looking at a new naked bike for the spring | GTAMotorcycle.com

looking at a new naked bike for the spring

jewman22

Hey everyone, I'm kinda newish to the whole streetbike thing so, as the title says, I'm looking at upgrading from my 250 to a middleweight naked bike in the spring, I have had a chance to try the 821 Monster and Scrambler Icon(Thanks Apex Cycle), but the 821 is also about as large of a bike as i would consider going.
Anyone got any experience in this category.
thanks
jewman22

Hi jewman22. The nakeds are an interesting breed of bikes in that they aren't outlandish in style or execution, an excellent choice. The Monster 821 Scrambler is a neat bike. You might also want to check out Ducatis.

Wait until they bring the Yamaha MT-10 to North America.
30ad860a37dde0dc214d75d32eefbbf7.jpg

Make sure you call your insurance agent before falling too deeply for any naked. No sense is setting yourself up for an upgrade only to find you can't afford to insure it.

For a newesh rider I would say take a look at the FZ07

Last edited:
cb500 has been restyled and should be cheap to insure...

CB500F_Gallery6.jpg

Make sure you call your insurance agent before falling too deeply for any naked. No sense is setting yourself up for an upgrade only to find you can't afford to insure it.

I just emailed my insurance broker for some quotes on all the bikes I'm interested in. It will more then likely play the biggest part in determining which bike i get.

cb500 has been restyled and should be cheap to insure...

CB500F_Gallery6.jpg

I had briefly considered the CB500 since it does look really good, but i feel that i may outgrow the power of it far sooner then i'd like.

Keep'um comin guys, for some reason I feel like i'm forgetting a very good bike in this catagory and for the life of me i cant think of what it is.

I really like the ergos of the FZ-07, it's a little bigger than Honda's 500s too. The new Z800 looks good if you're into the insect-like look (I am). Suzuki's GSX-S750 looks decent too.

My fave is probably MV Agusta's Brutale 800, but that's a different price bracket.

Lotsa choices here.

2016-Kawasaki-Z800-ABS-1-590x393.jpg

THanks Matt Rain, I knew i was forgetting about a bike, the new Kawi 800 looks flippin awesome as does the FZ-07, lots of members recommending them can't be a coincidence. I plan on trying out all of the above as soon as i can in the spring. The Suzuki seems to be overly expensice when you consider its competition, it's about the same as a Triumph which i have to say i prefer the look of.

The MV Agusta 800 is about 12,500$ up at MotorSports World in Ottawa, so about the same as the Ducati Monster 821. about a grand less if i where to get the 675.

Thanks for all the posts everyone, I have lots to consider and a good few months to think about it and gain some more information and compare all the variables, looks like i'm gonna need to make an Excel chart.

The cost of the bike doesn't bother me as much as the insurance does. If it is a bike I absolutely love, then i have no problem spending up to 13,000$ OTD for it.
I think in the end it will be insurance that will be the deciding factor.

So the list to consider as it stands at the moment
-Yamaha FZ-07
-Kawasaki ER6-N
-Kawasaki Z800
-Suzuki GSX-S750
-Aprillia Shiver
-BMW F800R
-Ducati Monster 821
-MV Agusta Brutale 675 or 800
-Triumph Street Triple

Have I forgotten any? I think I'm gonna have a blast in the spring trying all these out.

FZ09 is a cheap bike but it might be too much engine for you with your experience

here is a video of a first ride, pretty much anyone that rides one giggles like a little girl

[video=youtube;whDxG4HVh_4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whDxG4HVh_4[/video]

5617ef958ebd114f5e9f0f62.jpg

THanks Matt Rain, I knew i was forgetting about a bike, the new Kawi 800 looks flippin awesome as does the FZ-07, lots of members recommending them can't be a coincidence. I plan on trying out all of the above as soon as i can in the spring. The Suzuki seems to be overly expensice when you consider its competition, it's about the same as a Triumph which i have to say i prefer the look of.

The MV Agusta 800 is about 12,500$ up at MotorSports World in Ottawa, so about the same as the Ducati Monster 821. about a grand less if i where to get the 675.

Thanks for all the posts everyone, I have lots to consider and a good few months to think about it and gain some more information and compare all the variables, looks like i'm gonna need to make an Excel chart.

The cost of the bike doesn't bother me as much as the insurance does. If it is a bike I absolutely love, then i have no problem spending up to 13,000$ OTD for it.
I think in the end it will be insurance that will be the deciding factor.

Last edited:
What's your price range? Might help people give you suggestions that fit your budget.

What's your price range? Might help people give you suggestions that fit your budget.
preferably less then 12,000$ for a new bike, haven't really considered my budget for a used bike, but it will be considerably less.

Newly updated 2016 Suzuki SV650 should be on your list as well.

In the 25+ bikes I've owned in my life my 15 FZ-09 has got to be one the the top 3 best bikes i've owned. Love this thing!

In the 25+ bikes I've owned in my life my 15 FZ-09 has got to be one the the top 3 best bikes i've owned. Love this thing!
It's one of those bikes that has soul. You can't swing a leg over it without a smile and quickened pulse. Sure the stock suspension wants to kill you when you start to push it in and out of the corners, and that throttle takes some time coax into smoothness, but when you get it, when you learn what she wants, it's an exciting ride.

I really love this bike....er......unicycle

It's one of those bikes that has soul. You can't swing a leg over it without a smile and quickened pulse. Sure the stock suspension wants to kill you when you start to push it in and out of the corners, and that throttle takes some time coax into smoothness, but when you get it, when you learn what she wants, it's an exciting ride.

I really love this bike....er......unicycle

I keep it in B mode most of the time in urban riding and its still fun to ride without the jerky throttle,out on the back roads its on A mode all the time,words cant decribe the bike in A mode :D
Suspension if your really aggressive is a simple fix. I had my fun with SS bikes when I was younger so Im a little more mellowed out now and the stock suspension works fine for my 190lb frame,not to say I still dont push her now and then. :wink:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom