Plate obstruction -- ********* ticket | GTAMotorcycle.com

Plate obstruction -- ********* ticket

suzuki2000

My son was out in my car earlier this evening at a friends, coming home he got pulled over by a cop, says he was going 15 over (he owns that) but the cop decided to throw a plate obstruction ticket on top for hm, $110 with the $25 "victim surcharge" :rolleyes:

The obstruction? one of the dealership plastic trim things. (see picture, i edited ut my number ;) )
All that was obstructed was the tag line yours too discover. Legally is it obstructed by the letter of the law, yes, but this is a dick move to give this ticket to a 16 year old kid driving his parents car.
He was polite (he says) to the cop and even apologized as it took him a minute to find the ownership and insurance where I keep it.

Glad to know the cops are keeping the roads safe. Total powertrip.

plate%20obstruct_zpsqtmsdx44.png

Total dick move, imo. Yes, not supposed to have anything on it, but everyone does. Hope it gets dropped.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

charge the dealership for putting it there?????

Seriously though...how many tinted plate covers do you see? Those obstruct more than the trim.

Anyone have the actual description of what needs to be visible?

Last edited:
Gotta meet that end of month quota. And 16yo boys are easy targets. Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The cop really wants to see you guys in court.

On a different topic, tinted plate covers have to go away, why would anyone want to obscure the license plate? Anyways..

Wow that's pretty sad.

I would fight that one just to make the officer look stupid in court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously though...how many tinted plate covers do you see? Those obstruct more than the trim.

Anyone have the actual description of what needs to be visible?

Exactly. If the numbers are fully legible who cares if the trim is off a bit.

The point is that the plate is readable in the event of a crash, hit/run, gas theft, 407 ETR etc.

This one I would fight with a simple photo.

To Serve and Protect eh? From what?! What a joke. Yup, take that one to court for sure! (Not before having a beer with your kid and getting the full, honest story. ie. 40 over knocked down to 15? Attitude with the officer? Etc.)

Also file a complaint with whatever PD he belongs to.

So, what did you say to your kid?

To Serve and Protect eh? From what?! What a joke. Yup, take that one to court for sure! (Not before having a beer with your kid and getting the full, honest story. ie. 40 over knocked down to 15? Attitude with the officer? Etc.)

I know id isn't perfect, but I a certain he was polite, he apologized to the cop when it took him a minute to find the ownership and insurance. Honestly, think he was probably sh-ting his pants..

Because giving a 16 year a $110 penalty for something this trivial makes what point? If I get dinged for speeding and its my car, and you want to toss this on, have at it....
Its my car, I will cover this fine, Son gets to cover his ticket

When get asked to support some cop charity, they can suck a bag of *****, they already robbed me of the money I earmarked for that...

So, what did you say to your kid?

Told my kid he owns the speeding ticket and mind his speedgoing forward. He normally drives like aturtle. He will need to keep his noseclean now, hope his insurance doesn’t rape him.
The place he got dinged (not excusing it) is a trap area,rural road off an intersection going down hill, way too easy to run up overthem limit, and you are a sitting duck.
The plate fine, I will deal with that, not fair that he getsthis fine, its my car, I will cover it begrudgingly

My son was out in my car earlier this evening at a friends, coming home he got pulled over by a cop, says he was going 15 over (he owns that) but the cop decided to throw a plate obstruction ticket on top for hm, $110 with the $25 "victim surcharge" :rolleyes:

The obstruction? one of the dealership plastic trim things. (see picture, i edited ut my number ;) )
All that was obstructed was the tag line yours too discover. Legally is it obstructed by the letter of the law, yes, but this is a dick move to give this ticket to a 16 year old kid driving his parents car.
He was polite (he says) to the cop and even apologized as it took him a minute to find the ownership and insurance where I keep it.

Glad to know the cops are keeping the roads safe. Total powertrip.

Prick. I would file a report with the PD and ask teach your kid how the court system works I.e. fight it.

I have a squeaky clean record; not even a caution. Early last saturday I was driving downtown and took a left, not noticing the sign said no left between mon-sat; as I pulled up from behind a streetcar - at quick glance I thought it read mon-fri like most other signs in my area. By-the-book cop issued me a $110 ticket... yes, i understand I broke "the law", but ffs...

Both of your articles are referencing plate covers.

First article references both.

"Plastic frames that hug your licence plate while proclaiming your allegiance to the Maple Leafs or that you are a proud soccer mom can also land you a ticket, even if the numbers and letters at the centre of plate are clear.

"They have a tendency to cover the 'Ontario' designation and the 'Yours to Discover'," Const. Stibbe explains. "On its face that doesn't' seem very important, but when you are dealing with a car that is going out of country or one that's coming in from say, the United States--if certain parts of those plates are covered, it would in some cases not allow the officers to know what state that plate may be coming from." - See more at: http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/20...er-newstalk-1010-queries#sthash.sU4YSYNu.dpuf "

It comes up in the news regularly every couple of years. I've asked my service garage in past to stop putting their plate frames on my cars and trucks. Tacky tacky advertising.

First article references both.

"Plastic frames that hug your licence plate while proclaiming your allegiance to the Maple Leafs or that you are a proud soccer mom can also land you a ticket, even if the numbers and letters at the centre of plate are clear.

"They have a tendency to cover the 'Ontario' designation and the 'Yours to Discover'," Const. Stibbe explains. "On its face that doesn't' seem very important, but when you are dealing with a car that is going out of country or one that's coming in from say, the United States--if certain parts of those plates are covered, it would in some cases not allow the officers to know what state that plate may be coming from." - See more at: http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/20...er-newstalk-1010-queries#sthash.sU4YSYNu.dpuf "

It comes up in the news regularly every couple of years. I've asked my service garage in past to stop putting their plate frames on my cars and trucks. Tacky tacky advertising.

Touché.

Regardless I think it's a stupid ticket to hand out. With a dealer installed plate the appropriate thing to do is to inform the driver that they should remove it.

Giving out that ticket is a dick move and its stuff like this that makes us think cops are ********.

Back
Top Bottom