Options for dealing with high mileage bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Options for dealing with high mileage bike?

TiburonJA

Hey guys, been riding for 3 seasons now and I have managed to rack up a good amount of KM on my bike (It's a 2009 Ninja 250). Picked up my bike in 2012 with about 7K on it and now I have it up to 42K. Since it's a 250 I am wondering if selling it is even an option? I see other 250's on the market (reasonably priced) going for like $2200.00 with like 10K on them... I don't even think I could get $1000.00 for mine considering its age and although I have done the required services and it runs smoothly, I can't claim to have "meticulously cared for my bike" as so many other riders put it.

At this point I'm just sort of lost on what to do and was hoping I could get guidance from others who have gotten rid of their bikes before? I am hoping to pick up a 600cc bike in the spring and I wont have room in my garage for 2 bikes. I will probably end up giving it away to my GF who wants to learn how to ride but at the end of the day she'll have to get rid of it as well at some point. I assume I could make a few bucks with something like the aftermarket exhaust and maybe a few parts but aside from that does it simply go into a junk yard or a bike shop that would most likely take it?

Any advice is appreciated! Cheers!

42k is not high mileage. List it for $2k firm and wait for the right buyer.

Bluebooktrader.com says:

2009 KAWASAKI Ninja EX250R

Retail Low: $1,924.00 Retail High: $2,600.00

Don't make any sudden moves, motorcycledom is full of old men staring off into the middle distance muttering "I never should have sold that one". Oh wait, 250 Ninja? Scrap it.

42k IS high for a bike, yet its still definitely worth $1-2g. Somebody will defn buy it in the spring, you just wait!

Another option is too keep it for track only...then you can take some risks with it and if you crash, oh well!

Don't even think about selling it at this time of year. The January motorcycle show has a bikes-for-sale section; that may be one option (which will give you lots of exposure). If that doesn't work, wait until spring.

Price it fairly; low-priced beginner bikes should sell easily - just not right now.

An often asked question, "What is my bike worth"?
Generally speaking, it's worth what you can get for it.
You make get lucky and find a buyer who has been searching Craiglist and Kijiji seeking the perfect 250 Ninja.
Or you may only draw those looking for parts bikes.
Do your winter maintenance, clean it up really nice, put a coat of wax on it and hope for the best in the spring.
I would be hesitant to sell it at this time of year.

42k IS high for a bike, yet its still definitely worth $1-2g. Somebody will defn buy it in the spring, you just wait!

Another option is too keep it for track only...then you can take some risks with it and if you crash, oh well!

why do you think that 42k should be considered "high mileage" for a 250 streetbike? i can see calling a full race engine "high mileage", but most non-weekend warrior riders will put on 42k in a few years

why do you think that 42k should be considered "high mileage" for a 250 streetbike? i can see calling a full race engine "high mileage", but most non-weekend warrior riders will put on 42k in a few years

That was my thought. There's guys with VTX's like mine on another forum I frequent with just south of 200,000 kilometers on their bikes. *Thats* high mileage.

42K on a car wouldn't be considered hike mileage, why a bike?

42K on a car wouldn't be considered hike mileage, why a bike?

The pistons are tiny and move around a lot. I think it's measured in metres per second but you might want to confirm that with F1 insiders.

Thanks guys!

I only call it high mileage in comparison to all the other bikes I see being sold on Kijiji! I have no doubt I could take this little guy to 80K without a problem the way it runs now. Only problem is I've got an itch for a 600 and I don't have enough room to keep both :(

I'll def clean it up nicely and price it fair for the spring!

Appreciate the advice! Cheers!

The pistons are tiny and move around a lot. I think it's measured in metres per second but you might want to confirm that with F1 insiders.

Fair enough, but looking around in a few Ninja250 riders forums it seems about 60,000 miles (so over 100,000K) is a reasonably expected lifespan on those engines. I guess the little high-revvers don't have the longevity of the bigger ones so I guess that the argument for this being a high-ish milage engine isn't totally off base, but if you want to be a glass-half-full type of person is still (potentially) has more than half it's life ahead of it yet.

Mileage alone will not make any bike unsellable, and 42K is certainly not a dealbreaker. One thing you have going for you is that YOU put all that mileage on it - many beginner bikes are like 12 owner vehicles, with long-term maintenance items handed off to the next guy. I would consider that a selling point worthy of mentioning in the ad

High mileage is just another way to say lots of miles. Like I have a choice to buy one with 10k or 20k or 25k and oh there's one with 42k but that's a lot of miles. Like that. Anyway, I'm reserving final opinion until LoneRonin chimes in.

When we speak of high mileage, I always mention the mileage numbers on the same bikes in 12 month riding season locations. Most bikes easily handle 100,000 or more without much issue. Also some people myself included are weary of low mileage bikes, lots of sitting is not always a positive attribute. Anything in decent certifiable condition is work more than 1000 in my opinion.

Pride of ownership is more important than the odometer display.

Have proper maintenance records, keep the bike in good working order.

I've seen some entry level machines beat up with less than 10k on them and sound like the engine is about to give up.

Just waiting for a young buck or doe with their M1 and their parents wallet in the spring. Stickers are also helpful to command top asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything can be sold, depends on what price you want

OP, everyone is steering you in the wrong direction. 42k is high the bike is worth $200 MAX. I'm a nice guy. I'll take it off your hands for that price. I'll even pic it up now ao you don't have to store it. Problem solved. ?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

The problem is that most bikes out there belong to weekend warriors that only average 3k a year.

I sold a 2010 GSXR 750 for 5200 with 68k on it and that was considered very high mileage. I was however well priced compared to other bikes but it's all about finding the right buyer.

OP wait until late February and then post an add and see, if too early then delete the add and post again two weeks later at the beginning of March so it goes up to the top - Rinse and repeat and be patient, I think you can probably get about 1800 for it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom