want to start riding again but unsure of all the collisions lately... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

want to start riding again but unsure of all the collisions lately...

How many of you ride downtown on a regular basis?

I do it now and then (such as riding to work) and it makes me question why i bother. You can never get any speed, the pavement beaten to sh1t, streetcars and their tracks, hobo jaywalkers, hipster byciclists, crazy taxis, idiot SUVs, etc etc. Its an efn wild west.

I did the car commute to the core from 1999-2014, added the bike from 2006-2014. While generally atrocious, the quality of Toronto's drivers/pedestrians/cyclists AND riders has stabilized, though volume has increased. People can't text AND talk at the same time, thank God. In a nutshell, DON'T SPEED and don't outride your sight-lines. Speeding only encourages people behind you to do the same and oncoming traffic will take chances you don't want to take. Sounds obvious but having more reaction time is really necessary to deal with the often hilariously improbable obstacles that appear. The answer to "What are the odds?" when riding in the GTA is ALWAYS "Pretty Good!" The rules make us predictable. Don't throw them out so you can cut a few minutes off the commute. There are enough numb-nuts riders with zero lane discipline using bicycle lanes, shoulders or otherwise wobbling their way to wherever.

True that! The trend now is for drivers to wear earbuds and headphones. I always thought that was against the law. It completely insulates the driver from what is going on around them and I've found them to be very dangerous to be around.
Major problem i also see but is never addressed in Canada is the windshields that are clutter with gps and other units. How some of these folks can drive with reduced visibility i have no idea.
Not sure if its law over here, but aside from the rear view mirror nothing should obstructing your forward view . I wonder if there is a connection with the increased in left turn collisions due to this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
True that! The trend now is for drivers to wear earbuds and headphones. I always thought that was against the law. It completely insulates the driver from what is going on around them and I've found them to be very dangerous to be around.

only true to a minor degree...attenuation does not limit the sounds you hear - it's just reduced in volume. It's why earplugs work.
It does not completely isolate.- it attenuates.

Driving is very much not under your conscious control....just the way walking is not. It's why young drivers don't do well, it's not yet ingrained in their neural skill set so they have to think about things all the time.

Trying to do something manually is the most distracting aspect of driving be it tuning a radio, eating a burger or dialing a number.

I do it now and then (such as riding to work) and it makes me question why i bother. You can never get any speed, the pavement beaten to sh1t, streetcars and their tracks, hobo jaywalkers, hipster byciclists, crazy taxis, idiot SUVs, etc etc. Its an efn wild west.

old toronto is basically where i ride. going around in circles on a track? where's the fun in that?

I do - used to work there until a month ago and I used to live by front and spadina.
Just don't get distracted and ride defensively and don't speed, you will mostly be ok if you follow these rules.

I don't even drive my car downtown if I don't have to. I rode my bike there once and will never do it again. Didn't leave 1st gear and the engine fan ran more times then I can count.

I work downtown btw.

People get injured or killed in car crashes every day. Have you stopped driving your car?

I've also been commuting from Scarborough to Downtown Core for years, and Flywheel is right on his advise, I would just like to press his point on Speed....SPEED KILLS.

To the poster who said no joy in riding downtown or the 4 series Hwys, I would say thats not true, I love the DVP and 401 especially when I get to open the bike up, and let me tell you I work Mon-Fri 9-5 - prime rush hour, and I get plenty of opportunities to open the throttle, both on the way and back -it's not as bad as you make it.

Also at lunch hour in nice weather I finish some errands on my bike or go out for a ride and lunch, always fun watching "Girls in their Summer Cloths Pass You by... - B.Springsteen"

Sometimes just like last night when it was 15c I left work at 5:30 pm went to dinner with my son, and rode home with him on the back around 7:30 pm, the DVP and 401 were clear and a joy, felt like a nice spring evening at the end of November, only the girls were not in their spring cloths.... :(

Sucks today...I was so looking forward to riding in again today, if only the dark clouds and the threat of major temp drop was not ringing on CP24 all morning.

I did the car commute to the core from 1999-2014, added the bike from 2006-2014. While generally atrocious, the quality of Toronto's drivers/pedestrians/cyclists AND riders has stabilized, though volume has increased. People can't text AND talk at the same time, thank God. In a nutshell, DON'T SPEED and don't outride your sight-lines. Speeding only encourages people behind you to do the same and oncoming traffic will take chances you don't want to take. Sounds obvious but having more reaction time is really necessary to deal with the often hilariously improbable obstacles that appear. The answer to "What are the odds?" when riding in the GTA is ALWAYS "Pretty Good!" The rules make us predictable. Don't throw them out so you can cut a few minutes off the commute. There are enough numb-nuts riders with zero lane discipline using bicycle lanes, shoulders or otherwise wobbling their way to wherever.

THIS is exactly what makes downtown riding no fun. I'm constantly tripping and scanning for hazards like some amped up user. If you enjoy doing that, more power to you.

