Building a website...recommendations for builder site / host? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Building a website...recommendations for builder site / host?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Thinking of building a few small websites and not sure where to start. Nothing fancy or major, but just want to learn the basics and put something together more for personal goal instead of actual business or anything like that. I've read Wordpress is great, but outside of that haven't really seen much in terms of options although I'm sure there are plenty out there.

Also, any recommendations on where to buy a domain so that I can keep it if I elect to switch to a different host / website builder etc?

Thanks!

For your need, Godaddy is great. You can register your domain with them and then for $50/year you can host your website and use their template to create your website. It's all pretty straight forward stuff and their help line is the best. You talk to an American dude in the good ol USA. Give it a try.

http://www.squarespace.com/ is straight forward and simple to use. Wordpress is the popular way to create simple sites. Lots of 'what you see is what you get' interfaces you can use.
If you have a place to host it and just want domain registration, I've had good experience with EasyDNS.
Otherwise, GoDaddy would be your one-stop registration and hosting place to visit.

If you're doing this to learn, I would recommend trying to understand the under-the-hood stuff with Wordpress as best you can. Wordpress is great and all but it seems to have a large attack surface and pretty serious vulnerabilities come up often - you need to know what you're doing if it involves anything commercial

Back
Top Bottom