Quality wheel bearing supplier. Any recommendations? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quality wheel bearing supplier. Any recommendations?

iafs

My super reliable SV650 got to 63,000 km since new. Think it's time to change the original wheel bearings.
Anyone can recommend a good bearing supplier in GTA? Preferably Koyo, SKF bearing brands.

thank you,
-Alex

They are going to be standard 6000 series bearings, anything bearing supplier will have them stock...CBL, BDI, OBIS, ONTARIO BEARINGS, AIT, Wajax etc. You should take your seals in as well.

If got 63k out of the OEM bearings, wouldn't you get the same from the dealer?

If got 63k out of the OEM bearings, wouldn't you get the same from the dealer?

At 63k I'm less inclined to buy parts from a dealer unless I absolutely have to. Suzuki is likely not in a business of manufacturing bearings themselves.
It was not difficult to cross reference OEM bearings with SKF for instance:

Front bearing OEM 08133-62037 - SKF 6203 2RS
Rear bearing OEM 09262-20042 - SKF 6204 2RS
Bearing drum OEM 09262-25073 - SKF 6305 2RS

I did not call a dealer but a quick online check - dealer price is roughly 3x a reputable manufacturer equivalent.

...besides, I'm going to keep my SV past 126k ... :)

Thanks for your reply,
-Alex

What is actually wrong with your bearings ? How have you deemed its time to change them ?

What is actually wrong with your bearings ? How have you deemed its time to change them ?

A friend of mine just bought a much newer SV and what I notice is that my bike has significantly higher rolling resistance. My chain is new, clean and well adjusted, brakes not dragging, tires inflated to the specs.
When I installed new tires this summer I checked all bearings and all looked okay. There was no play I could feel with my finger. Repacked drum bearing, the other four are sealed...
Also noticed some notchiness lately at small speed with a passenger at the back. Almost a sensation of a kinked chain but the chain and sprockets are new... Not certain its from bearings but decided it's time to change based on mileage alone anyway.

A friend of mine just bought a much newer SV and what I notice is that my bike has significantly higher rolling resistance. My chain is new, clean and well adjusted, brakes not dragging, tires inflated to the specs.
When I installed new tires this summer I checked all bearings and all looked okay. There was no play I could feel with my finger. Repacked drum bearing, the other four are sealed...
Also noticed some notchiness lately at small speed with a passenger at the back. Almost a sensation of a kinked chain but the chain and sprockets are new... Not certain its from bearings but decided it's time to change based on mileage alone anyway.

bearings need to have radial play or they would seize, from what you are describing it might not be the bearings, but might be seals or over torque axle etc. Brakes will always drag as there is no real provision to pull the pads back.

from what you are describing - its not bearings. Have you put all the spacers back in their correct spots?

I've seen bikes with 20k and destroyed bearings due to poor tire install (2nd set of tires put on by me), but I also take care of high mileage bikes 60-80K that have mint bearings. My street bikes all over over 60k on them, all bearings mint.

Last edited:
bearings need to have radial play or they would seize, from what you are describing it might not be the bearings, but might be seals or over torque axle etc. Brakes will always drag as there is no real provision to pull the pads back.

from what you are describing - its not bearings. Have you put all the spacers back in their correct spots?

I've seen bikes with 20k and destroyed bearings due to poor tire install (2nd set of tires put on by me), but I also take care of high mileage bikes 60-80K that have mint bearings. My street bikes all over over 60k on them, all bearings mint.

The spacers are installed correctly, axles torqued to spec, seal leaps and axles lightly lubed. The bike is on the forth set of tires, the last two I installed myself, balanced etc.
Also noticed some noticeable wear marks on the rear axles where seals touch. Never use pressure washer when washing my bike...

Was doing some research on various SV650/SV1000 forums - some people change bearings as a preventative measure, others go until a bike develops symptoms of a worn bearing. Think I'm going to change all bearings and seals, after all doing it during a winter season is better then having to take downtime during a riding season...

Thank you,
-Alex

Back
Top Bottom