[Help] Just bought a bike without turn signals | GTAMotorcycle.com

[Help] Just bought a bike without turn signals

You only need the safety to get plates. Can be done anytime. Try Rosey Toes, he used to do home inspections.

You will not get a legitimate safety for that bike without turn signals. All prescribed (by CMVSS 108 ) lighting that was original-equipment has to be there and working. Doesn't necessarily have to be OEM parts, but they have to be functional equivalents. Many mechanics might choose to overlook missing reflectors (also part of CMVSS 108 ), but they would be within their rights to say no because of missing reflectors, too.

It is of no relevance that the HTA doesn't include turn signals as required equipment and it is of no relevance that you plan to use hand signals (which almost no car drivers will recognize any more). The OEM lighting (or functional and compliant equivalents) has to be in place and working.

Do you still have the parts? Switch and wiring are still in place so that they can be re-installed front and rear?

The term "bobber" sets off alarm bells. A lot of those have many more problems. License plate mounting, license plate lighting, etc.

I am sure the "bobber" community has their "go-to" guy who perhaps you need to find, but he is putting his mechanic's license at risk by doing so. I wouldn't.

As Riceburner said, you don't need a safety to get a temporary travel permit.
Get one, then ride it to the shop.
If you feel comfortable doing this, you can install your own turn signals on the bike as Brian suggested.
Otherwise have the place you are getting safetied do it.
You can probably get a set of 4 LED signals for around $100.

Last edited:
You should get signals if you plan to ride it on public road, you will have issues with dealing with insurance if they find out or the police report says you didn't have signals in case you get into a collision.

Above all, think of your safety and others on the road if you plan to ride it on public roads, you will be a high risk (hand signals aren't visible during nights and not everyone on the roads understand them). Many drivers will report you for driving a track bike on the roads for the sake of everyone's safety.

Another question:
Ontario Highway Traffic Act states that the entire process of transferring the ownership has to be completed within 6 days of the sale date. Is this a valid statement only for transferring the ownership, or can I go a few months without getting the plates/insurance/safety certificate, as I most likely won't be riding the bike during the winter months?

YOu can transfer ownership without a safety, you'll just get an ownership that lists the bike in your name but as "UNFIT"..and until it's re-registered as "FIT" (AKA, safetied) you can't get plates.

But, the 6 day thing is a joke - they don't track it and it's not enforced...look at how many stories there are in Ontario about people who find out years later that car they sold privately is still listed in their name because someone never bothered to transfer things. Since the MTO isn't typically notified of private sales there's absolutely nothing to say the new buyer actually has to complete the process - something that is stupid IMHO, but that's the way it is.

1. Get insurance coverage.
2. Go to MTO office to register, get plate, get Temp stcker (Bike needs to have 'FIT' status from previous registration).
3. Put plate with T sticker on bike and ride it to Safety Cert place.
4. Return to MTO with Safety Cert and get regular sticker issued.

I've gone the 'skimpy' inspection route for a bike I've bought but I'm confident in my own inspection skills / mechnical knowledge for my own safety.

Tiny tail/brake lamps, no turn signals, is a risky ride - a lot of people end up in situations even with full oem lights...

Quite right, but since you can't change the registration without the safety, to the MOT it's still in the previous owners name.

You certainly can change the registration without a safety, you will just receive an ownership that declares the vehicle as "unfit". In unfit status you can't plate it however.

In step 2 I noted above, the vehicle was registered to me and I got a green registration slip, a plate and a T sticker allowing me to drive the bike to get certified. When I went back to show the safety cert and get the regular sticker they issued a new green registration slip and a regular sticker. I can't recall if that reg slip I had during the interim said 'FIT' or 'UNFIT'...

I guided my nephew through this process in September.
Motorcycle purchased, plate removed by owner, ownership transfer signed.
Drive him over to Service Ontario, get 10 day permit.
Back to owner's place. Ride motorcycle home.
Safety and registration the following day.

It is of no relevance that the HTA doesn't include turn signals as required equipment and it is of no relevance that you plan to use hand signals (which almost no car drivers will recognize any more).

Ain't that the truth... my TE450 comes OEM from factory without turn signals, so I was never required to install them, had no problems getting safety without them, and was 100 percent legal riding using only hand signals.

I did this for several years in Toronto because I didn't want my signals being ripped off in the forest while riding tight single track, and let me tell you NO ONE seems to understand hand signals. It's especially problematic turning left at 4 way stops when you need to pull the clutch in - you give the left turn hand signal as you approach the intersection, but then need to obviously grab your clutch when you come to a stop. Opposing traffic never seems to understand you wanted to turn left, and always get mad/confused when you turn left in front of them.

I now have signals installed on my te450 for city/road riding for safety reasons - worth the $$$ spent on busted signals imo (which actually doesn't happen as much as I feared with hand-guard and low profile signals).

Back
Top Bottom