Modulated lighting behind the windshield? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Modulated lighting behind the windshield?

h0ck3y

Saw a black, Kawasaki (?) touring bike heading down Bayview Ave. one morning and noticed that along with the stock, solid-lit headlight, they had a pulsating white light (modulator) behind their windshield.

I read the forum sticky thread on the laws regarding added lighting and did some other searches, but I'm not sure how this one can be interpreted given the headlamp is solid and an alternate light behind the windshield is flashing. Is this legal in Ontario?

Grey area. Personally I wouldn't do it. It's an invitation to get pulled over. How much time do you want to spend in court arguing that your device is not "alternating" even though it is "flashing"?

If you want to add extra visibility lighting to the front, use steadily-lit white or amber and make sure there are not more than 4 bright light sources on at a time (ordinary dim running lamps don't count). If you insist on using a headlamp modulator then buy one that has a declaration of conformity and install it as prescribed ...

Something like this would be better

IMG_2907.jpg

I like what you did there matthew ... where'd you get those?

Something like this would be better
IMG_2907.jpg
Are they aimed higher than regulations? I wouldn't expect the star pattern if they were tipped down and not up.

hta states something to the effect that only a white light can be affixed to the front of the vehicle.
As for "flashing", or "alternating" lights the hta only makes mention that colored (blue, red, green) lights are prohibited and for emergency vehicles only.

hta states something to the effect that only a white light can be affixed to the front of the vehicle.
As for "flashing", or "alternating" lights the hta only makes mention that colored (blue, red, green) lights are prohibited and for emergency vehicles only.

I think there's something about candlepower as well with regards to many lights, but I agree, so far as it's a white light anything extra forward facing shouldn't be an issue. The modulation, well, probably a grey area, but unless it's installed in such a fashion that it's blinding oncoming traffic I'd think any LEO would see it as a safety thing.

I kind of like this idea, actually. Even a small white LED array or SMC strip, forward facing, on a modulator/flasher would be a surefire way to get the attention of others.

Or divert them into target-fixating right into you. There's a fine line ...

Yep. Target fixation trying to figure out what those weird flashing lights are.

Back
Top Bottom