California and US West Coast | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

California and US West Coast

As Kiley said you can ride down, some sections are really beautiful, or you could ship with someone like TFX. It’s probably not going to cost any more than renting a bike.

If you are renting I would try to get an adventure/tourer. It’s easy to get a Multistrada which is more on the tourer side and there are some places that rent 1200/800GS BMW’s that will let you explorer a little further off road. They come with bags and insurance. Your Ontario license is fine.

Some of my favourite rides are in Northern California….

The 35/9 combination is great. Start at Crystal Springs Reservoir on the 280 and keep going on 35/Skyline. Stop off for a burger at Alice’s Restaurant. – You can get anything you want at Alice’s Restaurant – The restaurant and roads around it were where Twist of the Wrist was shot. Get onto 9 at Saratoga Gap and that will take you right down into Santa Cruz. Make sure you go to the Pier and Boardwalk

1 north of the Golden Gate is also spectacular. Head north over the bridge on the 101 and take the turn off for Marin City. Stay on 1 and that will take you down to Muir beach (checkout Muir woods if you have time) – Stinson Beach, Point Reyes Station (stop at the Bovine Bakery they have the best muffins ever) and Bogeda Bay where they filmed The Birds. Just watch out for the Eucalyptus berries in spots, it’s like riding on marbles. Also make sure you have a head for heights in some places it’s a 300 foot drop directly into the Pacific with no guard rails. I went up there with a friend and he had to turn around, unfortunately for him going south is much worse as you are in the lane closest to the edge.

If it’s a day trip I would go to Jenner, gas up and turn around. If you want to camp, keep going up to Eureka and then take 36 across to Red Bluff and Chester, and take 70 and 86 down to Tahoe. There are some nice roads around the lake. If you the head south on 395 it will take you into the Sierras. Take the 120 that takes you past Mt Dana and through Yosemite. You can branch off on the 41 that will take you through Sierra Nevada.

South of the peninsula from Santa Cruz you can take 1 to Gilroy then the 156 to Hollister. There a lot of really cool little backroads that you can head south on until you pick up Carmel Valley Road. Head west on Carmel Valley Road and you will see a road called Laurles Grade. Take it as it’s insane and that brings you out at Laguna Seca. From there you can head west into Monterey or Carmel By The Sea for some great food. That’s where Clint Eastwood lives and he has a couple of restaurants. He sometimes stops in to play the piano at night.

As Kiley mentioned you can head down 1 from Monterey through Big Sur. Stop in San Simeon and get a tour of William Randolph Hearst’s house. When you get to Morro Bay, take 58 to 33 and take 33 down to Ventura. 33 is one of my favourite roads. Like something out of the Swiss Alps.

There are a few good roads around LA. North is Angels Crest, and if you take the 1 from Santa Monica north through Malibu there are a couple of amazing canyons, Topanga and Malibu, that head north towards the 101 and bring you onto Mulholland.

If you go further south below LA into the beach cities it gets pretty boring as its all interstate and urban sprawl but south east of LA you can head out to Palm Springs and spend some times on the 243 and 74. Stop off in Palm Springs and go see Sinatra’s and Liberace’s house :) You can do a circuit of the Joshua Tree national park from Palm Springs

You can also head north from LA (or south east from San Francisco) to Sequoia National Park and Death Valley. If you can get a BMW, there is nothing like driving across the lake bed at 100 mph. It’s dead flat.

There are no shortage of places to ride in California and its great just exploring little fire roads or minor roads in the Sierra’s and Sequoia National Park, but if you want to go out of state the Humboldt National Forrest in Nevada is beautiful, and you could easily make it to the grand Canyon.

I think it’s a good time of year to do it. It should be in the 80’s and you will probably get away with a pair of pants and jacket. It’s also good to bring a heated vest as once you get up into the Sierra’s there will still be snow and it looks beautiful but the temperature quickly drops. At night in the high desert temperature can also drop to below freezing.

In terms of accommodation, you can probably get an OK hotel like a Courtyard for just over $120 as long as you stay away from the tourist traps, and camping is cheap. It’s very safe as well. You can pull off the side of the road in the mountains or desert.

