California and US West Coast | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

California and US West Coast

5 of us did a 10-day trip from Vancouver Island to Monterey last June/July.

Here's some points and highlights:

Oregon and Pacific Coast Highway (pretty obvious). Better doing this southbound as you are closer to the water.

Hwy's 36 and 299 (between Redding and Eureka). YOU MUST DO HWY 36! Hwy 3 and 96 is nice as well.

Fort Bragg is a nice little town to stay at for the night. Cheaper than Mendocino.

Stinson Beach is a nice rest stop before you hit the Bay area. After this the roads get pretty intense (elevation, narrow roads, tight turns, tourist traffic) as you head towards the Golden Gate bridge.

Hwy 9 north of Santa Cruz is also a must ride. But be prepared for local bike and sport car traffic.

Monterey. Well you know Laguna Seca is right around the corner.

Big Sur. Yosemite. Lake Tahoe. Some amazing sceneries here. I highly recommend Camp Curry for accomodation in Yosemite.

Now this road some people call Race Track in the Sky: La Porte Rd between Quincy and Eagleville. 2nd best road after Hwy 36.

Also some nice roads between Tahoe and Redding: Hwy's 49, 70 and 89.

Oregon Coast and Crater Lake was nice as well.

I am planning on doing this trip again this July. This time though, I will be staying around Redding area for a couple of days and ride the roads around there. Just way less traffic in NorCal which makes riding these twisty roads even more fun.

Btw, we all stayed most of the time at a Motel 6.

5 of us did a 10-day trip from Vancouver Island to Monterey last June/July.

Here's some points and highlights:

Oregon and Pacific Coast Highway (pretty obvious). Better doing this southbound as you are closer to the water.

Hwy's 36 and 299 (between Redding and Eureka). YOU MUST DO HWY 36! Hwy 3 and 96 is nice as well.

Fort Bragg is a nice little town to stay at for the night. Cheaper than Mendocino.

Stinson Beach is a nice rest stop before you hit the Bay area. After this the roads get pretty intense (elevation, narrow roads, tight turns, tourist traffic) as you head towards the Golden Gate bridge.

Hwy 9 north of Santa Cruz is also a must ride. But be prepared for local bike and sport car traffic.

Monterey. Well you know Laguna Seca is right around the corner.

Big Sur. Yosemite. Lake Tahoe. Some amazing sceneries here. I highly recommend Camp Curry for accomodation in Yosemite.

Now this road some people call Race Track in the Sky: La Porte Rd between Quincy and Eagleville. 2nd best road after Hwy 36.

Also some nice roads between Tahoe and Redding: Hwy's 49, 70 and 89.

Oregon Coast and Crater Lake was nice as well.

I am planning on doing this trip again this July. This time though, I will be staying around Redding area for a couple of days and ride the roads around there. Just way less traffic in NorCal which makes riding these twisty roads even more fun.

Btw, we all stayed most of the time at a Motel 6.

+1 on 36 and 9. I've done that complete north to south trip a few times and have continued right down to Cabo.

I used to live in Kitsalino before moving back to Toronto. I miss it already.Where do you live on Vancouver Island? My brother still lives in Duncan

What bike were you riding?

Have you ever headed north? Last year we went right up into Alaska and through the Yukon before returning through central BC. It was beautiful.

+1 on 36 and 9. I've done that complete north to south trip a few times and have continued right down to Cabo.

I used to live in Kitsalino before moving back to Toronto. I miss it already.Where do you live on Vancouver Island? My brother still lives in Duncan

What bike were you riding?

Have you ever headed north? Last year we went right up into Alaska and through the Yukon before returning through central BC. It was beautiful.

I just moved out of Victoria 4 months ago. I guess I should update my profile. Lol

Never did a trip up north. But now that I live in Northern Alberta it might happen in the near future.

I currently ride a FZ1.

Kits eh? Probably my favorite area in VanCity.

But now that I live in Northern Alberta it might happen in the near future.

It's almost a weekend trip for you now :)

Kits eh? Probably my favorite area in VanCity.

Well, it was right on the edge. We were on 15th. We bought quite a few years ago and even then my budget just wasn't enough for Kits Point or Point Gray Road :)

Last edited:
My favourite California ride was from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe on Hwy. 50 through the state forest.
Once you get into the forest, the road has some very nice twists and turns.
As you leave the forest you are at the top of a mountain and there below you is a panoramic view of the lake. Breathtaking.
You then ride down the mountain into town. I do mean down, almost straight down.
Tahoe is famous for its skiing at this time of year, so it may be too early for a bike ride. I did it in August.

Back
Top Bottom