California and US West Coast | GTAMotorcycle.com

California and US West Coast

j2

We just got our bonus amounts at work and the company had a very good year, so what better way to celebrate than to head down to California at the end or March or in early April for 4 weeks, rent bikes and blow it all. As the song goes, "I'm here for a good time, not a long time" :)

Has anyone done this. I have a lot of questions.

Where is the best place to rent? I would prefer a sports touring bike rather than a cruiser.

Anything specific I need interims of driver license or insurance and can I cross state lines?

Gear recommendations, what to bring?

What are the must travel roads?

What are the must see places?

Accommodations? Hotel, hostel, camping?

I'm really looking to plan out an itinerary to try and get the most seat time so any input would be great.

TIA :)

I rented from Eagle Rider about 14 years ago in LA. I rented a 883 sportster and I'm not sure what other bikes they offer.

We just got our bonus amounts at work and the company had a very good year, so what better way to celebrate than to head down to California at the end or March or in early April for 4 weeks, rent bikes and blow it all. As the song goes, "I'm here for a good time, not a long time" :)

Has anyone done this. I have a lot of questions.

Where is the best place to rent? I would prefer a sports touring bike rather than a cruiser.

TIA :)

I was planning the same thing ... maybe going down to Cali for a week in January. The rental place I was looking at was http://www.racyrentals.com

I did 3-day PCH tour via The Roadery (Eaglerider's hipster offshoot) 2 summers back. Picked up the bike in SF and stayed in Monterrey/Carmel the first night, Pismo beach the second night and dropped the bike back in LA on the third day.

Great trip and all the hotels/motels were well placed to get you back on Highway 1 easily.

OP why not fly or truck your own bike out..( there is a thread here )

You are a bit early for the mountain riding tho.

I rented from Eagle Rider about 14 years ago in LA. I rented a 883 sportster and I'm not sure what other bikes they offer.

Google eagle rider. Host of various bikes including BMW and Honda etc. Depends on what area/city etc.

But they have a bunch of yours, guided, not guided and have multi day rides with accommodations.

Don't know about renting a bike for the entire time down there? Might get a little spendy.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Kiley said you can ride down, some sections are really beautiful, or you could ship with someone like TFX. It’s probably not going to cost any more than renting a bike.

If you are renting I would try to get an adventure/tourer. It’s easy to get a Multistrada which is more on the tourer side and there are some places that rent 1200/800GS BMW’s that will let you explorer a little further off road. They come with bags and insurance. Your Ontario license is fine.

Some of my favourite rides are in Northern California….

The 35/9 combination is great. Start at Crystal Springs Reservoir on the 280 and keep going on 35/Skyline. Stop off for a burger at Alice’s Restaurant. – You can get anything you want at Alice’s Restaurant – The restaurant and roads around it were where Twist of the Wrist was shot. Get onto 9 at Saratoga Gap and that will take you right down into Santa Cruz. Make sure you go to the Pier and Boardwalk

1 north of the Golden Gate is also spectacular. Head north over the bridge on the 101 and take the turn off for Marin City. Stay on 1 and that will take you down to Muir beach (checkout Muir woods if you have time) – Stinson Beach, Point Reyes Station (stop at the Bovine Bakery they have the best muffins ever) and Bogeda Bay where they filmed The Birds. Just watch out for the Eucalyptus berries in spots, it’s like riding on marbles. Also make sure you have a head for heights in some places it’s a 300 foot drop directly into the Pacific with no guard rails. I went up there with a friend and he had to turn around, unfortunately for him going south is much worse as you are in the lane closest to the edge.

If it’s a day trip I would go to Jenner, gas up and turn around. If you want to camp, keep going up to Eureka and then take 36 across to Red Bluff and Chester, and take 70 and 86 down to Tahoe. There are some nice roads around the lake. If you the head south on 395 it will take you into the Sierras. Take the 120 that takes you past Mt Dana and through Yosemite. You can branch off on the 41 that will take you through Sierra Nevada.

