Plate obstruction -- ********* ticket | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Plate obstruction -- ********* ticket

IIRC 14 or less is zero points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My bad. Well dammit, why wouldn't he drop it to 14 over then?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

My bad. Well dammit, why wouldn't he drop it to 14 over then?

Because he didn't need to in order to get down to no demerits. 16 and over is when demerit points start to kick in.

For the kid, demerit points are important because G1/G2/M1/M2 drivers have a lower demerit threshold where demerit point accumulation will trigger interview and license suspensions.

The problem with fighting the 15 over is that the prosecutor will probably choose to amend the charge so the kid is now fighting a 20-over ticket. While the insurance repercussions between 15-over and 20-over are no difference, the demerit points are.

For a G2 licenced driver, yes, the points matter for the simple reason you can't get many of them before you find yourself without a licence, but for the record, insurance companies themselves don't pay as much attention to demerit points as some would think [citation], they're more concerned with the actual infraction (and the number of them) than the number of points on your record.

In other words, get enough speeding tickets with 0 points attached and they're going to raise your rates...even though you may still have 0 points on your record.

And FWIW, I think the officer sticking the plate obstruction charge on after the fact was a bit of a F-You as well, although to play devil's advocate, as someone else also suggested, I'm left wondering if the kid was as polite as he suggests he was - this smacks of something an officer would do when the driver has decided to be a dick from the moment he walked up to the side of the car.

Last edited:
For a G2 licenced driver, yes, the points matter for the simple reason you can't get many of them before you find yourself without a licence, but for the record, insurance companies themselves don't pay as much attention to demerit points as some would think [citation], they're more concerned with the actual infraction (and the number of them) than the number of points on your record.

In other words, get enough speeding tickets with 0 points attached and they're going to raise your rates...even though you may still have 0 points on your record.

And FWIW, I think the officer sticking the plate obstruction charge on after the fact was a bit of a F-You as well, although to play devil's advocate, as someone else also suggested, I'm left wondering if the kid was as polite as he suggests he was - this smacks of something an officer would do when the driver has decided to be a dick from the moment he walked up to the side of the car.

Insurance won't be much of an issue if the kid finds himself without a license because he reached the lower for novice driver demerit point threshold. That's why I said that the difference in demerits between 15 and 20 over is an issue for this kid. One more 3-point ticket for 16 km over or for running a stop or a red, or for a variety of other offences will put his license in jeopardy, never mind the insurance repercussions.

That's why fighting the speeding ticket (and risking 3 points when the prosecutor prosecutes on 20 over) may not be the best idea. The first goal is keeping one's license free of potential suspensions. Dealing with insurance issues is pointless if you have no license to start with.

Insurance won't be much of an issue if the kid finds himself without a license because he reached the lower for novice driver demerit point threshold.

Agreed, I think we were just looking at things from 2 different perspectives. A lot of people think that points have a lot to do with insurance penalties when in reality they don't, but your perspective is also very valid given the situation.

Is it possible your son said something to the cop to tick off the cop? It might be a punishment ticket.

Is it possible your son said something to the cop to tick off the cop? It might be a punishment ticket.

You know what, I wasn't there so I can't say, but knowing him, no he isn't a punk brat... Learning some things about the cop from people who know him or have been nabbed by him, (small town) this is his MO.

We are moving forward getting our son educated about this, understanding his options and preparing him for all possible outcomes

Last edited:
Kind of a bummer deal, I bet you'd rather be riding amirite?

I just checked the plates on my Elantra and I'm guilty of not encouraging people to Discover Ontario.

You guys had it right. 15 over is no points.

I've had 3 15 overs in the last half decade (all reduced from dizzying 20-25 over). Then I read about the demerit points. It's good to see we're back on track.

I just checked the plates on my Elantra and I'm guilty of not encouraging people to Discover Ontario.

along with probably 95% of NA cars....

I'm 50/50...depends on which end of the car you look at. Thought mine aren't actually a dealer trim. I remove those...they don't pay me to advertise for them.

Just a FYI to those here as I didn't know it until I found out online -- If you hold a GM2, your total allowable points is on the LOWEST class of license...meaning, the M2. This means even if you got ticketed a few times in your car, your license will be suspended quicker than if you held a G or GM class license.

Just a FYI to those here as I didn't know it until I found out online -- If you hold a GM2, your total allowable points is on the LOWEST class of license...meaning, the M2. This means even if you got ticketed a few times in your car, your license will be suspended quicker than if you held a G or GM class license.

All the more reason to get that full M as soon as you can instead of waiting... Not only that...I was pulled over in my car back in the day with my GM2 and it took some explaining to the cop that it was a G with an M2, he was ready to throw the book at the guy with the G2 doing 20 over...

Interesting...can you post a link to the details please? I don't think this is actually true as evidenced by this "Dealing with particular situations" page below:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section2.10.2.shtml

Quoting:

Note: Escalating sanctions do not apply in situations where a driver is convicted of an offence resulting in four or more demerit points (or receives a court-ordered suspension for an offence that would have resulted in four or more demerit points) and has one of the following hybrid licence combinations:(a) A G1 or G2 with a Class M licence
(b) An M1 or M2 with a Class A, B, C, D, E, F or G licence

So, as long as you have a second FULL licence class (AKA a full G, not a G1/G2) the sanctions for the M1/M2 won't effect your higher class licence the way they normally would as you are considered a hybrid licence holder.

Your situation would hold true in the case of a M2G2, M1G1, M2G1 etc etc etc class licence holder, however.

Last edited:
I think Yours To Discover is only on Ontario plates.
There's a mother joke in there that I'm refraining from using.

There's a mother joke in there that I'm refraining from using.

Oh, ok I thought your concern might be a plate obstruction at the buffet.

Back
Top Bottom