State Farm renewal raises my Super Sport rate 275% on BMW | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

State Farm renewal raises my Super Sport rate 275% on BMW

I've looked into how to file a proper complaint about this. Basically you file with State Farm and then once you have a final answer from them. Presumably that they aren't going to give you a fair rate. You can file a complaint with the FSCO who will look at the policies to see if they are BS. I've also been including the Toronto Star and CBC market place on my emails. Here's some contact info and instructions on the process if you would like to join me in logging a complaint and raising this issue to the government.

Toronto Start lettertoed@thestar.ca
FSCO contactcentre@fsco.gov.on.ca
CBC marketplace@cbc.ca
State Farm Ombudsman (They deal with complaints) :
Name – Ms. Carolyn Mitchell
E-Mail Address – statefarmCLO@statefarm.com

Here is a letter I got back from the GIO that explains the complaint process. I'm already going through this and suggest you do as well. Hopefully the FSCO will look into this and back us up. These rates really are suspicious and seem completely arbitrary.

---------

Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO):

You are correct about the role played by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO). FSCO regulates automobile insurance in Ontario. FSCO has the regulatory authority to review the underwriting/rating/pricing practices of an insurer (in Ontario). FSCO can conduct a review to ensure that the insurer has not violated the Insurance Act and/or engaged in any improper practices. FSCO can be reached by calling 1-800-668-0128 (or locally 416-250-7250) and/or by e-mail at contactcentre@fsco.gov.on.ca. Their website –www.fsco.ca – may be useful.

FSCO may first request that you escalate your complaint to the insurer’s Company Liaison Officer (CLO)/Ombudsman in order to obtain a “Final Position Letter” if the matter cannot be resolved to the satisfaction of all parties. For complete information, please review the following link: http://fsco.ca/en/insurance/complaints/pages/default.aspx.

State Farm's Complaint Process:

The CLO’s contact information for Certas Home and Auto Insurance Company is as follows:

Name – Ms. Carolyn Mitchell
E-Mail Address – statefarmCLO@statefarm.com
Telephone Number – 1-877-370-3276
Fax Number – 905 750 4035

Please do not be alarmed if the CLO delegates your case to another individual in order to investigate your complaint. The CLO upon review of your concerns may prepare a “Final Position Letter” (if it is required) or if the CLO is not the writer of this letter she will normally be copied to ensure that she agrees with the contents of the response. Our office does not have control over the timeline taken by an insurer to provide a “Final Position Letter”. However, once in receipt of the letter, if you are still not satisfied with the insurer’s response, contact our office to explore other possible options or consider the information written in this response.

Here is a link to the insurer`s website which outlines their “Customer Care” process: https://www.statefarm.ca/customer-care/complaint-liaison.

Advise Ms. Mitchell (or her representative) that GIO made you aware of her role and contact information.

The use of e-mail should expedite a response from the CLO/CLO’s office. I strongly recommend the use of e-mail as it lessens the chances of miscommunication/misunderstanding, allows the CLO’s office to possibly re-direct your e-mail and further provides an electronic trail of your communications.

You should learn from the CLO/CLO’s office about the basis for the insurer’s actions. The insurer will normally provide substantiation as to the grounds for their actions. You could ask if anything could be done regarding your “issue”/situation. You may be able to resolve the issue at the CLO’s level.

Last edited:
Try Carlos from Cornerstone if you haven't already signed up!
1-800-263-2369 ext167

Very nice guy, informed me that usually if you have been licensed with M for 6 years their prices won't be beat. Unfortunately, I haven't been riding for that long so my quote came out to 5K a year.

I just talked to my SF agent and my 2002 CBR F4i is going from $700 per year up to $1350 per year. Im 40, no accidents or tickets....Bye Bye SF.
Come to the track :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Anyone NOT experience a substantial rate hike with State Farm?

I'm still waiting to get the new rate adjustment for my GSXR1000. My other bike (adventure class), and two cars have already come in at slightly reduced rates.