South of the peninsula from Santa Cruz you can take 1 to Gilroy then the 156 to Hollister. There a lot of really cool little backroads that you can head south on until you pick up Carmel Valley Road. Head west on Carmel Valley Road and you will see a road called Laurles Grade. Take it as it’s insane and that brings you out at Laguna Seca. From there you can head west into Monterey or Carmel By The Sea for some great food. That’s where Clint Eastwood lives and he has a couple of restaurants. He sometimes stops in to play the piano at night.

As Kiley mentioned you can head down 1 from Monterey through Big Sur. Stop in San Simeon and get a tour of William Randolph Hearst’s house. When you get to Morro Bay, take 58 to 33 and take 33 down to Ventura. 33 is one of my favourite roads. Like something out of the Swiss Alps.

There are a few good roads around LA. North is Angels Crest, and if you take the 1 from Santa Monica north through Malibu there are a couple of amazing canyons, Topanga and Malibu, that head north towards the 101 and bring you onto Mulholland.

If you go further south below LA into the beach cities it gets pretty boring as its all interstate and urban sprawl but south east of LA you can head out to Palm Springs and spend some times on the 243 and 74. Stop off in Palm Springs and go see Sinatra’s and Liberace’s house :) You can do a circuit of the Joshua Tree national park from Palm Springs

You can also head north from LA (or south east from San Francisco) to Sequoia National Park and Death Valley. If you can get a BMW, there is nothing like driving across the lake bed at 100 mph. It’s dead flat.

There are no shortage of places to ride in California and its great just exploring little fire roads or minor roads in the Sierra’s and Sequoia National Park, but if you want to go out of state the Humboldt National Forrest in Nevada is beautiful, and you could easily make it to the grand Canyon.

I think it’s a good time of year to do it. It should be in the 80’s and you will probably get away with a pair of pants and jacket. It’s also good to bring a heated vest as once you get up into the Sierra’s there will still be snow and it looks beautiful but the temperature quickly drops. At night in the high desert temperature can also drop to below freezing.

In terms of accommodation, you can probably get an OK hotel like a Courtyard for just over $120 as long as you stay away from the tourist traps, and camping is cheap. It’s very safe as well. You can pull off the side of the road in the mountains or desert.

As far as attractions go I’d recommend walking over the Golden gate and visiting Alcatraz, although you have to book your tour Alcatraz 3 months in advance. In SF stay away from the tourist traps like Fisherman’s Warf and North Beach. Haight-Ashbury, Twin Peaks, The Castro and The Tenderloin are less commercialized. I would definitely try to go to Santa Cruz, Carmel, Marin Headlands, and Napa or Sonoma, although Napa is more build up than you would think and the roads are pretty boring.

You will have fun :)

Thanks to all. This is exactly the sort of information I was looking for.

Kiley, how long did it take you to ride down? Shipping is also a great suggestion. I can afford to be without the bike for a couple of weeks as the season will not have started in Toronto.

I did 3 days down and 3 days back if I remember correctly.
I wouldn't do it any faster than that.
Keep in mind my trip it was 1400 km down and 1400 km back
I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Greatest trip of my life.
I never planned any motel rooms and just stopped when I felt like it.
Spent quite a few hours in Depot Bay watching the whales just for the he'll of it.
I don't know if I'll ever get to do a trip like that ever again but I sure would love to try.
I think an ideal trip would be fly myself and bike to BC...ride down to GG Bridge and back up to Washington...make my way to Glacier Park then up to Banff and fly me and bike from Calgary to home.
Imo you hit all the best riding...all the best sites...and you miss all the boring slabbing of the Midwest and all the days you would spend riding the Midwest.

God I hope I can pull this off

Last edited:
A few things to consider from my perspective:
- if you use a rental, make sure you can carry/attach your luggage
- again if on a rental and you are used to navigate with GPS, consider how are you gonna have one (power, mounting, BYOD vs renting)
- California is a helmet state. Suggest bringing your own.
- bring your own gear, including cold weather and rain gear.
- your DL is good all over the US
- rental company is providing insurance (is mandatory and usually not included in the rental rate), no need to worry except for the money involved
- Crossing state lines is seamless, the only thing that changes are helmet laws (but if you are ATGATT it wont matter)
- Bring a lunch bag, fill it with bottled water (two bottles cold, two bottles frozen). This could provide you cold water in the desert even if it's hot outside.
- I would not recommend camping, for this type of trip, mostly for the logistics that go with it and my displeasure of packing the tent every day

- Death Valley is stunning / must see. If you have enough time plan a trip there.
- Pacific Coast Highway is also nice

Have fun.

