What did you do OR have to do to your Race/Track Bike 2016 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do OR have to do to your Race/Track Bike 2016

Having just completed a "no crash" season, my needs are minimal.

1. Figure out the electrical (?) glitch that forces me to restart the motor 25 times before it warms up. So Kyle and Melanie will stop teasing me. It hurts my feelings.

2. Find a way to remount the instrument cluster that was a victim of vibration and is currently attached with zip ties.

3. Go over the whole bike and re-torque every fastener I can see.

I will change the oil at some point I guess. Might check the valves but I did them last spring so probably still good. I'll mount a GPS lap timer if I can find one cheap.

I don't even need to change the tires. Pirelli SC1s from last season still have enough rubber for a few early spring track days. Same tires I bought for SOAR Round 1 last year - competed all six rounds on the same rubber, including a few Fridays. Eat your hearts out SBK riders...

If I had the cash I would build the motor a bit (head work), but I don't, so I will have to see if the same number of ponies will be good enough for next season. Tziougras has a new bike, Radecki was very fast in Round 6, Rutkowski is faster every time he gets on the bike, Mitchell showed he can be fast enough to win, Morris's bike has piles of motor, Rich Wilson has the same motor as me and is skilled...BOTT LW is a great class now when everyone shows up! Hopefully whoever bought Dylan Bauer's Ninja 650 will also come out to play.

Having just completed a "no crash" season, my needs are minimal.

1. Figure out the electrical (?) glitch that forces me to restart the motor 25 times before it warms up. So Kyle and Melanie will stop teasing me. It hurts my feelings.

2. Find a way to remount the instrument cluster that was a victim of vibration and is currently attached with zip ties.

3. Go over the whole bike and re-torque every fastener I can see.

I will change the oil at some point I guess. Might check the valves but I did them last spring so probably still good. I'll mount a GPS lap timer if I can find one cheap.

I hope you do this trough the season.

I don't even need to change the tires. Pirelli SC1s from last season still have enough rubber for a few early spring track days. Same tires I bought for SOAR Round 1 last year - competed all six rounds on the same rubber, including a few Fridays. Eat your hearts out SBK riders...

I am a bit jealous buuuut not really :)

If I had the cash I would build the motor a bit (head work), but I don't, so I will have to see if the same number of ponies will be good enough for next season. Tziougras has a new bike, Radecki was very fast in Round 6, Rutkowski is faster every time he gets on the bike, Mitchell showed he can be fast enough to win, Morris's bike has piles of motor, Rich Wilson has the same motor as me and is skilled...BOTT LW is a great class now when everyone shows up! Hopefully whoever bought Dylan Bauer's Ninja 650 will also come out to play.

I'm going to drain the water out of the bikes this weekend. It's almost cold.

safety wire my bike, and some paint for the first time racing next season :)

I'm going to drain the water out of the bikes this weekend. It's almost cold.

One more thing I don't need to do. Because a) no radiator, and b) even if there was a radiator, indoor workshop.

Jealous now? :)

As for oil...I change it in the spring, and then once mid season. I figure it's enough, given the limited number of miles (even if they are the hardest miles imaginable). Mobil 1 full synth comes out looking more or less the same as it did going in...

Suspension's off, engine is out to be refreshed. Not much more to report. Oh, some better rotors and R6 calipers on the 600.

One more thing I don't need to do. Because a) no radiator, and b) even if there was a radiator, indoor workshop.

Jealous now? :)

As for oil...I change it in the spring, and then once mid season. I figure it's enough, given the limited number of miles (even if they are the hardest miles imaginable). Mobil 1 full synth comes out looking more or less the same as it did going in...

Lol no because it's one bolt. Wheelying over the hill on the back straight of Mosport tapped in 6th gear is worth the tire bill.

Being an aircooled bike I'd be doing my oil more often. I over maintain my equipment though.

Rebuild the shock (fricken high maintenance ohlins) and likely change my front geometry a bit. Already winterized it and went over everything.

Speaking of ohlins, looking for a steering damper for a 03 r6 if anyone hears of a used one.

Post crash rebuild is almost complete, just waiting on the bodywork to be finished.

Suspension/tune will have to wait until spring.

Last edited:
Refresh rear Penske soon and install the new plugs. Now to determine whether I send back to accelerated tech where it was first done, or to fast co which is local to me.

Everything else has already had a going over this fall and is ready for summer 2016 although I can almost guarantee it will all be looked at again and again as winter boredom kicks in

Fitted and painted my new tail section. Fixed the damage on my fairing from my lowside at St. Eustache and touched up the paint. Touched up all the rock chips in my bellypan. Got the champagne stains off my subframe.

Fireblade- 10,000 laps has taken a toll.
Needs:
New wheelbearings all 4 wheels
new steering head bearings
injectors cleaned, fuel filter changed
suspension linkages cleaned and lubed
Ohlins shock rebuilt
Crash damaged engine covers, clipons and rearsets replaced
crash damaged fairings are repaired already-needs new paintjob
...and hopefully a 5 litre larger fuel tank made.....and tumblers taken out of fuel cap.

YZF750:
Needs :
clutch basket
New FactoryPro Titanium jetkit bought and installed
New Factory Pro shift kit
Ohlins shock rebuilt
(Maybe some fancy wheels?)

FZR4/6 Hybrid (in the planning stages still)
Find OEM FZR 400 axles and engine cradles
Source FZR 600 drivetrain and wiring harness
have wheel spacers and rear hub made to fit
Install chain, sprockets, steering damper, and a myriad of other parts
Send off WP shock for rebuild
Mount YZF fuel tank
Try to find some period correct cool fairings to fit (OWO1 maybe?)
fab fairing brackets and paint

R6
Needs to get sold,LOL

....and hopefully find a cheap retro streetbike for July Deals Gap trip next yr.

I refuse to use anything but an OEM gascap after my bike burnt to the ground from a leaking aftermarket one. I just haven't gotten around to having the tumblers removed so any screwdriver will open it up.

Even the Vortex one on Marc's R6 was leaking when Josh picked him up with the crashcart-that doesn't happen with stock gascaps

My vortex leaks. Probably because the previous owner drilled a hole in the cap(I'm assuming to solve a vacuum lock problem).

The one on the F4i didn't though. I took the tank off and had it sitting upside down all day and it never leaked a drop.

I have 2 different new ones to test out and see how they go. Probably gonna drill and tap one for a barb and run a hose right to the normal tank vent.

Removing all the body work for a new look;-)

Last edited:
I refuse to use anything but an OEM gascap after my bike burnt to the ground from a leaking aftermarket one. I just haven't gotten around to having the tumblers removed so any screwdriver will open it up.

Even the Vortex one on Marc's R6 was leaking when Josh picked him up with the crashcart-that doesn't happen with stock gascaps

I almost ran out of gas the next time I rode the bike. Could have sworn there was a full tank of gas in it.

You are not afraid of what an extra 5 liters of gas can do to the handling of the bike? maybe make you lose time by lap that will undo the gain for not having to stop for gas?

Back
Top Bottom