As far as attractions go I’d recommend walking over the Golden gate and visiting Alcatraz, although you have to book your tour Alcatraz 3 months in advance. In SF stay away from the tourist traps like Fisherman’s Warf and North Beach. Haight-Ashbury, Twin Peaks, The Castro and The Tenderloin are less commercialized. I would definitely try to go to Santa Cruz, Carmel, Marin Headlands, and Napa or Sonoma, although Napa is more build up than you would think and the roads are pretty boring.

You will have fun :)

Thanks for this. My company has a Biz Dev guy that lives in Sacramento. He sent me the GPX files for a lot of these routes. I'll try to merge yours with his.

He also recommended HWY 35 and 9 and HWY 1 North of the Golden Gate Bridge and HWY 33 as must rides. It's great when they are recommended by the locals.

He also hooked me up with BMW of San Jose to help out with a rental, although I'll probably take my own. Either ship it or ride down.

I did 3 days down and 3 days back if I remember correctly.

Thanks Kiley. Three days is reasonable. I've pretty much settled on taking my own bike. Its just determining if I ride or ship. In late March the weather may not be great in the Northern States.

He also recommended HWY 35 and 9 and HWY 1 North of the Golden Gate Bridge and HWY 33 as must rides. It's great when they are recommended by the locals.

You wanna add 175 into that.

Thanks for this. My company has a Biz Dev guy that lives in Sacramento. He sent me the GPX files for a lot of these routes. I'll try to merge yours with his.

He also hooked me up with BMW of San Jose to help out with a rental, although I'll probably take my own. Either ship it or ride down.

Happy to help. Just ping me when you are getting close. I may be able sync up with you if I'm not traveling

I blazed to Billings MT then took like 5 days to get to the coastline.
Its a hell of a long ride to get out there.
Then I spent a week on a couch relaxing and watching Jerry Springer lol.
Motels....I never spent more than $90 USD.
I used Motel 6 / Super 8 / Americas Best / Best Western.
Like i said i never booked ahead of time i just road till i felt i had gone far enough.
I used Hotelcoupons.com when i could.
i like a place with a bar / tavern close by if i felt i needed a couple of beers.
I was given some pretty good advice from the owner of Alpine Lodge in Red Lodge MT.
He said i could travel this way if i wanted but i had to start looking for a room no later than 6pm otherwise all the rooms would be gone.
I used this as a guide and i never got burned once.
I check into a motel 6 in Coos Bay and it was pretty empty.
went and grabbed some diner and came back and ate and updated my blog.
Came out of my room and the parking lot was full of bikes.
The time frame that i did it in was perfect (end of july beginning of aug)
I also did a ***** load of research over the winter.
Fire away anymore questions :)

Let's keep this thread going.

I'm in a quit-my-job-early-next year type of mood and riding/flying my bike out to the west coast for some riding may be in the cards.

Some good resources for scenic, twisty roads:

http://motorcycleroads.us/states/ca.html
http://www.bestbikingroads.com/moto...rides-in-united-states-/california-_-670.html
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/California_80.html

KOA Camping was super expensive in California, it's kind of crazy. I think $40USD was the average. You can get a room from AirBnB for that price. http://www.airbnb.com

March/April is still kind of cool, even in SoCal. You're looking at mid-teens to low-20s during the day and single digits when the sun sets. Colder in Northern California and in the mountains. So bring appropriate gear for those temps.

If you want to use your credit card at the pump in the US, you can use this trick when asked for a 5-digit US zip code:

When prompted, Canadians can now enter the three numbers in their postal code, and two zeroes.So, if your postal code is A2B 3C4, you enter 23400.

If you want to use your credit card at the pump in the US, you can use this trick when asked for a 5-digit US zip code:

attachment.php

Attachments

• weebay.jpg
    weebay.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 71
I blazed to Billings MT then took like 5 days to get to the coastline.
Its a hell of a long ride to get out there.
Then I spent a week on a couch relaxing and watching Jerry Springer lol.
Motels....I never spent more than $90 USD.
I used Motel 6 / Super 8 / Americas Best / Best Western.
Like i said i never booked ahead of time i just road till i felt i had gone far enough.
I used Hotelcoupons.com when i could.
i like a place with a bar / tavern close by if i felt i needed a couple of beers.
I was given some pretty good advice from the owner of Alpine Lodge in Red Lodge MT.
He said i could travel this way if i wanted but i had to start looking for a room no later than 6pm otherwise all the rooms would be gone.
I used this as a guide and i never got burned once.
I check into a motel 6 in Coos Bay and it was pretty empty.
went and grabbed some diner and came back and ate and updated my blog.
Came out of my room and the parking lot was full of bikes.
The time frame that i did it in was perfect (end of july beginning of aug)
I also did a ***** load of research over the winter.
Fire away anymore questions :)

Good information. BTW, your blog is great

Delboy.