For the people that did the California ride along the coast . How much were the hotel's along the route ?

I can't wait to try all of these thanks!

As Kiley said you can ride down, some sections are really beautiful, or you could ship with someone like TFX. It’s probably not going to cost any more than renting a bike.

If you are renting I would try to get an adventure/tourer. It’s easy to get a Multistrada which is more on the tourer side and there are some places that rent 1200/800GS BMW’s that will let you explorer a little further off road. They come with bags and insurance. Your Ontario license is fine.

Some of my favourite rides are in Northern California….

The 35/9 combination is great. Start at Crystal Springs Reservoir on the 280 and keep going on 35/Skyline. Stop off for a burger at Alice’s Restaurant. – You can get anything you want at Alice’s Restaurant – The restaurant and roads around it were where Twist of the Wrist was shot. Get onto 9 at Saratoga Gap and that will take you right down into Santa Cruz. Make sure you go to the Pier and Boardwalk

1 north of the Golden Gate is also spectacular. Head north over the bridge on the 101 and take the turn off for Marin City. Stay on 1 and that will take you down to Muir beach (checkout Muir woods if you have time) – Stinson Beach, Point Reyes Station (stop at the Bovine Bakery they have the best muffins ever) and Bogeda Bay where they filmed The Birds. Just watch out for the Eucalyptus berries in spots, it’s like riding on marbles. Also make sure you have a head for heights in some places it’s a 300 foot drop directly into the Pacific with no guard rails. I went up there with a friend and he had to turn around, unfortunately for him going south is much worse as you are in the lane closest to the edge.

If it’s a day trip I would go to Jenner, gas up and turn around. If you want to camp, keep going up to Eureka and then take 36 across to Red Bluff and Chester, and take 70 and 86 down to Tahoe. There are some nice roads around the lake. If you the head south on 395 it will take you into the Sierras. Take the 120 that takes you past Mt Dana and through Yosemite. You can branch off on the 41 that will take you through Sierra Nevada.

South of the peninsula from Santa Cruz you can take 1 to Gilroy then the 156 to Hollister. There a lot of really cool little backroads that you can head south on until you pick up Carmel Valley Road. Head west on Carmel Valley Road and you will see a road called Laurles Grade. Take it as it’s insane and that brings you out at Laguna Seca. From there you can head west into Monterey or Carmel By The Sea for some great food. That’s where Clint Eastwood lives and he has a couple of restaurants. He sometimes stops in to play the piano at night.

As Kiley mentioned you can head down 1 from Monterey through Big Sur. Stop in San Simeon and get a tour of William Randolph Hearst’s house. When you get to Morro Bay, take 58 to 33 and take 33 down to Ventura. 33 is one of my favourite roads. Like something out of the Swiss Alps.

There are a few good roads around LA. North is Angels Crest, and if you take the 1 from Santa Monica north through Malibu there are a couple of amazing canyons, Topanga and Malibu, that head north towards the 101 and bring you onto Mulholland.

If you go further south below LA into the beach cities it gets pretty boring as its all interstate and urban sprawl but south east of LA you can head out to Palm Springs and spend some times on the 243 and 74. Stop off in Palm Springs and go see Sinatra’s and Liberace’s house :) You can do a circuit of the Joshua Tree national park from Palm Springs

You can also head north from LA (or south east from San Francisco) to Sequoia National Park and Death Valley. If you can get a BMW, there is nothing like driving across the lake bed at 100 mph. It’s dead flat.

There are no shortage of places to ride in California and its great just exploring little fire roads or minor roads in the Sierra’s and Sequoia National Park, but if you want to go out of state the Humboldt National Forrest in Nevada is beautiful, and you could easily make it to the grand Canyon.

I think it’s a good time of year to do it. It should be in the 80’s and you will probably get away with a pair of pants and jacket. It’s also good to bring a heated vest as once you get up into the Sierra’s there will still be snow and it looks beautiful but the temperature quickly drops. At night in the high desert temperature can also drop to below freezing.

