HI ALL! RS 125 vs R3 vs Cheaper starter bikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

HI ALL! RS 125 vs R3 vs Cheaper starter bikes?

BaHeK

Hi All! Glad to join your site and riding community!
Guys, Need your opinion to help me decide what to get.

Had 2013 CBR125 for a year, it was slow, vibration on a highway was annoying, but for a first bike overall really good memories and experience.

I'm looking to get something else, and found an awesome 2009 Aprilia rs 125 which is really tempting since it looks amazing and is a head turner, but it is a two stroke with it's cons (and pros), parts are harder to come by and is basically a small supersport bike. Insurance is like $650 a year, but it likes to eat and needs expensive 2T oil. On the other hand it is really cheap to rebuild whole top end on those bikes and everything else is a top quality build - brakes, overall design and it's really rare which adds additional value in ownership
Another Bike that I am tempted to get which is a lot more practical is the 2015 YZF-R3, it has More expensive insurance per year (like $1400), but cheaper fill ups and much more reliable. Other bikes that are much cheaper that I can get right now are Ninja 300 and CBR 250r or 300r, but those are my last choices.

What are your thoughts? Anyone had Aprilia rs125? If you could get your hands on that bike, would you go for it?

Thanks!

What type of riding do you like to do (distance/location/km per year)? Do you have access to a space to repair the bike? Do you need this bike to work every day or can it be tempermental?

The RS is probably the most interesting to own, but any of the 250's or 300's will be much easier to deal with and you will be able to spend more time riding and less working on the bike.

Unl33T probably has more miles on an RS125 than anyone else in the province.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?192239-Rebuilding-a-2-stroke

Welcome!
Wheelie.gif

I was planning on riding it to work (about 45 km one way) and on a weekend once in a while. I have a vehicle so I won't be relying on a bike for transportation. I am leaning towards going for RS 125, just something I really want, and since it is for pleasure only, then I'll get what my heart desires the most I think :)
Thank you for your replies, Everyone is so friendly here and the whole site is very positive from what I see so far!
What type of riding do you like to do (distance/location/km per year)? Do you have access to a space to repair the bike? Do you need this bike to work every day or can it be tempermental?

The RS is probably the most interesting to own, but any of the 250's or 300's will be much easier to deal with and you will be able to spend more time riding and less working on the bike.

Unl33T probably has more miles on an RS125 than anyone else in the province.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?192239-Rebuilding-a-2-stroke

Why would you want to switch from a 125cc to another 125cc? Although I have to agree the Aprilia rs 125 is beautiful.
It looks quite big for a 125cc engine. If it's heavier than your CBR125cc, chances are it will be slower due to the weight.

Insurance on 250 and 300cc is pretty cheap. Yamaha R3 seems to be the most powerful 300 over other 250-300cc bikes if you compare these models' specs.

Good luck.

Why would you want to switch from a 125cc to another 125cc? Although I have to agree the Aprilia rs 125 is beautiful.
It looks quite big for a 125cc engine. If it's heavier than your CBR125cc, chances are it will be slower due to the weight.

Insurance on 250 and 300cc is pretty cheap. Yamaha R3 seems to be the most powerful 300 over other 250-300cc bikes if you compare these models' specs.

Good luck.

Going from a 4 stroke that makes 13HP to a 2 stroke that makes 28HP is not going from a 125 to a 125. Bigger tires, better brakes, better suspension and about the same weight as the Honda.

Might not be as reliable as a daily driver/commuter, but would be an absolute blast to drive on weekends and short trips.

Back
Top Bottom