Anybody looking forward to the ski/snowboard season? | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody looking forward to the ski/snowboard season?

I haven't bothered with skiing in Ontario since my kids took their lessons at Glen Eden...
'Heading to BC in February... Whistler and Apex.

i like skiing too much to limit my season to a couple weeks out west. The line ups, mushy snow, idiotic food prices and quality are all part of the charm.
Hack, if your kids took lessons at Glen Eden I may have been their instructor, unless they actually learned anything , in which case it wasn't me...

Mansfield is a private club, members only weekends. Christmas break and March break include the full weekday tickets for public skiing. Normally open Wednesdays to Friday only.

I plan to ski Mansfield once or twice this season. As a Hockley Snow Ops employee we have a reciprocal agreement that allows us to ski there for just $20 (Wednesday to Friday). We can also use the same deal to ski at Caledon on Wednesdays or Fridays. I'm just waiting until after the Christmas Break to take advantage of this deal.

I haven't bothered with skiing in Ontario since my kids took their lessons at Glen Eden...
'Heading to BC in February... Whistler and Apex.

I went to big white in Kelowna a couple years back.. it was sweet

As a side topic: Do I really need a special iron and tip for soldering in a base weld or can I just use my iron that I solder electronics with?

I went to big white in Kelowna a couple years back.. it was sweet

As a side topic: Do I really need a special iron and tip for soldering in a base weld or can I just use my iron that I solder electronics with?
Electronics irons won't get hot enough. Also pointy tips make it hard to get the ptex in the hole. My base repair iron is 60w and has a flat tip. I recommend you heat up the base with a heat gun to improve adhesion. If you have a deep/wide hole fill it partly with some good epoxy like gflex. MEC has the iron, or I can lend it to you.

Electronics irons won't get hot enough. Also pointy tips make it hard to get the ptex in the hole. My base repair iron is 60w and has a flat tip. I recommend you heat up the base with a heat gun to improve adhesion. If you have a deep/wide hole fill it partly with some good epoxy like gflex. MEC has the iron, or I can lend it to you.

Appreciate the advice, I figured the pencil tip would be an issue but I have a few spares and I was going to cut one on an angle to make a flat tip. I'm always doing repairs so I'll pick one up. Thanks for the offer. And yea I was going to fill it with epoxy first, don't have a heat gun but a blow dryer would probably do the trick

Appreciate the advice, I figured the pencil tip would be an issue but I have a few spares and I was going to cut one on an angle to make a flat tip. I'm always doing repairs so I'll pick one up. Thanks for the offer. And yea I was going to fill it with epoxy first, don't have a heat gun but a blow dryer would probably do the trick

I tried that first too. The welds popped out too easily because of the low heat. You could pick of a high wattage iron and maybe modify it's tip if you want to save some money. Walmart has decent hoot air guns for <$20.
I fond the best way to level the ptex is to use a surform rasp then a medium stripping pad. It blends the repair to the base structure well. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.pocket-surform.1000102660.html
BTW those candles that you light up suck. I take one with me on multi day backountry trips to avoid core damage if I get a deep core shot, but otherwise they are useless.

Where do you ski/snowboard? Core shots are a sign of good skiing ;)

I tried that first too. The welds popped out too easily because of the low heat. You could pick of a high wattage iron and maybe modify it's tip if you want to save some money. Walmart has decent hoot air guns for <$20.
I fond the best way to level the ptex is to use a surform rasp then a medium stripping pad. It blends the repair to the base structure well. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.pocket-surform.1000102660.html
BTW those candles that you light up suck. I take one with me on multi day backountry trips to avoid core damage if I get a deep core shot, but otherwise they are useless.

Where do you ski/snowboard? Core shots are a sign of good skiing ;)

Thanks for the tips haha..seems like you've handled some repairs before. I got a nasty core shot at St. Louis. Not sure when it happened but I was on a few boxes, rode over a tree etc lol..Been to Kelowna once, but most just goto blue except the 5x7 is getting expensive.

This is what I've gotta deal with now after cutting away all the delaminated base:

https://postimg.org/image/

Not exactly sure what I'm going to do. Couldn't find any metal grip so I was just going to try laying down a thin layer of gflex and then welding in some ptex.

Last edited:
I never found metalgrip, but using gflex and ptex I never had a repair fail. I put the gflex in, and right away I melt the ptex in. My reasoning is that the ptex gets glued in by the epoxy this way.
On big holes I found sometimes it's hard to work the ptex in if it's wider than the iron tip. This is where I roughly melt the ptex in with the iron, then with a heat gun and a metal scraper I press the big patch in. Your hole does not look like it's that big. This place has gflex for a very good price https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Th...5eb5fca68c6f98!8m2!3d43.6387463!4d-79.3889441

I really enjoy "survival" skiing in chutes, and rocky tight spots. I did have to do quite a few repairs :)

So what's the best resort around the GTA(milton) to go for a beginner. What's closer than blue but does not require a club membership? Glen eden is probably the best bet?

I never found metalgrip, but using gflex and ptex I never had a repair fail. I put the gflex in, and right away I melt the ptex in. My reasoning is that the ptex gets glued in by the epoxy this way.
On big holes I found sometimes it's hard to work the ptex in if it's wider than the iron tip. This is where I roughly melt the ptex in with the iron, then with a heat gun and a metal scraper I press the big patch in. Your hole does not look like it's that big. This place has gflex for a very good price https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Th...5eb5fca68c6f98!8m2!3d43.6387463!4d-79.3889441

I really enjoy "survival" skiing in chutes, and rocky tight spots. I did have to do quite a few repairs :)

So what's the best resort around the GTA(milton) to go for a beginner. What's closer than blue but does not require a club membership? Glen eden is probably the best bet?

That's actually exactly what I did.. thin layer of gflex and then welded in ptex while it was still wet.. now "curing" it with a space heater lol

I personally like mount St. Louis.. close nice hills, two parks and you don't need a pass for the parks

Used my night pass at blue today. Good day weather wise. They could use a snowfall up there though because there were a bunch of ice patches, many of which I fell on that hurt very much.

And they started closing runs early which made me leave 2 hours after showing up.

Ice patch and glacier skiing is an Ontario specialty. If you learn to ski ice when you go west and they get the thaw/freeze you'll look like a rock star

I highly recommend these for ON/QC

12acb36e319d23145e6274a5c3bd9ed6.jpg

Ice patch and glacier skiing is an Ontario specialty. If you learn to ski ice when you go west and they get the thaw/freeze you'll look like a rock star
Yeah, but it sucks when they get powder.

Back
Top Bottom