hi | GTAMotorcycle.com

hi

hi I'm Phil. I found this forum lookin for insurance rates. I had bikes since I was 15. My first bike was a 76 CR 125 that I bought for $75.00 not working but I fixed it up ran it around, ended up trading it for a commodore vic 20 computer which was all the rage back then and was worth like 5 times as much as the bike was.

15 years ago I had M2 and for some reason I thought getting M was an option. I didn't realise if you didn't test for M it expires.. anway kids were born and M2 expired.

So 2 years ago I started the process again. have M2 currently and eligible for M test, probably take it next summer.

I bought a nostalgic 1984 Honda XR200R. Completely rebuilt, Bigbore kit (225ccs) piston, rings, seals, gaskets... Bought the Baja Design Lighting kit from California. Has powerful hi/low quartz headlight, LED signals and brake light. Had the stator rebuilt for more amperage, I refinished the rims, put new DOT trailwings on it and a big display Trailtech computer. I spent 1000's on it!

I love that bike! Its street legal, you can go anywhere! Dont have to worry about the battery dying because its kick start. The Baja kit comes with key "run" so you still need a key to start it (security feature)

Thought I would get my wife into motorcycling with that bike.. turns out she wants nothing to do with it, so I bought a Harley.

2005 1200 Sportster XLR (Roadster). Love that bike EXCEPT for the insurance! MOTHER of ALL THAT IS HOLY! My history with bikes means nothing and Im paying 1315/year on the harley. (Honda is only 450/year) Im going to be 50 soon and my record is flawless (so far touch wood)

if anyone has a better idea for insurance, Id like to hear about it. The 1315 was the lowest I could find with Riders Plus.

I have friends in the US that pay 100 - 150/ year for the same bike! It's robbery if you ask me.

BTW, Id like to sell the Honda if anyone is interested. It only has 400k on it since all that work!

Attachments

• 2015-11-09 12.44.07.jpg
    2015-11-09 12.44.07.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8453.jpg
    IMG_8453.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 29
Welcome. I'v been with RP for 8 years. I was just over $1K on my '11 1200 with full coverage last year.

Rates should drop on the 1200 after you get your M and a few more years of riding I would think. Have you tried getting a quote with Mantha? Most of the guys I ride with went there with M2's.

If the rates don't drop then it's time for a stage II power upgrade, may as well get some satisfaction from them insuring it.

Welcome!

Shop around when you get the renewal. Sometimes it's costly to switch while a policy is in force.

Riders Choice is a good place to check as well as Dalton Timmis which is or was a sponsor here.

Btw, I'm a fan of the Roadster.......
6e74396440ee494878c1ded47afb8a7d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 years ago I had M2 and for some reason I thought getting M was an option. I didn't realise if you didn't test for M it expires.. anway kids were born and M2 expired.

2005 1200 Sportster XLR (Roadster). Love that bike EXCEPT for the insurance! MOTHER of ALL THAT IS HOLY! My history with bikes means nothing and Im paying 1315/year on the harley. (Honda is only 450/year) Im going to be 50 soon and my record is flawless (so far touch wood)

Sounds like we're in a very similar situation. I used to ride 20 years ago, never got around to getting the full M before I sold my bike, and then forgot all about it...and it expired.

Don't feel bad about your insurance rates. I'm 41 now, bought a VTX1300 this fall and my first year (starting out at the M1 again and having taken the MSC) is just slightly over $1900 for the VTX. I've been told that my year 2 insurance will probably be about half of that, and year 3 (where you are now) probably in the same range as what you're paying for your Honda now.

The reason your Harley is so expensive is mostly because of their high theft rates, assuming you have full coverage on it. I wouldn't expect to find a drastically lower cost mainly for this reason, so your only option might be to drop to liability only if you're comfortable with that and the decrease is essential.

PrivatePilot

that IS only liability :(

Ouch. I've been told to expect something in the $700-$900 for my second year rate, perhaps a little less yet for year 3, so I'm not sure how with liability only you're still up there so high...unless there's still a "Harley Premium" even for liability only or something.

Did you ask Riders Plus for a breakdown of the rate and why it seems high? During my MC policy hunt I came across an easter-egg on my record that I didn't even know was there that had the potential to jack my rate up unknowingly - very long story, but it was something that shouldn't have been there...that was. Riders Plus worked around it (it was due to fall off my record 3 weeks after the policy was written anyways) and it was a non issue, but State Farm took issue with it (despite an eventual explanation and justification that it was there in error) and in the end my rate there would have been $1000 more than what it should rightfully have been. Perhaps worth checking, grasping at straws probably, but hey...happened to me.

PrivatePilot

yes, they told me Harley has a lot to do with it. A Vulcan 900 for instance, I would have been like 900.00/year. (sounds like a dollar per cc/year) They go by cc's, make, years driving, record. still bogus when our US friends insure bikes for 100-200/year.

The bike is one of 5 vehicles.. how much use can it possible get in 6 months of the year?

After a couple of years the insurance should drop on your Harley. I think I paid around $1000 for my Softail this year through Certas. If this keeps up people are going to start riding without insurance again. There's only so far you can go before people rebel.

still bogus when our US friends insure bikes for 100-200/year.

I think when you compare the coverage and benefits of our insurance here vs what these $100/year policies in many US states provide (read as...very little) you'll find it's kind of an apples and oranges situation.

Back
Top Bottom