Anybody looking forward to the ski/snowboard season? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody looking forward to the ski/snowboard season?

JP is by far my favourite hill. Usually they have tons of snow but it came late for them this year I heard. Good to know conditions are decent there now as I'm trying to get down soon. Did you try the waterpark (always funny to see the faceplants and lost bikini tops at the surf)?

Same here! It's my favourite East Coast resort for SURE: from 2008 -2013 I went almost every year, and have ridden almost every area, including Big Jay, The "Dip" (off The Jet chair, all the way down to the 242 parking lots), and even the unmarked glades all through the resort ;)

Ever since riding Jay, it's always been all about glades.

Same here! It's my favourite East Coast resort for SURE: from 2008 -2013 I went almost every year, and have ridden almost every area, including Big Jay, The "Dip" (off The Jet chair, all the way down to the 242 parking lots), and even the unmarked glades all through the resort ;)

Ever since riding Jay, it's always been all about glades.
oh jays never ending glades.
i did some cottage trips 4-5 years in a row with friends, awesome memories.

gotta say though, i love the Massif too

I started going there in 2008 as well and last year was the first year I missed since (I made it to Vermont to ski/board but was too ill the day we were doing JP). I've done every run (including the dip and couple other unmarked that were better than I am) but only some of the glades. I need more glade experience to feel confident in them.

Saw on a news letter that OPP are setting up undercover stings at most ski resorts.
Consider a pair of skis with bindings can easily be over a thousand. At least worth a jail sentence. Steal enough, using the regularity white van, prison time.

Well that trip to mslm sucked. Conditions were garbage. It was just ice with fake snow on top and since it had all day of people riding it was basically moguls everywhere. I hate moguls.
shoulda waited it out. I posted they were bad a couple days ago.

my guess is next snowfall (next serious snow fall) they should be better.

I prefer Smugglers to Jay, but I have kids and the wife doesn't like being able to see straight down the hill.

For glades have you tried Mt Sutton in the Eastern townships?

shoulda waited it out. I posted they were bad a couple days ago.

my guess is next snowfall (next serious snow fall) they should be better.

I have a seasons pass and live near by, so it wasn't really a big deal in going and only doing 6 runs. I'm just hoping the season gets better as I want to get out some more and actually have some fun on the hills

learn to love ice, take a lesson or two if you have to, its 80% of Ontario conditions. Ice with manmade snow, ice patches with soupy soft bits, soupy moguls with ice in the troughs, flat groomed that's now skied into ice.
When you go West and they get the thaw/ freeze you'll look like a rockstar.

learn to love ice, take a lesson or two if you have to, its 80% of Ontario conditions. Ice with manmade snow, ice patches with soupy soft bits, soupy moguls with ice in the troughs, flat groomed that's now skied into ice.
When you go West and they get the thaw/ freeze you'll look like a rockstar.

a.k.a. Eastern powder. I find it easier to ski than powder, but it messes with your technique.

a.k.a. Eastern powder. I find it easier to ski than powder, but it messes with your technique.

If you can ski/board Ontario conditions you have the ability to ski anywhere. Now you will have hidden talent.

If the resorts post, "Today's Surface Condition: Machine Groomed Granular" That means the snow cat has groomed the hill, broken up the ice and it is now granular. Temperatures during the day will change that for better or worse?????????????
They are not allowed to say, "Icy conditions" or nobody would ski/board that day. Rain first sets the top layer to hard and crusty. Then it snows, looks good on the surface till later in the day.
Which is what happened to, "Amazon". Forming lots of tiny moguls where everybody has skied/boarded by pushing the snow then follow and continue forming the mini moguls.
Consider the public resorts have thousands of skiers/boarders and all forming the hill to the conditions of the day.
Ideal conditions would be Packed powder groomed. With no rain or freezing conditions prior to the groomers getting out.
If you are waiting for "Ideal" we would never ski.
Learn to ski it and you will have another awesome day.
Be happy, don`t worry, and don't over think it.
As another rider said here, great advice. get lessons.

I'll be going to blue mountain in a couple weeks. let me know how the conditions are (though i know lots can change in the 2 weeks ahead.

Conditions were crap. Tons of ice everywhere and the runs at the far ends of the mountain had exposed dirt as well. It was rideable in the morning and early afternoon but after 3pm it got noticeably worse. We left just before the groomers came out.

I've done lessons and raced snowboards all through highschool. I don't have any desire to take any more lessons, was just posting up an update on the conditions. Since I have a seasons pass and live locally I don't feel the need to spend all day out there if it's not ideal or I'm not having much fun. People were crashing left right and center, figured I'd end the day in one piece and go back another day.

Just to add, I'm not saying I'm super awesome and can't be taught anything, I know there is more to learn and I can always improve and I know there are people better than me out there.

Last edited:
Conditions were crap. Tons of ice everywhere and the runs at the far ends of the mountain had exposed dirt as well. It was rideable in the morning and early afternoon but after 3pm it got noticeably worse. We left just before the groomers came out.
Damn I was really looking forward to this trip too.

Forecasts for Blue say 10-15cm on February 17th - I bet it'll happen sometime that week (between 15-20, likely) - so when that system rolls through, I'll make my obligatory Blue mtn day for the season.

I haven't been to Le Massif or Mt Sutton - thx for the suggestions tho! I've only done Jay, Mt Snow (VT), Stowe, Killington and Tremblant in the East so far. Been to Whistler once, Banff, CO and Utah.

Also, I got a new jacket today for a crazy deal at Winners - So I'm selling an older (in almost new condition) jacket that doesn't fit me at all. If anyone's interested, I'll list it in FS forum :)

Breaumont is pretty good. Not far from Jay so you can dayride Jay then hit Breaumont for nightski.

I've done lessons and raced snowboards all through highschool. I don't have any desire to take any more lessons, was just posting up an update on the conditions. Since I have a seasons pass and live locally I don't feel the need to spend all day out there if it's not ideal or I'm not having much fun. People were crashing left right and center, figured I'd end the day in one piece and go back another day.

Just to add, I'm not saying I'm super awesome and can't be taught anything, I know there is more to learn and I can always improve and I know there are people better than me out there.

What a nice girl.

Im at blue mountain the next three days and the weather could not have worked any more in my favor.

Back
Top Bottom