Parting Out Motorcycle - Title/Frame - Avoiding Fraud Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parting Out Motorcycle - Title/Frame - Avoiding Fraud Question

Zealot

Heya folks! Regrettably, I binned by bike recently and have been parting it out to make back some of the money. I've been doing really well so far, but I'm nearing the point where the only major items left are the engine, frame, and title. I've had somebody recently contact me, stating he only wants the title. I spoke with my dad briefly about this, and he was wary (he's a police officer) that it could be for fraudulent purposes. How exactly would I go about selling the title/frame to somebody, and not getting screwed over? If I gave this person the papers and frame with matching VIN, and perhaps had a signed bill of sale which I keep to record the VIN and date I sold them to him, would I be okay? If I were to sell off the title and frame in one go, he could just toss the frame and still use the papers for whatever he had in mind. This whole process is confusing to me. Thanks in advance!

I would think that if you have a bill of sale for the frame, including the VIN, your butt should be covered for whatever purposes the buyer wants it for.
Essentially the bill of sale would demonstrate that you sold the title and frame with the correct VIN.
What happened to it later is not your responsibility.

What condition is the frame in? Was it damaged or is it fine? If you sell a damaged frame, but with a damaged frame then it "could" be used to register a stolen bike, (see other thread in the law forum), in that they remove the vin from your frame and put it in a stolen bike. But that is a LOT of work.

Now having said that it could also be used by someone like you who has a damaged frame but other parts are ok they could then buy a new frame and have the vin stamped and put their bike back on the road.

But I would definitely have a bill of sale stating exactly what you sold, as well as the date etc.

Don't sell the frame and title separately. Sell them together and go to the Ministry of Transportation and tell them you have sold the vehicle. Treat it just as if you were selling the whole vehicle without a safety inspection. That way, if there are shenanigans after the fact, you're not involved, and at least the MoT has the opportunity to track down who bought the frame and title from you.

Don't sell the frame and title separately. Sell them together and go to the Ministry of Transportation and tell them you have sold the vehicle. Treat it just as if you were selling the whole vehicle without a safety inspection. That way, if there are shenanigans after the fact, you're not involved, and at least the MoT has the opportunity to track down who bought the frame and title from you.

Exactly this, 99% of the time you would have no issue, its that 1% that could cause you much grief.

I take it one step further. I make sure the ownership is transferred to to the new owner. Once that is done I don't ever have to worry about someone knocking on my door expecting me to get involved in any liability. My name is no longer associated with the vehicle.

This means UVIP, transfer. taxes but I know that in the future I won't have to go looking for a piece of paper to absolve me of any crap.

I just did it with a van I scrapped. The buyer didn't like it but as long as my name is on the MOT paperwork I am the first person they go after if the VIN number gets involved in anything wrong. Yes, I'm anal.

You cannot legally sell the ownership separate from the vehicle. The frame, at the very least, must go with the ownership. As other have stated, it's more than likely to be used for either fraud, or to conceal a stolen vehicle for sale. You don't want to be part of that.

I take it one step further. I make sure the ownership is transferred to to the new owner. Once that is done I don't ever have to worry about someone knocking on my door expecting me to get involved in any liability. My name is no longer associated with the vehicle.

This means UVIP, transfer. taxes but I know that in the future I won't have to go looking for a piece of paper to absolve me of any crap.

I just did it with a van I scrapped. The buyer didn't like it but as long as my name is on the MOT paperwork I am the first person they go after if the VIN number gets involved in anything wrong. Yes, I'm anal.

Not really. It's due diligence and in your best interest to make sure you name is not attached to a vehicle you've sold....in one form or another.

If you have a signed bill of sale you as the seller may go to Service Ontario by yourself and they will record the vehcile as being sold and if the new owner has yet to register the vehicle in their name it will be noted on the MTO records that your no longer the legal owner of said vehicle. My friend did this with her last bike that wasn't transferred three months after she sold to a new owner. According to the Service Ontario clerks this will absolve you of any liability attached to that vehicle, should something go sideways.

Back
Top Bottom