Latex Gloves to cut the wind off the knuckles.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Latex Gloves to cut the wind off the knuckles....

Veej

Not sure if this a well known practice already, but I was at Royal Distributing on the week-end talking to a sales rep about cold knuckle riding during this time and for the next month or so, he suggested using the garage latex gloves as they are more or less air or fluid proof.... (just like some Trojans...not all Trojans...remember your birth certificate is an official apology from Trojan ;)).

Well I tried it this morning it was like 3c and yes that bloody works!! it was awesome, didn't need to rip my gloves off after the high way at lights to heat my knuckles by the engine. How can I have missed this I always use these when working on my bike and after an hour I would sweat in them due to no air circulation. So due to no air getting in your hands are warming them selves with-in these gloves. I have thicker snowmobile gloves for when it hits below 0 with windchill but haven't taken them out yet as I try to get through as much of the season before breaking them out as last resort.

So with the latex I had 3 layers, the fall/spring gloves (these have just a bit padding not much and thin) with MEC bike liners and the latex.

I've had heated grips on my other bike, but that helps the palms only the knuckles still suffer due to direct hit of the wind, another option would be heated gloves @ over $200. But these costing pennies by the 100 this really is a pleasant and Warm surprise to me!!

Just wanted to put this out there in case some one like me is in the dark and cold also.:p

prostate-screening.jpg

Found my hands would just sweat in them then they would get even colder.

meh to each their own.

meh to each their own.
This. The air needs to be blocked before it hits the cloth gloves to help them retain their heat. Latex offers about zero thermal insulation, so having them as the base layer just causes sweat to build up (sweat offers some insulation but that's really not the way to do it!) There's a reason they put the wind- and water-blocking layer on top and call it the "shell"!

Last edited:
I use a small pair of gloves under my summer ones
9172wsFi2iL._SY355_.jpg
and I find they constrict my circulation too much to be effective.

My heated gloves (when not plugged in) are much more effective than many layers.

Lots of $5 and $10 ideas and "solutions" will quickly equal the cost of what you're trying to avoid. Sometimes it's worth it to spend the money and save your time.

x2 on the latex gloves, although Vinyl works equally as well and don't leave your hands smelling like a rubber. They're also cheaper usually. ;)

The work excellent on rainy days as well. Your gloves can get soaked but your hands are still dry so the moisture doesn't wick away the heat as quickly.

meh to each their own.

This. The air needs to be blocked before it hits the cloth gloves to help them retain their heat. Latex offers about zero thermal insulation, so having them as the base layer just causes sweat to build up (sweat offers some insulation but that's really not the way to do it!) There's a reason they put the wind- and water-blocking layer on top and call it the "shell"!

Agree with these two. If you could put them over your gloves it would be a different story but overgloves tend to not fit very well.

used latex gloves under my thicker gloves in the past. Was alright, but heated grips makes a bigger and better difference and are not difficult to install. Now I wear my summer "rain" gloves and have wind deflectors added to my fairings.

I think wind deflectors would be more effective. Particularly since all my gloves are basically tight enough that I don't have space to fit anything else in there. Was riding yesterday with heated gloves and even then my hands got cold as hell with the continued wind blast.

I'll be looking for some wind blockers for my bike.

This is one of the top reasons windshields are huge, in popularity if not always physical dimension, in the auto sector. Don't need clear hand guards but concept carries over.

Same thing with Thinsulate gloves for me. Short rides are okay, but any longer than 30 minutes and the accumulation of sweat just makes things even worse.

I've got hand guards/roost delflectors, heated grips, genx3 heated glove liners and just picked up velocity heated gloves. No cold hands here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Large dishwashing gloves over regular riding gloves! LOl, Bright yellow ones so you know where you left them.....

Back
Top Bottom