Bucket List - Florida Keys | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bucket List - Florida Keys

Old Suzy

Site Supporter
Knocked off another one from my bucket list. Always wanted to ride down to Key West on a motorcycle and finally got my chance last week. Wife and I were at our place in Naples Florida where they just recently opened a HD dealership. Prior to this dealership opening the closest one was up the road in Fort Myers. Nice and convenient, so rented a Heritage Soft Tail and booked two nights in Key Islamorada. Absolutely beautiful ride with the Ocean on one side and the Gulf on the other.
Could have done without the one day of tropical rain storms but a day of bad riding conditions still beats a day at the office.

Not going to wear off any chicken strips on this ride but the scenery makes up for the straightness of the roads.

Got to figure out how I'm going to the California Coast Highway

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0749.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 260
Nice. I rode my Heritage down there from NC last March. Picked the wife up at Miami airport, and we stayed at the Holiday Inn in Marathon.

I took Card Sound Road south from Florida City and stopped at Alabama Jack's for lunch just before the $.50 toll bridge over to Key Largo.

Took alligator alley down to the keys?

Two of my fav places Key West and Naples.

Picked the wife up at Miami airport, and we stayed at the Holiday Inn in Marathon.

Sounds like a commercial

Was just in Key West at the end of September, you can get excellent Hurricane Season pricing for lodging. It's a great drive in light traffic, but on a Friday or Sunday it can be agonizingly slow. A buddy of mine made a list of almost every roadside bar to stop in along the way, couldn't do all of them of course but the people you meet...

Naples HD has been around for a while, we rented a Heritage Softail a couple years ago from there and rode to Miami through the secondary roads. Been going to Naples for 20 years. MIL and SIL both have places in Naples, Foxfire and Ole.

Spent 5 days in Key West two years ago. Drove down unfortunately but what a beautiful drive from Miami. I can only imagine how sweet it would be on a Bike. Absolutely loved the laid back lifestyle in Old Town Key West. Mallory square was the bomb. This should be on every motorcycle riders bucket list.

I like the area but the salt spray killed the electronics in our van forever more....power doors never did work properly after that.

Got to figure out how I'm going to the California Coast Highway

Fly your bike from Toronto to Vancouver for $650
Drive the PCH

I've never rented a bike, but it would be a cool option when traveling. Does bike rental include a helmet?

Yup, but I brought my down from TO. My brother and I own a place down in Naples so I don't usually have much luggage as I keep just about everything I need in Florida in Florida.

I like the area but the salt spray killed the electronics in our van forever more....power doors never did work properly after that.

Drive the PCH

Agreed, most likely the way to go. Maybe next summer.

How expensive was the rental?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just google naples HD. Their website lists the prices (99.00/day to 180.00/day depending on model)

Naples HD has been around for a while, we rented a Heritage Softail a couple years ago from there and rode to Miami through the secondary roads. Been going to Naples for 20 years. MIL and SIL both have places in Naples, Foxfire and Ole.

I guess your right about this. I have been going to Naples for about 25 years now and never noticed a HD dealer in town but their website indicates that they have been around since 1994. I'm pretty sure the Pine Ridge location is pretty new (within last 2 years?).

Anybody that likes an interesting time should stop in the Keys, happy hours starting at 7am, clothing optional bars, the seediest strip club I 've ever seen (and I've seen seedy) , weird Cuban fusion food, awesome fishing trips , visit the stupidest war fort ever on an island.
The pace has it all. If you dont fit in anywhere, you'll fit right in here.

did you do a jet ski rental while there ? i did one for half a day and it was alot of fun to go around the WHOLE ISLAND... at one point I parked with the locals ~~~ funny they have a local meet on jet ski's in the middle of the day near a sand bar just off the break water where the air force jets land ~~~ spent at least 30 minutes UNDERNEATH where the jets were screaming over our heads ... THAT was priceless ...

did you do a jet ski rental while there ? i did one for half a day and it was alot of fun to go around the WHOLE ISLAND... at one point I parked with the locals ~~~ funny they have a local meet on jet ski's in the middle of the day near a sand bar just off the break water where the air force jets land ~~~ spent at least 30 minutes UNDERNEATH where the jets were screaming over our heads ... THAT was priceless ...

Nope, just putted around on the bike. The main day that I was down in the keys it poured rain like crazy. Had to buy a bandana and some frog togs at a sporting goods store. I can see how the jet ski rental would be pretty cool.

Drive the PCH

Air Canada rep I spoke with could not say if that deal will return next year or not, as of now it is not on. He told me it was for the summer season only.

I would be seriously ****** if it wasn't tho I have a cheaper trucking option for the west coast and two bikes so less of an issue.

Might restrict my riding to the east coast and south ( Ozarks ) anyways.

I also posted up that BC bike rental place.....not as cheap as flying your own machine but lets you try different bikes.

I found a shipping option that someone posted on ADVrider that ships your bike both ways for not much more money... although you have to stick to their time table.

In particular I like the ship to Vancouver, return from San Diego option, $1049.

Denver and back is only $899... and if you book before the end of November you get 20% off which makes this an awesome deal... $720 to get your bike too and from Denver and don't bother with any of the tedious mid-west.

http://www.mytripmybike.com/#!transport-montreal-quebec-toronto/c1ecp

Back
Top Bottom