I have been in touch with TFX and they will need and address to ship to. Can you recommend some sort of a holding facility in San Francisco?

Shipping my own is much cheaper than renting

When prompted, Canadians can now enter the three numbers in their postal code, and two zeroes.So, if your postal code is A2B 3C4, you enter 23400.

Where were you 5 years ago :) Do you know the amount of gas I've bought on a Canadian Card where I have to leave my visa with the cashier because I couldn't figure out how to punch in my postal code.

This is the best piece of information that has ever been posted on this forum ;)

Delboy.

I have been in touch with TFX and they will need and address to ship to. Can you recommend some sort of a holding facility in San Francisco?

Shipping my own is much cheaper than renting

I assume you mean a facility that will receive the bike and hold it until you show up. I don't know but I will ask around. I'm sure there would be.

I'll sent you a pm with my number. Give me a call. If its one bike I may be able to help you out. If there are 20 of you coming its probably too big a group.

Another suggestion is that I'll ask our Biz Dev Director if her husband would accept take the shipment. He owns BMW Motorcycles of SF. I don't think he will care if its a BMW or not. I believe the Caltrain station is two blocks away so it will be an easy pickup from the airport. That will have to be next week as I'm travelling this week

Micmerg, Delboy. Thanks for the offers. That's what I like about this board. There are always a few people willing to go out of their way to help.

There will be 2 bikes and I don't mind paying.

The BMW dealer sounds interesting as it seems to be most convenient to the airport. I just googled it. Lets see if we can make that option #1. Could you ask?

Micmerg. If I were to ship to your warehouse, is that easily accessible by public transit?

This is a great thread.

I've done a combination of the 101 and 1 all the way from Vancouver to LA a number of times.

I've also ridden a number of the roads recommended above. I like 35/9, 33 and the 120/41 in the mountains is brilliant !!!

Since you are bringing your own bike, have you though about going down into Mexico? Riding down Baja is brilliant. I've done it twice, all the way from Tijuana to Cabo san Lucas. It will be a 10 day/2 week commitment but the scenery and some of the desert trails will blow you away. Its worth considering if you have an adventure type bike

I also just wanted to put in a plug for BMW of San Francisco. I ripped open the original left side bag on my GS going through a gate in a trail. My gear was strewn everywhere and I had a 1500km ride home. I threw everything into a garbage bag and rode to BMW with it on my lap.

The shop was closing and they didn't have a replacement bag but the mechanic spent almost 3 hours cutting little aluminium plates and pop riveting and JB Welding the bag back together. It got me home. Great customer service.

I don't want to hijack this thread but being fairly new to east riding coast, I'm going to start another thread to get some recommendations on where to ride in east coast Canada/US.

I'd tend to look over the threads already existing on US east and there are many on the Canadian East. Better I'd say to wait until you are ready to plan a specific ride as OP is.

Good information. BTW, your blog is great

The blog was great but could be a pita sometimes.
I now know what Gene goes through when he does his :)
My family and friends really liked it and expected it on a daily basis.
Because of time change they wanted to read it in the morning and if it wasn't updated then they would pm the ***** out of me till i did lol.
I could do the blog but it was really hard to upload the pics to photobucket and post on here like Gene does so i didn't bother and just concentrated on the blog.
Thanks for the compliment.

Nice ride yesterday. The temperatures in SF is around about 17 so it was very pleasant. Took a ride east and did a loop through Yosimite and back.

Lots of snow. It looks like about 2 feet but the roads were great, just damp with some snow melt run off. Heated jacket was needed in the mountains as it was about 9.

Going out to hose off the bike :)

Back
Top Bottom