Anyone have a Buell 1125r? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone have a Buell 1125r?

Once upon a time I had a demo from a local dealer for a week.
This is going a while back.
Front brake has no feel. I remember it feeling a bit weak, also took more lever travel to get that initial bite. I didn't care for this no matter how cool the front rotor looks. It's a bit bigger than the typical super sport bike, so the ergos were fine. Engine seemed a bit unrefined. Had a good amount of torque , but I seem to recall it running of steam up top. The thing handled decently enough for anything I was willing to do on the street.
Overall it seem like a mediocre bike, does everything well enough but doesn't captivate your attention in any one area. And for the price they were asking back then I understand why they didn't sell, never mind the looks of the thing.

Used to own one, and loved it - neighbour ran it over in our shared driveway, and that's the only reason I don't have it anymore.
Handling is good with stock suspension. It's a very comfortable sport bike. Try http://cycle-ergo.com to compare the riding position to whatever bikes you have now.
It's surprisingly easy to speed (and not realize it) on this bike - they did a ton of fluid dynamic testing, so the rider's cockpit is very well protected from wind.

As to what to expect from it... If it's a 2009+ model, you will have stator issues. HD demanded more electrical power so people could install all the electrical crap HD riders usually have put on their bikes - unfortunately, they didn't redo the stator oil jetting and they burn out. People have experimented with various rewind companies (check out badweatherbikers.com) with varying success rates.

The other problem that they usually ran into was leaking from the clutch weep hole - they released a fix for it, but it's something to pay attention to.

Friend of mine in the US is selling his barely used one and has offered me a great deal on it, but I'm not going to buy it simply because HD has dropped all parts support. If I was going to buy it, I'd need to find a salvage titled one to go along with it simply as a parts bike.

As for Komodo's comments on it, I thought the front brake wasn't bad at all - maybe 'cause I changed the fluid out for race fluid and swapped out the levers too. The bike is definitely wider than most sport bikes, but also shorter, which gives it it's quick turn ability. Agreed, it does run out of steam up top, but it has a good amount of grunt for corner drive etc.

Last edited:
BigEvilDoer, those are just my impressions of having one for a week. I typically ride super sport bikes and recall that the front brake was one of the things that I really didn't care for on the bike. I have a friend that has a XB and I've ridden that and it's front brake feels vague also. I don't believe that it's a fluid or lever thing. Might be a pad and master cylinder related or just something inherent to the perimeter brake.
Was still a fun bike to ride.

I was thinking something different than the VFR for my next bike since I also have a KLR which I can use for touring and was considering something a bit more sporty but Japanese super sports don't fit me so well. I find them too cramped.

I've read a lot of reviews and opinions and it's a mixed bag when it comes to reliabilty but most people seem to agree that it's a capable bike.

Original mapping was off, Buell did offer a fix. There were aftermarket ECUs available as well that made a whole lot of difference.

Front brake is unique design so that may be the issue with the feel people are not used to. Frankly I don't know though.

Mainly wanted to sit on one because even though I looked up ergos online, hands on experience is unbeatable.

Last edited:
I remember when HD was killing Buell they were whoring the 1125R's out in the USA for around $6.5K.
Up here I believe I seen a few sub $10K new at dealers at the time because at the time at those prices it's a competitive bike not for the price they were asking prior to killing Buell.

If Jap SS bikes feel cramped the Buell won't be any better. I loved the 1125cr which felt a lot like my GSXR1000 to sit on.

I've read a lot of reviews and opinions and it's a mixed bag when it comes to reliabilty but most people seem to agree that it's a capable bike.

Original mapping was off, Buell did offer a fix. There were aftermarket ECUs available as well that made a whole lot of difference.

Front brake is unique design so that may be the issue with the feel people are not used to. Frankly I don't know though.

The original mapping was redone, and you could have it updated at a shop.
I bought an HMF exhaust with matching exhaust from Erik Buell Racing, and wow. What a difference. The bike really woke up, and the rumble was glorious. One of the best sounding bikes I've heard.

Front brake worked well enough to be used in AMA races, so it was beyond good enough for me.

There are a bunch for sale on Kijiji. One in Barrie for $4000 OBO. That appears to be closest to you for a test-sit.
It's also a 2008 - so make sure the right side has the big clutch cover puck on it - a little under the size of a real hockey puck. If it has the flimsy 1.5" wide and 1/4" thick one, it hasn't had the clutch weep fix done to it.

Hardwrkr13 says it's cramped - actually, it's not. Since the bike is very wide, you're not squeezed into an odd position when you're straddling it. The handlebars are relatively widely spaced as well.

If you can't find one to sit on, a KTM RC8r isn't too far off the ballpark in the way it feels either.

Last edited:
Hardwrkr13 says it's cramped - actually, it's not. Since the bike is very wide, you're not squeezed into an odd position when you're straddling it. The handlebars are relatively widely spaced as well.

If you can't find one to sit on, a KTM RC8r isn't too far off the ballpark in the way it feels either.

You're entitled to your opinion. But an RC8R isn't wide at all.

You're entitled to your opinion. But an RC8R isn't wide at all.

OK, I guess I should have been a little clearer.
The "wide bike" is for the 1125r.
Agreed the RC8r isn't nearly as wide (I own one now), but the rider triangle feels very similar to me overall, hence my "way it feels" comment.
Compared to my Triumph Daytona 675, both bikes have significantly wider handlebars and overall width.

Guessing you too watched the regularcars youtube review.

RCR did a video on the Ulysses, but I don't think they reviewed the 1125r.

Front brake worked well enough to be used in AMA races, so it was beyond good enough for me.
QUOTE]

True enough, but comparing a race bike vs production...I'm sure they use the same set-up.
The 1125R sure showed those 600's a tire didn't they?

True enough, but comparing a race bike vs production...I'm sure they use the same set-up.
The 1125R sure showed those 600's a tire didn't they?

Yup. Don't forget the 40 pounds of ballast they had to carry as well.
They outdrove any 600 out of corners but their top end wasn't so wonderful.

Yeah, almost double the displacement will get you some good torque allow you to do that.

Which makes the engine a nice street engine good mid range as I remember.

I was thinking something different than the VFR for my next bike since I also have a KLR which I can use for touring and was considering something a bit more sporty but Japanese super sports don't fit me so well. I find them too cramped.

Mainly wanted to sit on one because even though I looked up ergos online, hands on experience is unbeatable.

IMHO if the question is VFR or something else the answer is probably VFR.

Back
Top Bottom