Allow Motorcycles To Use HOV Lanes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Allow Motorcycles To Use HOV Lanes

I sent out a couple of emails to our MPPs on this.
This is the response I got from the minister of transportation:
HOV.jpg

Haven't seen another bike occupy the Don Mills HOV lanes in over a month.

What's the reasoning besides my being "special" for riding a motorcycle?

Is there a cohesive argument for it happening? Can everyone agree on the argument?

Not having enough seats seems to be more of a personal choice, and "will reduce the cost of medical assistance to motorcycle related accidents.", doesn't make any sense, without seeing facts and numbers to back up the statement.

Is there a cohesive argument for it happening? Can everyone agree on the argument?

Not having enough seats seems to be more of a personal choice, and "will reduce the cost of medical assistance to motorcycle related accidents.", doesn't make any sense, without seeing facts and numbers to back up the statement.
Just to make the argument simple, Ontario is the only eff'n administration in all of North America, including every other province, that doesn't allow bikes in HOV lanes.

Sitting on an overheated bike while a green plated single occupant Tesla cruises by in the HOV is just another reminder how far this province has stuck it's head up it's ass.

I agree there needs to be these kinds of specific, clear and evidence-based reasons for asking for MCs to use the HOV lanes. I believe some solid arguments exist that could drive a serious campaign.

1- I've seen reports (would have to find them) that the Ontario government acknowledges the HOV lanes are underused, which is why they are considering turning them into optional toll (HOT) lanes. That's because there is a balance point to be found between allowing more people to use the HOV and ensuring that it flows freely. Right now, that balance isn't found, but allowing motorcycles to use the HOVs would help bring usage closer to that balance point.

2- Motorcycles would primarily use the HOV in the summer, when the roads are less congested anyways. In winter they would have virtually no impact on HOV traffic, leaving the attraction of HOT lanes unchanged during that time of the year when traffic is at its worst.

3- I believe there are studies from the US that support the argument that motorcyclists are safer in HOV lanes. Again, I'd have to find the links.

4- It would give a bit of a boost to the motorcycle industry in Ontario.

All in all these are potentially big political wins for no cost, if they choose to adopt the change. So a focused and serious campaign should prevail, I believe.

Last edited:
I agree there needs to be these kinds of specific, clear and evidence-based reasons for asking for MCs to use the HOV lanes. I believe some solid arguments exist that could drive a serious campaign.

1- I've seen reports (would have to find them) that the Ontario government acknowledges the HOV lanes are underused, which is why they are considering turning them into optional toll (HOT) lanes. That's because there is a balance point to be found between allowing more people to use the HOV and ensuring that it flows freely. Right now, that balance isn't found, but allowing motorcycles to use the HOVs would help bring usage closer to that balance point.

2- Motorcycles would primarily use the HOV in the summer, when the roads are less congested anyways. In winter they would have virtually no impact on HOV traffic, leaving the attraction of HOT lanes unchanged during that time of the year when traffic is at its worst.

3- I believe there are studies from the US that support the argument that motorcyclists are safer in HOV lanes. Again, I'd have to find the links.

4- It would give a bit of a boost to the motorcycle industry in Ontario.

All in all these are potentially big political wins for no cost, if they choose to adopt the change. So a focused and serious campaign should prevail, I believe.

Something thats gonna be needed with supersport's haven being destroyed (statefarm) and possible parking costs for motos being implemented downtown.

Just to make the argument simple, Ontario is the only eff'n administration in all of North America, including every other province, that doesn't allow bikes in HOV lanes.

Sitting on an overheated bike while a green plated single occupant Tesla cruises by in the HOV is just another reminder how far this province has stuck it's head up it's ***.
Hey, that's actually a good angle to take.
Can someone write to the Minister and ask why are they the only ones to exclude bikes considering California (their model) has more people in 1 state than the Canadian population yet they seem to be moving people along more effectively.

Ask them why are they increasing the danger to a rider when their job is about road safety therefore their position seems to be contradictory.

Hey, that's actually a good angle to take.
Can someone write to the Minister and ask why are they the only ones to exclude bikes considering California (their model) has more people in 1 state than the Canadian population yet they seem to be moving people along more effectively.

Ask them why are they increasing the danger to a rider when their job is about road safety therefore their position seems to be contradictory.

The problem is that you'd actually have to gather data and prove that it's the only one,
rather than just say it is, in what you think is a convincing tone.

No, the problem with that argument is that it doesn't mean squat. Who cares if 99% of other people are or aren't doing something? The only question that matters is if it's right for us to do or not.

I thought for a petition to be legit to surrender it had to be signed pen and paper. Am I wrong?

The problem is that you'd actually have to gather data and prove that it's the only one,
rather than just say it is, in what you think is a convincing tone.

The Govt said they used California's model therefore let the Govt explain why they omitted the bikes. Ask them for the exact reasoning. Put the Govt in conflict with their model.

Wow, another example of our Provincial Government reaching into our wallets. Guess as long as you are willing to pay, FCK those that meet the original requirements. So the HOV (errrr, HOT) lanes will be full of Electric/Green Vehicles and people willing to pay rather than share a ride.

Green plates vehciles, (Electric cars), are already permitted to use the HOV lanes. Given there are only 5,500 electric vehicles registered in the entire province I doubt they will be plugging the HOV lanes.

Back
Top Bottom