How to prevent motorcycle exhaust burn on leg? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to prevent motorcycle exhaust burn on leg?

stickman88

Sometimes when I ride my leg accidentally scrapes the exhaust pipe and my leg gets burned. How can i prevent this? Will exhaust shields work or only exhaust wraps? Where can i buy them. I prefer not to use wraps as i hate the look of it.

Edit: This happens when i'm at a red light and then i start to put my feet on the pegs.

Last edited:
Never in my 10 years of riding this happened to me, so can't really relate. What bike are you riding? Wearing jeans?

Presuming you're wearing proper riding gear? It's easy for me to put my leg on my pipes but I get some warning heat through my gear before it could ever proceed to a burn.

Never in my 10 years of riding this happened to me, so can't really relate. What bike are you riding? Wearing jeans?

just a sportbike. yeah i'm wearing jeans but sometimes my jeans ride up. Sorry, to make it more clear this only happens when i go from a red light and start to put my feet on the pegs. My leg accidentally touches the exhaust while doing this.

Make, model, year, please ... and what type of exhaust system does it have - stock or otherwise?

On my old Ninja 500r with twin exhaust pipes I got burnt on the legs twice, and BOTH times I was wearing SHORTS - and so rightfully deserved the burn.

and BOTH times I was wearing SHORTS - and so rightfully deserved the burn.

In my youth I rode in shorts, strictly off road just puttering around the property. We were talking 6 or 8 years old, I didn't know better.

I'm pretty sure if I look close enough, somewhere on my right leg I still have this pattern slightly scarred.

mIVW_XT3-eDtVRVhvkPpRJg.jpg

Bonus points for anyone who recognizes the bike it's off. ;)

Follow ministry guidelines and keep your right foot on the pegs and covering the brake when stopped. Problem solved.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

It's all muscle memory. You mention it's only when you ride away so just be aware of it and place where needed. With time it'll just be automatic.

It's all muscle memory. You mention it's only when you ride away so just be aware of it and place where needed. With time it'll just be automatic.
Agreed...it is kind of like poking yourself in the eye with your thumb when you put the fork to your mouth...
ONLY YOU CAN CHANGE YOU...modify your positioning and repeat...and repeat...and repeat. TILL YOU STOP POKING YOURSELF IN THE EYE! ;)

Buy a bike with an under engine exhaust like the 650R.

Dunno, I thought this was only a problem for passengers on bikes with the huge cannon-style side mounted exhausts.

I've gotten a little heat off the engine when stuck in traffic and riding without proper leg protection but nothing bad enough to cause a burn.

My boots sometimes will touch my exhaust on one side but it doesn't seem to do much beyond leaving a tiny mark on the pipe.

Agreed...it is kind of like poking yourself in the eye with your thumb when you put the fork to your mouth...
ONLY YOU CAN CHANGE YOU...modify your positioning and repeat...and repeat...and repeat. TILL YOU STOP POKING YOURSELF IN THE EYE! ;)

....this.

I've never burned my leg in the few decades and umpteen bikes I've ridden....even wearing shorts(in the campground).

Sometimes when I ride my leg accidentally scrapes the exhaust pipe and my leg gets burned. How can i prevent this?

Most accidents can be prevented thru training. Find a mentor. If this is not possible the use of guards and PPE is highly advisable.

I'd have to be double jointed to burn myself on any of the bikes I've owned.

Did you remove any safety features to save weight?

Otherwise, there's a design flaw in the bike.

I'm wondering now if this is a loud pipes burn legs situation.

The skin will eventually scar and callous up to the point you won't feel it any more. Until then, carry a small fire extinguisher.

Ok, my Sportster's rear cylinder exhaust comes down and you can feel the heat. Especially on hot days in stop and go traffic. But never to the point of burning. It might be uncomfortable sitting in the bike overall with the heat coming from the engine etc.

I have burnt up some Frogtoggs from the same spot and it was suggested to use an ironing board cover on the pants to avoid them from burning.

In all honesty, exhaust wrap will do nothing but prematurely cause the pipe to deteriorate. At least if you ride in the rain. It looks like crap after a little while and you end up having to replace the wrap or exhaust pipe after a couple of years. There are exceptions where folks have wrap and lasted a long time but, I see more complaints than success.

The wrap just heats up from the exhaust and then you burn yourself on that.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple answer stop touching your leg against the hot exhaust. If this is an issue then your doing something wrong. Or someone has modified the bike and did it wrong. Don't think you've replied if it is stock or aftermoarket exhaust?

Back
Top Bottom