Two Tier Healthcare coming to Ontario??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Two Tier Healthcare coming to Ontario???

j2

I injured my wrist and need an MRI.

Apparently there are now new rules for OHIP that if you make more than a certain amount then you have to pay for this. Its no longer free. Its something that both tiers of liberal government have agreed upon - at least that's what the Ministry of Health told me when I called to rip them another *******.

Personally I'm OK with this, as long as they let me take out my own medical insurance and go to a private doctor. It should work both ways.

Apparently there are now new rules for OHIP that if you make more than a certain amount then you have to pay for this. Its no longer free. Its something that both tiers of liberal government have agreed upon - at least that's what the Ministry of Health told me when I called to rip them another *******.

Personally I'm OK with this, as long as they let me take out my own medical insurance and go to a private doctor. It should work both ways.

Hmm...this doesn't sound right, or maybe I missed something. Pretty sure if you require the MRI it would be covered but you may have the option to pay to get one sooner as many are in private clinics.

damn refugues .............

Have you had another MRI recently?

A family member ran into a complication where they would not do another MRI so soon after a previous one, despite being for different areas, without getting sufficient proof that they were in fact for separate reasons.

I had an MRI about a year ago for free. Any idea when the rules changed?

I get MRIs annually and OHIP has no clue about how much I make. I'm not aware of any mechanism for them to find out, either. The only thing that comes close to that is the Ontario Trillium Drug Program

Maybe if you're poor they queue you up in line, and if you're rich you have the opportunity of a private clinic where you pay? That would still be two tier though.

I've had 6 MRI's the last 4 years and not once paid for anything nor do they know how much I make. Something doesn't seem right with your story. Where's the rest of it?

Why do you need an MRI for an injured wrist? A standard X-ray would suffice for any fractures, and a range of motion/mobility test for soft tissue/ligament damage. Unless you have a severe range of motion issues or your hand is only hanging on by skin this is clearly above and beyond what is needed and thus why you probably are paying for it. Hell a CT scan is basically the max you need anyway and is cheaper then an MRI.

I brought the issue up with my MPP. I'll see where it goes.

The back story is that in injured my wrist about 2 years ago. It's not as a result of a car accident so no claim. It was an ackward fall in a hockey game

I was going to an orthopedic guy at North York General called Peskun who seems to be a useless tool.

My own doctor got me an appointment at St. Mikes for a second opinion. They did X-rays but suspect the soft tissue is ruptured. I saw a doctor called Dr McKee who is supposed to be one of the best in Ontario.

It is my first MRI on this wrist.

Got the MRI done at Branson.

Will need some minor day surgery to fix the ligament and remove a cyst that has grown as a result of the bone being displaced and rubbing.

Got a bill from Branson got $400. Ministry or Heath said its a service fee

I thought Wynne or Trudeau had slipped something in without anyone noticing

As I said I don't mind paying for private service but I would be ****** if Wynne is trying to double dip

You sure this isn't just a simple billing issue? Something as simple as an expired version-code on your health card will end up with refused OHIP billing and they may have decided to just send you a bill instead of trying to rectify things.

I agree, something isn't right. You need to call the place that issued you the bill and get clarification on exactly what that $400 is for.

Maybe, just maybe because it an old injury and not critical it was billed as "cosmetic".

Still if Dr.Mike (who is the best imo) ordered it then I think it ought to be covered. Perhaps call his office and ask why it wasn't?

Its not really two tiered healthcare in Ontario, but there are literally dozens of services and procedures that fall outside of OHIP. Thats why additional healthcare insurance in Ontario is becoming very popular.

get cancer and have your teeth fall out from radiation? that's a dental problem not an OHIP, even though the OHIP treatment caused the problem. Lots of examples of stuff that's just not covered.

Do you still have the old Red/White health card? Maybe that's why? They've been trying to phase them out for years now. Denying people's OHIP coverage until they get the Green Card with the photo.

Do you still have the old Red/White health card? Maybe that's why? They've been trying to phase them out for years now. Denying people's OHIP coverage until they get the Green Card with the photo.

I've got the angry letter, but I checked last week and my red/white hasn't been cancelled yet. You need to bring your passport or birth certificate to get the green one even though they have your ontario drivers license linked to you ontario address and your existing red/white card. Headshake.

That's a good point. I don't. I had it replaced about 3 months ago but maybe that screwed it up and I don't have or have limited coverage

So I finally got to the bottom of this. There was a bunch of new user fees slipped in under the covers by Kathleen Wynne. For what they deem as a minor injury the hospital now has the ability to bill for diagnostic services. :(

That came directly from Eric Hoskins Office, after weeks of prodding by myself as I'm in Whitby and currently don't have an MPP, and my MP was unwilling to help. I think in the end they just wanted rid of me.

Surgery is scheduled for Feb 2nd at St. Mikes. I've heard that Dr. McKee and his team are the best in Ontario. I'll be glad when its over. My wrist is the size of a hard ball :(

Back
Top Bottom