I'm expecting the worst for the super bike, as I've only seen reports of large increases for super sports on this site.

Is there anyone with a supersport that's been surprised with little rate change?

Re: Anyone NOT experience a substantial rate hike with State Farm?

I just moved my SF bike insurance to Mass Insurance Brokers.
2007 HD Ultra Classic and a 2000 Honda CBR600 F4 - I'm saving $2,000 per year from the move.

It's too bad really, SF was the place to be when I needed new insurance several years ago - Seamus Kelly was competitive and great to deal with.

Last edited:

I'm turning 27 and I've been insured with SF for a few years, moved both my cars and S1000RR to them to get multi car and multi vehicle discounts and my premium of $1800. It stayed relatively the same for 3 terms, now I'm up for renewal in May and it jumped to $3100. Looks like I'll be doing some shopping around.

Last edited:

I've been with Statefarm since I started riding and driving 15 years ago. My GSXR1000 went from $1251 last year to $2018 this year - 80% increase. Allstate has now insured me for $760.

Been with Statefarm for almost 40 years. Insured many a bike/car/house with them. I ride a BMW ST800 and although not a sport bike I was a bit concerned about a large increase. Since my car insurance is up before the bike insurance I called my agent and asked if I could get the cost of the motorcycle before I paid for my car insurance. He said sure and started checking. While waiting for the system we talked about the increased rates and he was very politely preparing me for a large increase. When the quote came back he actually cheered. :) It was $100 less then last year. So surprising we actually double checked... I seemingly dodged a bullet. Still not a good situation in that if I want to buy a sport bike I'll have to keep insurance in the back of my mind. One of the reasons I always stayed with Statefarm was that I would just buy a bike knowing the insurance would be reasonable.

I've been with Statefarm since I started riding and driving 15 years ago. My GSXR1000 went from $1251 last year to $2018 this year

Been with Statefarm for almost 40 years. Insured many a bike/car/house with them. I ride a BMW ST800 and although not a sport bike I was a bit concerned about a large increase. Since my car insurance is up before the bike insurance I called my agent and asked if I could get the cost of the motorcycle before I paid for my car insurance. He said sure and started checking. While waiting for the system we talked about the increased rates and he was very politely preparing me for a large increase. When the quote came back he actually cheered. :) It was $100 less then last year. So surprising we actually double checked... I seemingly dodged a bullet. Still not a good situation in that if I want to buy a sport bike I'll have to keep insurance in the back of my mind. One of the reasons I always stayed with Statefarm was that I would just buy a bike knowing the insurance would be reasonable.

As excited as you may be, you can do better. My BMW non sportbike bike rate came in with statefarm earlier in the year (well before my gsxr) and the rate went down over $100 as well.

When I was forced to start shopping around because of my gsxr increase, I learned that my BMW was still over priced with Statefarm. Both alternative quotes I got took another $350 off the reduced StateFarm renewal! So $450 saving from last year.

I'd bet you'll save the same if you shop elsewhere. Your cars will be cheaper as well.

Last edited:
Just called this guy, got a quote for $700 for my bike. I guess I can still ride!
just curious, is that for the 06 kawi 636?? i have a buddy who is about to need insurance on his 636 when his SF renewal comes up.

Good idea. I'll take a look around.

As excited as you may be, you can do better. My BMW non sportbike bike rate came in with statefarm earlier in the year (well before my gsxr) and the rate went down over $100 as well.

When I was forced to start shopping around because of my gsxr increase, I learned that my BMW was still over priced with Statefarm. Both alternative quotes I got took another $350 off the reduced StateFarm renewal! So $450 saving from last year.

I'd bet you'll save the same if you shop elsewhere. Your cars will be cheaper as well.