In terms of accommodation, you can probably get an OK hotel like a Courtyard for just over $120 as long as you stay away from the tourist traps, and camping is cheap. It’s very safe as well. You can pull off the side of the road in the mountains or desert.

As far as attractions go I’d recommend walking over the Golden gate and visiting Alcatraz, although you have to book your tour Alcatraz 3 months in advance. In SF stay away from the tourist traps like Fisherman’s Warf and North Beach. Haight-Ashbury, Twin Peaks, The Castro and The Tenderloin are less commercialized. I would definitely try to go to Santa Cruz, Carmel, Marin Headlands, and Napa or Sonoma, although Napa is more build up than you would think and the roads are pretty boring.

You will have fun :)

Buy an annual National Parks pass ...it's $80 I think ....each park is $25 so it pays off quickly.

PCH is gorgeous but depending on the day is slow with tourists and bicycle trekkers.

hd%252520montery%252520bay.jpg

Screen%252520Shot%2525202013-12-13%252520at%252520Dec%25252C%25252013%252520%252520%252520%2525202013%252520%252520%252520%2525208.07.07%252520AM.jpg

Sequoia is spectacular but will be cold as will all the high parks including Yosemite. Mount St Helens is a must see not far off the coast as well as Bryce, Zion and Arches if you get over to Utah.

US Parks are gems.
Mt St Helens and Yosemite are both within your easy range from the PCH
The road up to Glacier Point will be a challenge

Screen%252520Shot%2525202014-04-03%252520at%252520Apr%25252C%2525203%252520%252520%252520%2525202014%252520%252520%252520%2525205.09.03%252520PM.jpg

There is a 180 with no guard rail that is a white knuckler in any vehicle...it's a loooooong way down.

An odd one just because I just got back last week, is 175 off 101 to Clearlake ....this is just north of San Fran...also the coast road ( not 101) but HWY 1
Here's the map
https://goo.gl/maps/KLk9BLfPtVz

Bogeda Bay where they filmed The Birds.
Had a lovely lunch there last week....deep fried artichoke was yummy.

You need to understand tho you cannot make any speed on the PCH or some of the roads like 175 ...so be modest in daily distance expectations.
There ar lots of AirBnB about but that means planning ahead.

You can whet your appetite here :D
https://picasaweb.google.com/113408714888195024530

BTW the California Science Centre in the Golden Gate Park is a must see...plan for lunch (it's terrific food ) and the whole Golden Gate park is spectacular.
San Fran is superb city but slow to get around.

The best of the PCH is to the south of it Big Sur, Monterey, Carmel, down as far as San Louis Obispo.

Last edited:
I concur - May is better ...still before the May 24th madness at the parks and before the schools are out but the parks are in perfect condition.
I recall when we did the Grand Canyon too many decades ago ( up and down in a day ....hardest physical thing I've ever done in my life ) ....even places like Joshua Tree were cold and Yosemite was still closed late April...just about froze to death in Sequoia after locking keys in car - park deserted - us in running clothes. On bike the high country would be miserable and even along the coast .....the ocean current is cold so later is better.

I can't wait to try all of these thanks!

We're actually planning to do 41 and 120 on Saturday. Apparently there is snow already. Mammoth are reporting a 24-48" base. It should be spectacular, all white and pristine.

The key to winter riding in the Serria's is the Bike and Tires. A GS1200 or 800 with TKC80's does a good job and can be rented.

For the people that did the California ride along the coast . How much were the hotel's along the route ?

It depends where you stay, the time of year and how much luxury you are looking for.

For example, once you are outside of the Bay Area or the Greater LA area you can get a cheaper motel/hotel like Motel 6 or a Best Western for under $70 or 80 a night. Expedia and Hotels.com have some good deals. You can get a Courtyard from between $100-120.

If you were to go to Carmel/Monterey in August during the Concours d'Elegance a cheap motel could be around $600 a night

Once you are in the urban areas prices go up a lot. A Courtyard in San Francisco or San Jose is typically between $200 and $250.

Camping is also a great way to get around. There are some really good facilities all up and down the coast and in the mountains, or for a one off you can camp in the High Desert. That's one of my favourite things and California is safe. Camping in the desert is almost like a scene from an Eagles album cover.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom