another ontario power generation scandal round 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

another ontario power generation scandal round 15

I wish. Kick the Liberals out and watch the next party do the same thing. Why do we think that these people are so hungry to gain political power? It must be intoxicating to them to think of governing with such impunity. I've worked with government and big businesses the world over and I know one thing's for sure: corruption is numero uno.

All that reporting is great, but it does absolutely NOTHING to solve the problem. Am I reading it correctly?

To me this says:

"We found all these past mistakes that the Liberals made, a LOT of money has been misused and misappropriated, you've all paid way too much for your services, and now, going forward you must continue to pay excessively so that they can fix all the issues from the past that they were supposed to fix yesterday."

To me, the article implies that as they were awarding all of those inflated contracts to Solar and Wind energy companies, the government was selling it to us as "using your tax dollars to generate clean energy, and reduce our carbon footprint". What a load of BS.

As I understand it; we have de-commissioned nuclear power plants in Ontario because the plants in-use generate more electricity than we can use. We built the nuclear plants to eventually get rid of coal power. All that said, why did we need new installations of solar and wind power generation? FFS.

My question is why do we even export power when it costs us money? Just do random laser shows at CN tower and niagara falls when you have excess power...

You'll notice that a lot of the problem revolves around privatized companies -- gas gens, solar, wind etc -- having their hand in the pot, "incentivized" by ludicrous amounts of government/our money. Look to leaders of the early 1990s -- Bob Rae and Mike Harris to be specific -- for the break-up of Ontario Hydro into the privatized mess we see today.

Wynne and McGuinty idiocy regarding unsustainable subsidies and promises to generators notwithstanding, a great deal of the problems we see are related to the mismanagement of these private outfits. Reminds me of Orng: that company has its own CEO, a COO, a CFO as well as a board of directors. While Wynne/McGuinty are the lightning rods for critics of Orng, the fact is that the daily operations of that -- and companies like it including those in the hydro sector -- are the really responsibility of their own executives.

The drive to privatize OH, to transition to a for-(massive)profit system for private operators had few other possible outcomes than the one we're seeing today.

I find it interesting that this audit was not released BEFORE the elections.
I guess they had to hang on to it to check for typos.

It wouldn't have made a lick of difference. We already knew of tons of other shenanigans and we still voted majority liberals both provincially and federally.

I find it interesting that this audit was not released BEFORE the elections.
I guess they had to hang on to it to check for typos.

My personal theory on the gas plants was the 'contractors' knew they would NEVER get built in Oakville and hedged bets on the not in my back yard winning the day. The cancellation fees where made rediculous knowing thats where the real payday was. Not building plants.

Once the liberals figured out the scam they had to scrub hard drives to hopefully bury the trails.

My personal theory on the gas plants was the 'contractors' knew they would NEVER get built in Oakville and hedged bets on the not in my back yard winning the day. The cancellation fees where made rediculous knowing thats where the real payday was. Not building plants.

Once the liberals figured out the scam they had to scrub hard drives to hopefully bury the trails.

Something like that doesn't happen without paying someone off. I'm sure someone did something illegal

My question is why do we even export power when it costs us money? Just do random laser shows at CN tower and niagara falls when you have excess power...

LOL ... if it were only that easy.

When we build our next house in a couple of years... it will not be connected to the grids.

Wasn't there a self sustainable community like that in Colorado, that recently got shafted by the "man" saying get on the grid or we "take" your homes? Im not so sure you can even exist off the grid these days, the "system" wont allow it, very easily anyways.

Sorry for the off topic, carry on.

Wasn't there a self sustainable community like that in Colorado, that recently got shafted by the "man" saying get on the grid or we "take" your homes? Im not so sure you can even exist off the grid these days, the "system" wont allow it, very easily anyways.

they will come up with some sort of tax, fees to offset the lost of revenue. look what is happening now with electricity. home owners buy low energy bulbs and appliances trying to reduce their bills but other charges go up. I think the best way is vote, at the municipal level, provincial, federal

Not sure about Colorado... But I know of a few off grid homes in Ontario.
I know of a couple, in the same area, that did have to pay the hook up fees even though they weren't actually hooking up.

someone a few yrs ago in waterdown went off grid, his property taxes went so high it forced him to go back on the system

When we build our next house in a couple of years... it will not be connected to the grids.

A lot of people think that's easy. Reality is that the amount of solar generation that is needed to power what our lifestyles demand is huge. Now, add in a few cloudy days when there's no solar to be had and things get troubling. Short days in the winter and extreme cold, even more. Need some Wind generation as well, but more $$$.

In the end, no matter WHAT way you price it out...grid electricity is still comparatively dirt cheap, which is why most peoples "off the grid" dreams die quickly when they realize that the payback/breakeven is in the 30-50 year range. In scenarios where large banks of batteries reach end of life on a semi regular basis, some may NEVER achieve break even vs what grid power would have cost.

Nuclear plants can't easily (and rapidly) be ramped up and down, and their energy needs to go *somewhere*. If it's not being consumed in province, it needs to be sent elsewhere that *can* take it on short notice - neighboring US states that are often relying on fossil fuel plants (that can more easily be ramped down when our excess comes their way) are often willing to oblige, but yeah, we get hosed on the deal.

Unfortunately until OPG comes up with some method to store the otherwise excess electricity, "just do some laser shows" isn't a viable solution. We're taking countless megawatts here, not a few hundred watts that can be consumed by a few hundred homes turning on a space heater overnight.

As EV's increase in popularity the overnight surpluses will rapidly shrink however since most EV owners charge during the overnight hours when off-peak rates are in place.

The Auditor General's report on OPG was scathing, the improprieties almost to many to list. Decisions within the ministry that exceed there capacity.

Now the bigger question, does ANYTHING get done about it?

The Auditor General's report on OPG was scathing, the improprieties almost to many to list. Decisions within the ministry that exceed there capacity.

Now the bigger question, does ANYTHING get done about it?

Privatize more so it is outside the scope of AG review. :(

Back
Top Bottom