Motorcycle Trials | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Trials

Modern means not twin shock.
Anything Montesa since 2005 is a Honda powered 4RT and virtually all of the parts are interchangeable with the one they still make today. (Pistons and rings etc. excluded seeing as they now offer it in 260cc and 300cc but you could swap the entire motor and it would fit right in there.)

And water cooled and I am sure other things, no?

What's the opinion on 2T vs 4T in trials?

And water cooled and I am sure other things, no?
What's the opinion on 2T vs 4T in trials?

In my experience 4T is a lot easier to ride overall, (better for an old guy) they sound way better and don't make the guy sitting behind you intoxicated from the synthetic oil fumes when you are sitting in queue for a section. They don't load up the silencer with oil residue that eventually catches fire and causes a smoke screen. The extra weight (~7 to 12 pounds) is noticeable but has never been enough to affect my riding ability at the intermediate level. 4T power delivery is very broad by comparison and most noticeable advantage is on slime mud sections and long slippery hillclimbs. You Have to be smooth on the throttle compared to a 2T, they don't like to be blipped a lot like people habitually do on a 2T! Blipping the engine plays havoc with the fuel injection, valve train and your traction. While they do get considerably better fuel range, fuel injection likes to have lots of fuel in the tank to keep the fuel pump cool, so you end up re-fueling just as frequently. Beta 4T uses a carb but you can tell it has a carb when you ride it, otherwise imho it is the second best 4T on the market, the rest of them I would not want, so the 4T market is basically a Montesa/Honda. On a 4T to get the explosive takeoff acceleration like a 2T has you have to rev the snot out of them and drop the clutch.

2T's are like a rocket ship on takeoff, their power delivery is earlier and they are easier to hop as a result of that. In the hands of a top Expert rider the 2T is potentially a more competitive ride, assuming it is Not a no-stop event. The lighter weight makes the bike a little easier to get airborne or hop the front or rear around. The TRS 300 is an amazing easy bike to hop around on, it's light, it's powerful, the suspension and weight distribution is awesome and it has so much freakin compression combined with a short kick start throw that I can't start it, otherwise I would probably want one. Beta and Sherco are the nicest 2T's imho GasGas makes or did make a respectable 2T but you have to keep the bottom end seals perfect or they start working like crap. All of 2T's need the reed valves to seal perfect or they start working like crap. Ossa, do they still make Ossa? they perform great when they are working great, but the brand went through a Lot of changes, they introduced some um :/ unique features that may or may not work so good, for a while there people were messing with them a lot immediately before a trial. ... usually to get them started. If you have one and it starts good and runs good, I recommend you don't mess with it, just ride it. Weight distribution is amazing low to the ground.

Water cooled is nice because they don't sound as ratty and because they are less affected by over-heating but it's not a deal breaker, pretty sure all 4T trials bikes are water cooled anyway. The only air cooled 2T trials bike I owned was a Yamaha and the water-cooling wasn't a shortcoming the problems were drum rear brake, slanted bash plate and the high mounted shock absorber makes it more prone to flip out when you get it vertical. ... I find linkage type monoshock rides to be superior.

The thing I don't miss the least about vintage/twin shock bikes is not having the insides of my legs bruised and smashed by the shock absorbers! and most of them carry about 15 pounds worth of fuel which is excessive for a trials bike. Front forks on older trials bikes are terrible! The best upgrade you can do to a vintage Trials bike is install modern 2 ply radial gummy tires on it and ride it as your second bike. Riding a modern bike as your first bike will make you do things on a vintage trials bike that you would have never though to even try.

gee, I wrote a lot, I hope that is not too much information!

Well, put down some money today for a trials bike... 2010 Sherko 290. Picking it up in a couple of weeks. Rode it a bit today and all that bike wants to do is wheelie (never been on one before). 2018 is starting to shape up as "awesome" riding wise.

The clutch!!!!! what the hell, why don't all dirt bikes have that clutch? I could pull it with a nail never mind a finger.

Well, put down some money today for a trials bike... 2010 Sherko 290. Picking it up in a couple of weeks. Rode it a bit today and all that bike wants to do is wheelie (never been on one before). 2018 is starting to shape up as "awesome" riding wise.

The clutch!!!!! what the hell, why don't all dirt bikes have that clutch? I could pull it with a nail never mind a finger.

Congrats! The stable is getting fuller! :)

ATA holds great competitions events.But you need a CMA licence ($80) to enter and the events are usually $25.

The other option is the SOCT events.You need a CVMG membership ($50) and the events are usually $5.

Both are great,supported by great experienced folks.

Awesome! :D -> http://www.ataont.ca/ata-tweed-2-day-trial-april-14th-15th-2018/ <- perfect first ever ride venue if you can attend!

ATA holds great competitions events.But you need a CMA licence ($80) to enter and the events are usually $25.

The other option is the SOCT events.You need a CVMG membership ($50) and the events are usually $5.

Both are great,supported by great experienced folks.

Thanks Guys
Step A - pick up the bike
Step B - Learn to ride the thing
Step C - Do some events

:)

Thanks Guys
Step C - Do some events

Just a note, I've been to both Ata and Sovt events as a spectator. The Sovt is very informal, easily a great place to just ride and learn. Literally everyone is open to help and give advice. Plus you don't have to find or create your own course or obstacles. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Congrats ... If you don't mind, what did it set you back? ... 4-6K ... am I close?

4500 which is supposed to be a decent price for it? People that know told me, I don't know anything about those bikes. It is in great shape.
Congrats ... If you don't mind, what did it set you back? ... 4-6K ... am I close?

Thanks Guys
Step C - Do some events

B&C are the same thing. Riding the events is where you are going to learn to ride it the most, riding in an amateur trials event is absolutely nothing like heading out on a track with a bunch of guys who want to blow past you, we ride as partners or small groups where everyone assists, you will learn much faster once you see somebody else succeed (or fail) when they try. Joining early in the year assures you of getting the best value for your membership money because there are lots of opportunities that you can use it. Riding in the spring events :/ nobody will be riding at the top of their game, I'll probably start out the season riding the old guy class and you are welcome to ride with me, is the same line as the junior class (you won't have to ride over anything taller then your front axle)

:blob4: try it you'll like it!

Appreciate the offer, very nice of you and I will for sure consider it.
B&C are the same thing. Riding the events is where you are going to learn to ride it the most, riding in an amateur trials event is absolutely nothing like heading out on a track with a bunch of guys who want to blow past you, we ride as partners or small groups where everyone assists, you will learn much faster once you see somebody else succeed (or fail) when they try. Joining early in the year assures you of getting the best value for your membership money because there are lots of opportunities that you can use it. Riding in the spring events :/ nobody will be riding at the top of their game, I'll probably start out the season riding the old guy class and you are welcome to ride with me, is the same line as the junior class (you won't have to ride over anything taller then your front axle)

:blob4: try it you'll like it!

4500 which is supposed to be a decent price for it? People that know told me, I don't know anything about those bikes. It is in great shape.

Me neither. But looking at the year, brand and price you paid. I'd say you did well (based on what I have seen on Kijiji etc.). The market is very thin up here ... I am sure in UK it's a different ball game and they would laugh all day long at us considering what we pay for used bikes here.

She is home now.

30629988_10155097953916191_5897142457077858304_o.jpg

Me neither. But looking at the year, brand and price you paid. I'd say you did well (based on what I have seen on Kijiji etc.). The market is very thin up here ... I am sure in UK it's a different ball game and they would laugh all day long at us considering what we pay for used bikes here.

omg it's beautiful!

Starting to sound like I might be the only rider going to Tweed tomorrow, is still nice here at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom