continue straight. Anyway, bro was hit in the rear wheel and went into a slide. He hit a mailbox post (4x4) with his chest and suffered severe internal bleeding, a number of broken ribs, etc.. He was also momentarily without pulse and needed the paddles to revive him. A month in the hospital, 8 months in recovery with nurse visits to drain the fluids. He has a 13" scar up his belly from the surgery.

It took him nearly 30 years to get back on a bike... not necessarily out of fear as it could have been a money/steady job issue.

Back then he was on a KZ1000... now he rides a big Harley that I have no idea what the model is... but at least he is back on two wheels.

I had a nasty accident at 18 as well, long weekend Friday night on the 401. I bought another bike three weeks later and started riding again as soon as I was able. That was twenty four years ago and I've never been down since. Knock on wood.
Get back on and ride! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you should get a small dual sport and do more off-tarmac riding. Get away from the cars, have fun, and ride like your 18! This will get you confidence and skill up significantly. Glad to hear you've recovered!

Insurance is rates are going to determine your future.

Glad you recovered healthy. And would encourage you to get back on and ride.

But I'm afraid this is considered a single vehicle accident and you'll likely be at fault. Being a young rider, I can't imagine what kind of rates they will quote you when the renewal comes in.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had an 18yr. son I wouldn't want him on a bike in any urban areas. So for that reason I couldn't recommend it for any other 18yr. Out in the boonies? Knock yourself out.

Gear wouldn't have done anything though, unless I had extremely good padding on the side of my leg. It was the right handlebar that hit my stomach.

and then I think of those idiots who get spiked bar ends...you'd literally get gutted.

Only you can know. In my experience I have had a few offs, once when I was a kid doing motocross, and a few more as an adult on sport bikes and it never crossed my mind to stop riding but they were never serious enough and all on the track and not public roads.

I am sure someone already mentioned it but what about just doing track days only? even if it is for a couple years, you can work on your skills so you can feel a lot safer and then you can decide if you want to go back to street riding.

Sometimes is good to be scared to ride, sometimes when I start doing stupid things while riding street, I imagine myself having an accident and scare myself a little so that i don't get over confident.

Hey guys, its been a while since i've posted on here (even then I really lurked). It's nearing winter so ill be lucky if I get a reply or two. So to start, i'd like to share my experience with a near death experience, and have some of you guys chime in on what you think is in my best interest. For some background I'm 18 years old, my dad has been riding for 30 years on a variety of sportbikes with no severe accidents, riding on the back of his MT-01 is what inspired me to get a bike of my own. :rolleyes:

So, about 3 months ago I was riding my Ninja 250 (I started riding the beginning of April after my training course), I was on my way to a buddy's house on a late summer night when I decided to take a detour on a corner I knew from my downhill skateboarding days. As I entered the corner around 60kmph I hit a big piece of gravel (almost a small rock) and my front wheel hopped off the ground. Next thing I know i'm headed off the road into a ditch only to meet my front tire with a driveway wall. Somehow I managed to stay conscious enough to dial 911. I was in the hospital for two weeks with a broken leg, removed spleen, and some repaired intestinal damage. I'm happy to say that I've made a somewhat full recovery in those 3 months.

While I was in the hospital I debated the lifestyle that I had habituated myself with for the past 5 years, being addicted to everything fast, I used to race longboards (skateboards) all over North America at speeds up to 110kmph. I've had crashes here and there, hit my head pretty bad a few times, but not much has deterred me from getting back on the horse.

Even though it was my first season, I still feeling like motorcycles are very dear to my heart, and its something I don't want to give up. But with friends and family insisting I quit i'm almost torn between the two.

I'm looking at an r3 for next spring, but I feel somewhat guilty for putting my parents and friends through all this.

When is it time to call it quits? I'd appreciate any opinions you guys have, just try not to bash me too hard eh ;)

Last edited:
I think there are a couple of ways of looking at this.

Sounds like you low sided at a relatively low speed, were not wearing ATGATT and you were unlucky enough to hit a few solid objects before coming to a stop. Very bad luck and could happen to anyone. Many people (including myself 40 years ago) have low sided and slid to an uneventful stop uninjured save for a bit of road rash. So get back on the bike, start wearing ATGATT and keep riding, as most of us have done.

The other perspective is that only you know what really happened, to what extent your speed attributed to the accident, why you were not wearing ATGATT and, most important, how you intend to ride in the future. A clue here is that your family knows you pretty well and they are encouraging you to not ride. You describe yourself you are a risk taker. Based on this I'd say you have a significantly higher risk of being in another accident as your need for "fast" overrides any consideration of consequences. Other than wearing ATGATT when this happens you'll again be in the unfortunate position (literally) of being completely at the mercy of fate in terms of how the secondary collision(s) occur and whether you'll be just shaken up or more seriously injured.

If you ride and how you ride are 100% your choice.

Some gear would've helped lessen the blow to your guts. Just buy a good jacket and not the cheapest thing on the market.

Some gear would've helped lessen the blow to your guts. Just buy a good jacket and not the cheapest thing on the market.

Some really good stuff coming out of China these days, high quality and very reasonably priced. No excuse not to wear gears.

...I decided to take a detour on a corner I knew from my downhill skateboarding days. As I entered the corner around 60kmph I hit a big piece of gravel (almost a small rock)...

So if you start again how will you take that corner? At 60 in a t-shirt? Or 40, maybe 30, in "all the gear all the time blah blah blah" (as you put it). What have you learned from this?

How will you lessen the considerable stress under which you put your loved ones? Will you show them your new gear ($1,000+) and discuss with them the advanced training you have signed up for? Will you tell them that you now understand limit points? Will you assure them that you have learned the fundamental riding skill of humility? I had some sympathy but your (apparent) dismissal of ATGATT rankles. And the accident was not bad luck, you went in too fast to adjust to the road conditions.

Why not get a dirt bike and explore the woods for a year? Your family will be happier, you will develop skills, and you defer the insurance hit. (The track is also a great idea, but the value of speeding on sports bikes will be tricky to explain to the family!)

Glad you're okay though. Best of luck whatever you do.

Come with me
Hail Mary ***** run quick see
What do we have here now
Do you want to ride or die
La dadada, la la la la

Do what I did at 18. Don't decide anything major until after you jerk off. 18 year old sperm kills.

Back
Top Bottom