What did you do OR have to do to your Race/Track Bike 2016 | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do OR have to do to your Race/Track Bike 2016

Question for you guys, is there somewhere that I can buy blank offs for all my unused electrical connections? Headlight, signals, etc. I will be zip tying them out of the way and filling them up with dielectric grease. But I figure since its pretty much stripped right now, I could go the extra step, while I have easy access.

Its a clean title bike, and could potentially go back on the street.

Electrical tape will do, it's pretty durable and will do a good job at keeping dirt and water out with the grease inside.

I've bought plugs from overseas (eastern beaver) but they're costly and getting a proper match is hard. There is another place that has oem style but I can't remember where from.

Dropped the stock exhaust (26 pound monstrosity - KTM RC-8). Took it to a custom exhaust shop, who is going to use the stock headers and build a custom straight through can with side exit out the end for $200. Is it the most efficient and proper way? No, but I can't afford the $1300 or so for the cheapest possible, but good quality after market exhaust (Jester). And yes, I'll upload the Akropovich slip on tune to the ECU to richen the fuel mixture.

Dropped the stock exhaust (26 pound monstrosity - KTM RC-8). Took it to a custom exhaust shop, who is going to use the stock headers and build a custom straight through can with side exit out the end for $200. Is it the most efficient and proper way? No, but I can't afford the $1300 or so for the cheapest possible, but good quality after market exhaust (Jester). And yes, I'll upload the Akropovich slip on tune to the ECU to richen the fuel mixture.

I would buy a Hindle muffler and have the shop size the pipe so it'll fit. Running no muffler isn't a good idea. Also just uploading a map for an exhaust that was actually built for the bike as opposed to one put together with 0 r&d is also a bad idea.

I would buy a Hindle muffler and have the shop size the pipe so it'll fit. Running no muffler isn't a good idea. Also just uploading a map for an exhaust that was actually built for the bike as opposed to one put together with 0 r&d is also a bad idea.

The shop is building a custom can, which will attach to the stock headers. Several KTM forums suggest running the Akro map on most after market mufflers as well. So, at some point I will see about doing a proper system, but for this year, it'll do.

attachment.php

That's the stock can. You can see where the engine headers attach to the can at the flanges. I am leaving the engine headers alone, cutting off the can from the "lower" headers, and having a smaller can attached below. Similar to the Jester brand as noted earlier.

Attachments

• ktm-rc8-exhaust.jpg
    ktm-rc8-exhaust.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Getting it on the dyno is in the plans at some point in the nearish future...
In the mean time....

Connected my tablet to the ECU
Everything checked out, diagnostics all good.
Went to read the programming/map on the ECU, and the app crashed (worked fine last time I used it for my street bike).
Restarted tablet, same deal. Crashed again.
Uploaded the maps I have to Googledrive. Downloaded the same maps to my Android phone.
Connected phone to ECU, read the stock map no issues at all, saved to the phone (and uploaded to Googledrive)
Opened the Akropovich slip on tune, disable SAI and O2 sensors. Saved map. Uploaded map to ECU.
Beautiful.
Reprogrammed my motorcycle with my mother**king phone...

Guess my tablet's OS is kind of old (Asus isn't pushing any OS updates either) and no longer is fully compatible with TuneECU. No biggie - still works great on the laptop too.

Shaved down a big nylon washer to take up the lateral play in the rear brake pedal. Finished mounting the tail with an improved exhaust mount. All that's left to do now is bleed the brakes, flush the coolant and get some weaker paddock stand spool bolts so they break instead of ripping a hole in my swing arm like last time...

Okay so I had one more thing to do after talking with Scott Miller. He suggested I lower the oil level in the forks to decrease the air pressure when they're compressed. So I just finished adjusting the fork oil level.

Picked up my suspension from Accelerated Technologies on Friday, installed today. Serviced the swimgarm/linkage/steering head bearings, pulled the clutch to take measurements so I can order a new one, and replaced the air filter.

Now I need to replace the clutch cable, check the valve clearances, replace the spark plugs, replace the seals in the front calipers, bleed the brakes, reinstall the cleaned front rotors, install the new battery, flush the coolant, and install the new clutch when it arrives.

A solid day of work.

Last edited:
Mounted another Go Pro camera mount on the front faring and put some rim tape on one of my rim sets. Should take at least 1 second a lap off!

I gotz a new damper!

Still need to order a new battery, the old one is 13 years old and started to lose umpf last season.

Refreshed my 600 engine for the pro category and it's ready for installing. Just need to find time for that...

Refresh suspension and that'll be it for 2016... or else no more money to race.

Damn money burns through my pockets in this sport !!! lol

Last edited:
Sooooo I need a new rad. The neck on mine is bent and it's not sealing properly against the cap. Had to basically destroy the cap In order to take it off to check the water level.

Urgently in need of a rad so I can make it to the track on the 30th. If anyone has a lead, please pm me before I go to eBay. Thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom