who will take a chance ??? CSC RX3 Cyclon | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

who will take a chance ??? CSC RX3 Cyclon

Re: who will take a chance ??? CSC RX3 Cyclon & TT250

Are you really getting something similar? A 1200GS is very different then a CB500x, more so then just the price. Very different bikes in my opinion in terms of what they offer. You may say the Honda is better value, but that is up to the individual, for me it is not better value. Not getting the electronic suspension, the ride modes, the LED lighting, standard ABS, traction control, integrated Nav, etc, etc. I happily paid $30K for my GSA... well would have preferred less of course, but am not complaining, best bike I have ever ridden. It does not diminish the CB500x, but just shows they are very different bikes and really not comparable in terms of price, you are getting a whole hell of a lot more bike in the BMW then you are with the Honda in terms of features.

I agree with you in almost every way. That is why I emphasized value. I chose the CB500X because for me it was a better value. I wasn't trying to say they were anyone near the same class.

The CSC TT250 or Cyclone seems to be a great value buy if I live in the USA.

Personally I do really like the idea of a 250-450cc adv bike. I just wish one would come from the big four. You've got the csc and the ccm 450. One is Chinese, the other is unobtanium.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk
You need to buy 2 bikes like everyone else that tries for 1 then ends up with 2, from experience.

Personally I do really like the idea of a 250-450cc adv bike. I just wish one would come from the big four. You've got the csc and the ccm 450. One is Chinese, the other is unobtanium.

Dude just wait for the Mythical WR450R!

skeleton-at-a-keyboard-with-a-real-mouse-video-idrbrp01522

Friend just bought a 2014 DR650, fairly scratched up but mechanically very good, 5k.
The DR450 is liquid cooled and FI , 650 is aircooled and carb'd, I understand from the DR forums if you dump the 450 in a deep puddle the electrics under the seat get wet and your walking home, and the 450 weighs nearly what the 650 does.
I'm going to have to ride this 650, at 5k ish for a fairly current machine I'm intrigued.

Friend just bought a 2014 DR650, fairly scratched up but mechanically very good, 5k.
The DR450 is liquid cooled and FI , 650 is aircooled and carb'd, I understand from the DR forums if you dump the 450 in a deep puddle the electrics under the seat get wet and your walking home, and the 450 weighs nearly what the 650 does.
I'm going to have to ride this 650, at 5k ish for a fairly current machine I'm intrigued.

Don't expect too much excite ment if stock fueling. Needs carb kit to wake up. It's a mule tho, just turned 75,000kms this weekend on mine. Better than twice around the Equator on 2 valve adjustments and regular oil changes. Not braggin just sayin.

The dr650 is air/oil cooled and about 75lbs heavier. The drz400s is 400cc liquid cooled and carbed not Fi. I had my drz in lots and lots of water and never an electrical issue. If you dump any bike in a deep puddle you're either dewatering or walking home, the drz is not alone there.

I'm 'test driving' the DR650 tomorrow aft in Kitchener. Not going to be able to 'give er' in an industrial park but I'm looking forward to the chance. And anything is better than going to the office....

If it doesn't loop out in first gear it hasn't been properly fettled, just an fyi.

Last edited:

The 400 is 50lbs lighter than the 650, which is a pretty considerable amount. For offroading you'd want the 400 every day of the week.

The dr650 is air/oil cooled and about 75lbs heavier. The drz400s is 400cc liquid cooled and carbed not Fi. I had my drz in lots and lots of water and never an electrical issue. If you dump any bike in a deep puddle you're either dewatering or walking home, the drz is not alone there.

I need a DRZ with EFI to come out asap. With a 6 speed. I'd have it pre-ordered. Then my life would be complete. :D

Update -

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-07-18%2Bat%2BJul%252C%2B18%2B%2B%2B%2B2016%2B%2B%2B%2B2.01.36%2BPM.jpg

I'm in Australia til end of October t was a chore to get them insured due to glacial response from the insurance company but one is finally plated. Staff has not had time to ride his much. ( he just got it plated and I buried him in a project ) :D

There is a big thread here

http://www.chinariders.raptorrefuge.com/showthread.php?p=197337

and here

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/csc-tt250-1895.1108960/page-29

Take away

After the tear down and reassemble for the masses over on CR, I have nothing but great things to say about Mrs. 2LZ TT250. The neutrals do come easier with miles and oil changes. I wish my RX3 had this nice, friendly mid-range prominent powerband as the TT250. Just upgraded to Matt's speedo cluster. Super nice unit. Very classy. Easy to install.

With the re-gear for our area, the performance upgrades I did, and getting the suspension adjusted for Mrs. 2LZ, the bike is an absolute hoot to ride. Like many here have said, you have to keep in mind what it is and more importantly, compared to the Japanese counterparts, what you receive vs. the price difference.

The bike is amazingly solid under you. I was duly impressed with how it was built and the beefiness of the fame, compared to Hondoids I've had in the past.
Even the stock tires are great on paved twisties and for the very dry gravel roads here. Usually the first thing I change are tires!

CSC (Ryan) has been nothing less than spectacular. I hope this trend continues through all the growing pains as they get larger and there's little doubt that they will.

I have the seat off currently for the "low seat kit" so Mrs. 2LZ can reach the ground more easily. I gave up after about an hour of stretching, tugging and staplng and took it to our local upholsterer. For 35.00 to get it steamed, stretched and stapled, it was worth the frustration to me. I can wrench....but I found out that I'm no upholsterer. I've done bike seats on my older bikes but they were shaped like bananas without all the curves and contours.

So far, zero regrets on buying the TT250 and I'm more than happy to have it as a part of my rolling stock. Every one of my buddies who sees or rides it, wants one.
It's also comforting to know that the venerable CG motor will be running years from now.

I think the DR650 is a great bike... a real tank, and very simple -- screw adjustable valves that could be done trail side (but by Inreb's experience doesn't need it that often). Lasts forever, simple to maintain, decent resale value, lots of farkle available, and enough power to keep up at highway speeds for a long run.

I also love my DRZ... shim adjusted valves, but long intervals (24000km), is decent in the dirt and not bad on the road, although I could stand another gear on the highway.

Have a read through this thread: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/8-drzs-do-the-tat-backwards.1163375/

Eight guys (okay.... 7 guys, one chick) took DRZs on the Trans-America Trail, and here is the comment from the organiser at the end of it:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/8-drzs-do-the-tat-backwards.1163375/page-32#post-30286857

Gotta Thank the Suzuki DRZ 400 too. 7 bikes, not a single failure. for Heels and I, the only thing i adjusted was her chain guide, thats because i lowered it. other than that, i didn't retighten or adjust anything. I put a rock through her headlight somewhere in oregon, but it still worked, so we put clear tape on it, it still works. The Chains I feel are shot, 9000 mile original. sprockets showing wear now
they still have original brakes and still look good. we used two rear tires, and are running the original front tire. we used Kenda Golden Boy 244's, which is a dual purpose tire, two oil changes other than that, bikes are ready to go again. wow..

I haven't read too many epic ride reports with as few problems reported as this group. But then again, the 400 is the successor to the DR350... which if you've seen Mondo Enduro was the bike of choice for 7 Brits to take on the world on the longest route -- London, through Central Asia, Kazakhstan and Siberia; then from Alaska to Chile and finally from Cape Town through Africa and the Middle East back to London -- 40000 miles on a thumper with not much more than tire changes and a wheel bearing or two... no bent rims, etc,....

So for nearly the same money, you can get a piece of junk, or a used bike that can take on the world. The DR650 is not even much more brand new, which is what I would buy if I was buying a bike tomorrow.

DR650 and DRZ400 are fine bikes, until you need more power and less weight. And you will, if you need to ride real off-road terrain. First couple of times picking the bikes up from sand ... you will feel it.

If you are looking for blue-plated dual sports, they surely will do the job, but they will be far from the best tool for long adventure ride or challenging off-road rally.

DR650 and DRZ400 are fine bikes, until you need more power and less weight. And you will, if you need to ride real off-road terrain. First couple of times picking the bikes up from sand ... you will feel it.

If you are looking for blue-plated dual sports, they surely will do the job, but they will be far from the best tool for long adventure ride or challenging off-road rally.

I ride both my DRZ and Vstrom through fairly challenging offroad. Both have been through deep sand, mud, water crossings, and single track too, but obviously much slower than someone on a KTM 250.... so I am not sure if know what you mean by 'real off-road'.

There is no 'best tool' for adventure riding because any adventure throws a wide range of terrain. When the guys in Mondo Enduro slabbed through North America, I am sure they all wished they were on GS1200s... when they were trying to span Siberia they likely wished they had ATVs.

The biggest problem with the bikes people consider 'good' dual sports, like the aforementioned KTM 500 EXC is the short service interval. Who is going to take a bike on a long distance 'adventure' if they have to do valve adjustments trail side?

The reason why many riders talk about the mythical WR450 is because they are thinking about a WR250 with more power. The WR250 is good enough for most offroad applications (to get through, not necessarily the fastest to get through), but it also has EFI and a 42000km valve check interval. What it lacks is significant power to do 100s or 1000s of km of slab... which is why people wish for a 450cc version.

Here is a guy who 'adventurized' a WR250 and put 50000 miles on it running all around North America.... that is an adventure bike: http://www.bigdogadventures.com/WR250R.htm

One of my favourite motorcycle books is about a guy that took a Goldwing around the world (twice) with hardly any cash. Reading about him riding it through sand in the desert and swamps in the jungle was kind of mind boggling. Sometimes I think we get a little spoiled.

"The biggest problem with the bikes people consider 'good' dual sports, like the aforementioned KTM 500 EXC is the short service interval. Who is going to take a bike on a long distance 'adventure' if they have to do valve adjustments trail side?"

This guy did.
https://www.facebook.com/adventuresofanendurobike/

I do agree with you though. There's nothing wrong with a DRZ or a WR. Both can traverse "serious" off road terrain, and though they might not be as well suited as a modern, purpose built off road machine as long as the suspension is set up properly (springs & re-valve), gearing is lowered, and a set of knobbies installed an experienced rider is still going to go fast in the woods.

I've got several trophies from OffRoad Ontario that says a drz400s is pretty good off road. I earned those racing against ktm, crfx etc.

This Cyclone/TT250 is more comparable to bigger bikes so we're getting a little off topic.

Has anyone seen one on the road in Ontario other than the ones in this thread?

So I rode buddies DR650 this aft. The seating was 'meh' but it did have reasonable snap. He's talking a -1 front or +2 rear sprocket change for some easier pull, I can see that. I wasnt over 80k top speed since it was a field, but I understand the 'want a 6th gear' if you high wayed much. There are some real deals on these things right now, his at 5k for a 3,200km bike is pretty decent.

I get the "want more power" for serious off road, and the arguement people pay $3800 US to ride an Enfield 1 wk that will break down in the himalayas. I rode a Ural through the Utah traverse, it was hard to start before we left and never got better, and a '70's Maico (google it) through the Arizona traverse last yr. There is only one perfect bike, its the one you leave home on.

Back
Top Bottom