looking at a new naked bike for the spring | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

looking at a new naked bike for the spring

Suspension if your really aggressive is a simple fix. I had my fun with SS bikes when I was younger so Im a little more mellowed out now and the stock suspension works fine for my 190lb frame,not to say I still dont push her now and then. :wink:
I think people were to hasty to reflash the ecu. Custom flashes aside the stock 2014 flash is way more aggressive IMO. Gotta work on being smooth on it.

Suspension is easy to fix with lots of affordable options, but even being smooth helps with the suspension problem inherent with the stock setup.

Besides, an exciting bike isn't really exciting unless it try's to kill you now and then

I think people were to hasty to reflash the ecu. Custom flashes aside the stock 2014 flash is way more aggressive IMO. Gotta work on being smooth on it.

I was reluctant to get the ECU re-flash as I like the throttle aggressive, but once I did it i realized that it didn't take away at all from the fun but instead made the bike easier to ride when in traffic and below 3k RPM, everywhere else is the same.

I guess, but isn't that what B mode is for?
That is what I thought but the answer is no, what the ECU re-flash does is close the secondary injectors at low RPM, so having the primary and secondary injectors open at low RPM regardless of the mode makes the throttle choppy, by closing the secondary under 3k RPM, makes the throttle response more linear up to 3k and then once the secondary open up, the power is there.

I was worried about the bike not wheeling as easy, but it actually it is easier to control the wheelie since the throttle is smooth, not less but smooth.

Ahhhh, I usually ride above 3k to avoid that myself. Love this bike none the less.

I'll be lookin to upgrade my suspension this winter but never thought about reflashing.

If I do I may look into getting g a custom flash done and remove the limiter if I do actually go for it.

Don't forget about the retro FZ-09, the XSR900

Yam16_XSR900.JPG

After I sell my SV650, I reaaaaalllllyyyyyy wanna get one of those

Don't forget about the retro FZ-09, the XSR900

Yam16_XSR900.JPG

After I sell my SV650, I reaaaaalllllyyyyyy wanna get one of those
I'm thinking of selling my bikes to buy one. I love retro bikes and new bikes and this suits me amazingly! I swear I watched youtube videos of Kenny Roberts doing the Indy Mile on his TZ750 after they showed the XSR 900 .

I'd like the 70's race paint scheme myself

IMO you will be wasting your money in a custom reflash. You are better off either getting the free one at any dealership, or get a Bazzaz with traction control.
Ahhhh, I usually ride above 3k to avoid that myself. Love this bike none the less.

I'll be lookin to upgrade my suspension this winter but never thought about reflashing.

If I do I may look into getting g a custom flash done and remove the limiter if I do actually go for it.

Always thought my ER6N was a good choice for a first bike, and think it's a good choice for an upgrade as well.

Last edited:
I saw the Z800 in Italy last year. Looks very nice in the flesh, but it weighs as much as the Z1000. A buddy picked up a low mileage 2012 Z1000 for a very good price last year. Lots of fun when you spank it, but also very comfortable riding sanely. I wouldn't rule it out, and insurance is much better than the Ninja 1000, go figure.

Great thread for me to keep an eye on. I do enjoy riding my old UJM CB 750 but it would be nice to ride something with EFI, modern brakes, and modern suspension while keeping the naked styling I like and more upright riding position. So many great choices out there right now. I really need to ride some new bikes next season to get an idea what I might want.

Ktm 1290 SD would be a fun naked it has good suspension and adequate power, great brakes as well.

If you're thinking about the ER6-N, then the SV650 (Gladius?) should be worth a peek.

Nobody's mentioned the KTM 690 Duke...they look like fun,too

$2000 off Aprilia Dorsoduros right now
Aprilia%20Dorso%20CAN%203.jpg

Take the Brutale 800 for a ride, It is an amazing bike, very light, good power with amazing handling and all the "toys" (traction control, abs, quick shifter,etc).
My wife managed to put 10,000kms on hers this summer and the only issue was with a rear brake cylinder that developed a leak; replaced under warranty.
Chances are you will not see another one on the road.
17169337384_e928ec279d_o.jpg

I intend to sell my '14 FZ09 in the Spring, if you decide you want to look at a used one.

Sold my FZ09 wasn't for me..but anyway at the present time just to look at it i like the Brutale and the new Kawi Z800- i have seen it last week at Cycle City.

So the list to consider as it stands at the moment
-Yamaha FZ-07
-Kawasaki ER6-N
-Kawasaki Z800
-Suzuki GSX-S750
-Aprillia Shiver
-BMW F800R
-Ducati Monster 821
-MV Agusta Brutale 675 or 800
-Triumph Street Triple

Have I forgotten any? I think I'm gonna have a blast in the spring trying all these out.

You may want to consider initial purchase price, cost of maintenance and, especially, reliability. Not all of the bikes you listed are equal in this regard. Based on people I know Ducati is a bike they love to own and ride, when it's running properly. Relatively quirky and expensive to fix and maintain vs. others in the same category. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom