My M2 is about to expire | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My M2 is about to expire

Called MTO and found out the following:
My M2 expired on Nov12, so no extension can be granted. however, they will let me take M1 and M2 back to back (no wait) come spring time. Should be fun! If only I could get some time away from my prostate exams..

Might be the case, but I am pretty sure in the eyes of insurance, you are going to be treated as a new rider with 0 years experience, since the license lapsed.

Called MTO and found out the following:
My M2 expired on Nov12, so no extension can be granted. however, they will let me take M1 and M2 back to back (no wait) come spring time. Should be fun! If only I could get some time away from my prostate exams..

Nice, so you get to pay for them both again...you just don't have to wait.

I fell better knowing that leaving my M2 exit test to the last minute does not make me the worse procrastinator.... Thank you

MTO does them till mid october, schools till first week of november if i remember well.

I booked my exam with MTO for oct 14th... there were no other dates available. No other locations available either, and that's me booking end of september...

Might be the case, but I am pretty sure in the eyes of insurance, you are going to be treated as a new rider with 0 years experience, since the license lapsed.

If his insurance continues through the winter but he does not ride doesn't it mean he did not lapse his insurance?

Keep your insurance policy through the winter, as there is very little/zero premium. Get your license next year before you ride, renew your insurance, and you'll be fine.

The lapse would have to be significant. A lapse over the winter season would not be significant in a case such as this. https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/autobulletins/archives/Pages/a-06_97.aspx

That's for insurance lapses, not licencincing lapses. Licence lapses most certainly CAN effect rates, as clearly mentioned on the page you linked.

The following are examples of criteria insurers can consider in determining automobile insurance rates:

• the length of time a person has held a driver's license;

Likely, but his current insurer may let it slip (particularly if they don't check and see it), but based on my experience, any new insurer certainly will, and his current insurer probably could if they wanted to.

I had my M2 and let it expire (after riding with it for 4 or so years) when I last rode and my current insurer more or less said that it didn't count towards experience (for the purpose of insurance) because of the lapse in licensing. I could prove the years of experience, I could prove my licence, I could prove everything..but because I was effectively starting all over again with my M1 this year I was up the creek so far as insurance was considered.

OP, if I were you, I'd be quiet to your insurance company, keep the policy in force, and hope they don't pay much attention to things..but if they run your record during the period you effectively have no M class on your licence, well...they might give you a call. I know my class A licence expired on me once (technical issue with my 5 year medical not getting into the MTO systems properly) and my company knew about it within 24 hours, so there appears to be some automated system for this sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom