New Bike Owner! CBR600RR - Pre-Winter Questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Bike Owner! CBR600RR - Pre-Winter Questions

ddzc

Hi everyone!

I just picked up a 12 cbr600rr and I'm looking to winter store it in the next week or two. I read the threads, but I have more specific questions with a rather unique situation.

This bike has already been sitting for quite some time and has extremely low km (under 1k). The oil was never changed and I feel that I should do it before storing with a full out flush in the spring time. What are your thoughts? Wait until next spring to do it all?

No maintenance was done on the bike bc it was barely ridden, so I'm looking for any suggestions possible in terms of replacements and flushes before the winter?

A few other specifics I have:

1. The headlight bulb is burnt out. Does anyone know what the oem part number is for it? I believe it's 34901-MAT-611. Any online recommendations for the best deals on oem parts?
2. Should I oil the chain up? If so, what oil or lube is recommended? The chain looks a bit dried out with minor rust marks surfacing
3. What battery maintainer is recommended?
4. I have a back wheel stand, I'll look around for a front wheel stand to have it off the ground on both wheels
5. What fuel stabilizer is best recommended for the bike?
6. Anything else I've missed?

Thanks local bikers! Hope to meet up in the spring / summer with y'all!

I would do the oil change now,

1. Cant remember.
2. Clean and lube. I like Chain Wax.
3. CTEK is what I use.
4. OK
5. I use Sea Foam.
6. Nope

Hi everyone!

I just picked up a 12 cbr600rr and I'm looking to winter store it in the next week or two. I read the threads, but I have more specific questions with a rather unique situation.

This bike has already been sitting for quite some time and has extremely low km (under 1k). The oil was never changed and I feel that I should do it before storing with a full out flush in the spring time. What are your thoughts? Wait until next spring to do it all?

No maintenance was done on the bike bc it was barely ridden, so I'm looking for any suggestions possible in terms of replacements and flushes before the winter?

A few other specifics I have:

1. The headlight bulb is burnt out. Does anyone know what the oem part number is for it? I believe it's 34901-MAT-611. Any online recommendations for the best deals on oem parts?
2. Should I oil the chain up? If so, what oil or lube is recommended? The chain looks a bit dried out with minor rust marks surfacing
3. What battery maintainer is recommended?
4. I have a back wheel stand, I'll look around for a front wheel stand to have it off the ground on both wheels
5. What fuel stabilizer is best recommended for the bike?
6. Anything else I've missed?

Thanks local bikers! Hope to meet up in the spring / summer with y'all!

First thing that came to mind for me - Some manufacturers, including Honda based on some Google-Fu use special break-in oil in the engines. With <1000K on the clock it's possible it still has this oil in the engine if it came so equipped. Further Google searches suggest that the break in procedure is 300 miles which has passed.

Since you mention no oil maintenance was done...I'd do the oil change now and get that (potential) break in oil out and fresh regular oil in.

Oil changes are cheap insurance.

With regards to the battery, make sure you buy a tender, not a trickle charger. A trickle charger outputs a constant charge rate regardless of battery state and will eventually overcharge and potentially boil the battery dry. A tender monitors the battery SOC and will adjust itself accordingly, meaning it can be left on indefinitely. CTec, as mentioned, is a well known and regarded brand of maintainer/tender, but there are others, including a maintenance mode on some larger battery chargers.

I'd do the full flush now, then it's done and ready to go come spring time.
If you don't do you're own work now is the best time to have a shop/mechanic do it. Slow time now for them, in the spring everyone that did nothing before the winter will be knocking at their door.

Thanks again guys!

I might head over to Princess Auto to get the ctek or CT, it seems like many use the Noco and the Tender JR without issues and it's half the price.

I'm going to head over to the dealership today to grab oil and a filter and flush it out this weekend. I can't take it in, I have no gear yet, no insurance on the bike, etc.

Everything else on my list is ready, front and rear stands, fuel stabilizer, chain oil, cover, etc, it's gonna be a busy weekend :)

Cheers
Dan

Just to add my 5 cents. ;-)

-- I'd do as others have suggested and change the oil now.
-- I use Yamalube's single-shot fuel-stabilizer sold at most dealerships. Cheap, I don't have left-overs to worry about.
-- I use Maxima chain-wax. I put a little bit on the chain for storage and after the first couple rides in 2016 I'll do a good clean of the chain. Then won't clean it again till 2017. I lube it regularly of course.
-- I just put the bike up on a rear stand in the back of my garage, under a cover, with the battery out, washed, waxed and all set for a gorgeous day in 2016. Easy.

If you're going to bother with a front stand, get a triple-tree stand.

Last edited:
Just to add my 5 cents. ;-)

-- I'd do as others have suggested and change the oil now.
-- I use Yamalube's single-shot fuel-stabilizer sold at most dealerships. Cheap, I don't have left-overs to worry about.
-- I use Maxima chain-wax. I put a little bit on the chain for storage and after the first couple rides in 2016 I'll do a good clean of the chain. Then won't clean it again till 2017. I lube it regularly of course.
-- I just put the bike up on a rear stand in the back of my garage, under a cover, with the battery out, washed, waxed and all set for a gorgeous day in 2016. Easy.

If you're going to bother with a front stand, get a triple-tree stand.

Thanks bud! I have 90% of my stuff lined up for next weekend. I got the Lucas Fuel Stabilizer, not good? I haven't used it yet.

As for the stands, I have a rear, I was going to buy a front from these guys - http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-other/m...sal/449132426?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

First, check to see if there is actually antifreeeze in the cooling system, then do all the other things.

ywvm

Back
Top Bottom