Good idea. I'll take a look around.
Just received the renewal from allstate, rate unchanged. 32, 2010 vfr 1200, $780/yr

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

26, coming in on one year experience. Not exactly a super sport but my Ninja 250 went up 15% from $769 to $888, and I'm not sure why. Guessing it's the Certas/Desjardins underwriter change. I remember my broker told me last year that my insurance should go down. I don't have a house or a car so it looks like I'm stuck with this, as everyone else requires those for the better rates.

Can't justify paying $1000+/year for a 6 month riding season. Looks like I'm staying with a 250 for now.

Last edited:
I must have missed the post where someone explained why the increases in rates... I got a notice that said The ON gov is introducing a standard comprehensive deductible... Is that the only reason rates are going up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really need to contact a few brokers.

These are some prices I recently got for some bikes I am considering. This is with State Farm. 45 yrs old, male, no accidents or tickets, ABM2Z licence.

Copied and pasted from a couple of e-mails:

2013 Honda CBR500R = $74.04 per month
· 2013 Honda CB500F = $74.04 per month
· 2014 Honda CBR650F = $93.78 per month
· 2014 Ducati 821 Monster = $103.48 per month
· 2014 Triumph Bonneville = $103.48 per month
· 2014 Triumph Bonneville T100 = $103.48 per month
· 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 = $93.78 per month

202008-2013 Honda CB1000, would be a monthly premium of $92.12-$99.67. For no collision, keeping the comprehensive deductible set for $300.
· 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, would be a monthly premium of $106.10. With full coverage, setting the collision deductible at $500 and the comprehensive deductible at $300."

I was curious about the Honda CB500 bikes to save some insurance money. Rate is almost identical to what I currently pay for my CB 750! Crazy!

I drive an R6. Opened up my new policy today from State Farm and god damn, my insurance went up 86% from $1,500 to $2,800 - !! I love how the policy letter promotes new governmental changes to "the system" to help save Canadians money and then BAM!!!

The bit where I lose it is when they ask you a series of questions with the courtesy follow up email;

To begin, below are 7 questions that could save you money.

1. Do you have winter tires for your vehicle?
To reward safe winter driving, we offer savings on your auto insurance premium if your car is equipped with four winter tires.
2. Are you interested in being rewarded based on how you drive?
If so, Telematics is an insurance savings program that’s completely voluntary, free, and runs through your smart phone with the Telematics App. Based on your driving habits, it could help you save up to an additional 25% on your auto insurance premium on renewal!**
3. Where do you park your vehicle at night?
You may qualify for a preferred parking savings.
4. How many kilometers do you drive per year?
You may now fall within a different category for insurance purposes.
5. Do you have other policies not insured with us? Home/condo/renters, cars….
A great way to save even more on your insurance premiums is to insure your property(s) and car(s) together. You can enjoy greater convenience knowing your vehicles and properties are insured together.
6. Are you still working?
If not, you may qualify for our retiree discount?
7. How many years have you been continuously insured on an auto policy as a principle or occasional operator?

In addition, we now offer Accident Free Protection coverage, is this something that you would like to purchase?

Finally, finally got my renewal from SF. Well, not in the mail yet but a communication from my agent. She told me my rate is actually going down a tad, from $1059 to $1016 on the Fazer 8. Going from M2 to M recently netted no effect on the rate.

I'm really happy with that and will be staying with these guys for now. That figure is lower than any other quote I've thus far seen (online, via brokers etc.) It probably helps that I'm 49, married, have no claims and also have three cars and a house with them...

Lucky me.

Finally, finally got my renewal from SF. Well, not in the mail yet but a communication from my agent. She told me my rate is actually going down a tad, from $1059 to $1016 on the Fazer 8. Going from M2 to M recently netted no effect on the rate.

I'm really happy with that and will be staying with these guys for now. That figure is lower than any other quote I've thus far seen (online, via brokers etc.) It probably helps that I'm 49, married, have no claims and also have three cars and a house with them...

Lucky me.

Sorry to break it to ya bud, you getting shafted.

You said you got an M, and your rate didnt go down?

If your 49, you should be getting a better quote.

When in doubt, shop around

Back
Top Bottom