Back country twisties are the best! Can relax, breath in the clean air, and enjoy the curves, and the scenery.

The best way to significantly reduce your chances of getting into an accident is to constantly work on improving your defensive riding skills. In the Spring, I like to take a one day skills enhancement course offered by one of the colleges or recognized schools like RTI. It puts me in the right frame of mind (defense mode) for the riding season. 'Confidence builds competence' and vise versa.

Last edited:
People get injured or killed in car crashes every day. Have you stopped driving your car?

There were 323 fatalities among vehicle operators in 2012. Of these, 54 were motorcycle operators, a ration of 1 in 6 fatalities. Do you think motorcycles account for 1 in 6 vehicles on the road?

If you're a pathetically unskilled or reckless driver, your survival odds are a lot better if you stay in a car and off a motorcycle.

i guess you dont lane filter huh?

riding downtown can be lots of fun if done right

I'll add to this...don't ride in a bad mood where you're going to dwell on the problem. You'll probably end up not concentrating on riding. Any stupidity that's happened because of my own fault has been when I was tired and distracted or just dwelling and mulling on an issue and not thinking about the ride.
I know that you're right, but I'm willing to bet a lot of riders, like myself, ride to get into a better mood. Personally, the second I get on my bike, my mood lightens.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Hello friend, welcome back into the fold biker brethren. Already some good tips and tricks posted. I would only add, consider the type of equipment you'll be helming. Being a snowboarder you're probably sensible, situationally aware and in full command of your extremities. Don't dull these positives by riding one of these grotesquely overweight low slung barges that seem all the rage among the working class. Get a nice handling machine and age gracefully.

LOL. My grotesquely overweight low slung barge is depressed now.

As soon as I hear a rider quote the number of miles he has under his belt, I begin to wonder.

I can only give a close estimate. Now you can wonder. :)

i guess you dont lane filter huh?

riding downtown can be lots of fun if done right

That version of fun will get you tickets and eventually knocked off your bike in this country. Do you recommend speeding and stunting too?

I've also been commuting from Scarborough to Downtown Core for years, and Flywheel is right on his advise, I would just like to press his point on Speed....SPEED KILLS.

To the poster who said no joy in riding downtown or the 4 series Hwys, I would say thats not true, I love the DVP and 401 especially when I get to open the bike up, and let me tell you I work Mon-Fri 9-5 - prime rush hour, and I get plenty of opportunities to open the throttle, both on the way and back -it's not as bad as you make it.

Also at lunch hour in nice weather I finish some errands on my bike or go out for a ride and lunch, always fun watching "Girls in their Summer Cloths Pass You by... - B.Springsteen"

Sometimes just like last night when it was 15c I left work at 5:30 pm went to dinner with my son, and rode home with him on the back around 7:30 pm, the DVP and 401 were clear and a joy, felt like a nice spring evening at the end of November, only the girls were not in their spring cloths.... :(

Sucks today...I was so looking forward to riding in again today, if only the dark clouds and the threat of major temp drop was not ringing on CP24 all morning.

I must be hallucinating all the traffic from the bloor on ramp to the 401 and then the traffic through scarbrough and the backup at Brock Rd in Pickering where I can't drive more then 20km/h.

I do it now and then (such as riding to work) and it makes me question why i bother. You can never get any speed, the pavement beaten to sh1t, streetcars and their tracks, hobo jaywalkers, hipster bicyclists, crazy taxis, idiot SUVs, etc etc. Its an efn wild west.
I've been ridng in the city since 2003 and now commute every day to work on the bike - to and from Mississauga. Like you pointed out, there are a lot of things to be aware of and for me, it just makes it more enjoyable. It's not about getting up to speed, because that kind of riding is reserved for different places than commuting in and out of the city.
Riding downtown is more about slower speed skills and adept handling of my bike when unexpected things pop up - be they changing road conditions or the other folks on the road. I dislike taking the car into the city because it's not nimble and takes up too much space.
I always ride with earbuds in and music playing, so I just ride to flow of the music. I rarely get stuck in traffic, because I always follow the path of least resistance whenever I'm going anywhere, and more importantly, I avoid the busy areas during peak traffic times.

To the OP: I ride because I want to. When it's my time, it's my time and I can only hope that I take measured risks. I don't get overwhelmed by the thought of getting hit by someone else - if it happens then so be it and I'll have to figure out how to deal with it then. I just can't spend my time constantly worrying about other people - that's for mothers.

There were 323 fatalities among vehicle operators in 2012. Of these, 54 were motorcycle operators, a ration of 1 in 6 fatalities. Do you think motorcycles account for 1 in 6 vehicles on the road?

If you're a pathetically unskilled or reckless driver, your survival odds are a lot better if you stay in a car and off a motorcycle.

^^ So much this.

Back
Top Bottom