Liberals likely to support TPP deal | GTAMotorcycle.com

Liberals likely to support TPP deal

TPP is terrible for the average Canadian on every front.

The fact that decisions are required to be made that favour foreign companies interests over Canadian citizens interest is at the core of the problem. How many times have we been sued over NAFTA? How many times have we won?

Now this will apply to Canadian intellectual property. Now this will apply to ensuring our citizens have affordable medicines. Canadian interests should always come first.

Still with nothing to offer Mike?

Why do you support TPP Mike? or Why do you oppose TPP?

I think what he means is much the same as you.

11168456_524234114368295_1373575556630282595_n.jpg

i suspect he was for it when it was the conservative plan and now is against it because the liberals are backing it

I suspect that he sees the irony in people voting for the appearance of change.

I suspect that he sees the irony in people voting for the appearance of change.

There is far more than the appearance of change. We have already seen lots of real and welcome change. The Liberals were always for TPP but many had hoped they could sway. Big business has always run political interests not citizens. I voted NDP because they were the only major party to come out against TPP.

I want to know why those in favour of TPP support it? NAFTA has been terrible for the Canadian worker and only a boon to CEOs and shareholders. They are not the people that need support in the Canadian economy.

Last edited:
There is far more than the appearance of change. We have already seen lots of real and welcome change. The Liberals were always for TPP but many had hoped they could sway. Big business has always run political interests not citizens. I voted NDP because they were the only major party to come out against TPP.

I want to know why those in favour of TPP support it? NAFTA has been terrible for the Canadian worker and only a boon to CEOs and shareholders. They are not the people that need support in the Canadian economy.

A jaded part of me suspects that the money holders run 2 horses in this race.

The liberals supported it prior to the election and didn't campaign to change it. If you didn't like it Mulcair was the only alternative.

I voted for NDP for other reasons, but supported the TPP because it helps my business, and we will all be able to buy real wagyu beef soon.

If you work in an old style manufacturing industry like Auto Manufacturing I really don't see it changing much either. You will always have one part of the consumer base that will keep buying domestic regardless of how bad it is, and the other part still buying Japanese because they want a better product. There will be a small % of people that will switch to, say a Honda Civic from Chevy Cobalt, as if they drop tariffs they can now afford a much better product but I don't think that will be a lot.

Has anyone actually read the TPP? I haven't so not sure how bad it actually is...for those that are stating we're all doomed because of it...please explain what I'm missing.

Has anyone actually read the TPP? I haven't so not sure how bad it actually is...for those that are stating we're all doomed because of it...please explain what I'm missing.
They're probably upset because it will get harder and costlier to pirate their T.V. shows, sports, movies and music.

There have already been large changes in the first days of office so I really don't see your point. Especially because TPP was not something the Liberals campaigned to change.

Here's "one" of the changes - Justins new cabinet:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...not-a-true-canadian-portrait/article27200206/

Of course the real question is whether or not the changes are good or bad, but of course those in the "anybody but Harper" camp clearly demonstrate that logic and reason need not apply when shrill emotion is in play......

They're probably upset because it will get harder and costlier to pirate their T.V. shows, sports, movies and music.

Hardly. Its the extension of copyright term by 20yrs keeping many works out of the public domain. This will cost Canadians millions and hurt Schools who rely on many of the works. The U.S. copyright & Patent system is a mess of patent trolls bullying and suing. We would also be adopting takedowns like the US where someones content or lively hood could be taken down without ever having been taken to court. Crap like this happens

http://www.vice.com/read/universal-music-group-took-down-after-the-smokes-music

Here's "one" of the changes - Justins new cabinet:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...not-a-true-canadian-portrait/article27200206/

Of course the real question is whether or not the changes are good or bad, but of course those in the "anybody but Harper" camp clearly demonstrate that logic and reason need not apply when shrill emotion is in play......

Its a hell of a lot better than what was previously there. I love that the backlash against Justin so far is 'He isn't completely perfect look look' while he is making massive strides to improve things in Ottawa. Letting Scientists speak to the media is a huge step forward.

Trudeau has made some great appointments to cabinet and I didn't even vote for him. Logical appointments where people who actually know about something serve as minister not just yes men.

Trade agreements can be good or bad. Just ask aboriginal people looking to settle land claims? How about that craptastic deal we gave the American's to take Alaska off our hands? Made out like bandits!

nafta? When it comes to manufacturing, I don't know? We certainly would pay a whole lot more for a lot of imported things and we export a lot more than we consume? It's rather complex and don't think anyone can really provide an easy to understand explanation of how we end up in the grand scheme of things.

As for Balsillie comments, they give me pause because, a lot of things the government does, sure doesn't make sense. Examples Provincially like the 407 come to mind. It's capitalism free market ideas like that which make me wonder what other great plans politicians can make?

I'd rather some enterprising people review the fine print to either support or debunk some concerns.

Understanding there is always give and take with an agreement of any kind.

Just don't want to get screwed over royally in the name of global trade agreements that results in Canada left in the dust.

I don't trust Jim Balsillie's judgement either considering his last few decisions while at the helm of RIM but, he seems to raise some valid concerns.

I just don't know if the general public understands what is truly at stake here? Like this guy.

Trade agreements can be good or bad. Just ask aboriginal people looking to settle land claims? How about that craptastic deal we gave the American's to take Alaska off our hands? Made out like bandits!

nafta? When it comes to manufacturing, I don't know? We certainly would pay a whole lot more for a lot of imported things and we export a lot more than we consume? It's rather complex and don't think anyone can really provide an easy to understand explanation of how we end up in the grand scheme of things.

As for Balsillie comments, they give me pause because, a lot of things the government does, sure doesn't make sense. Examples Provincially like the 407 come to mind. It's capitalism free market ideas like that which make me wonder what other great plans politicians can make?

I'd rather some enterprising people review the fine print to either support or debunk some concerns.

Understanding there is always give and take with an agreement of any kind.

Just don't want to get screwed over royally in the name of global trade agreements that results in Canada left in the dust.

I don't trust Jim Balsillie's judgement either considering his last few decisions while at the helm of RIM but, he seems to raise some valid concerns.

I just don't know if the general public understands what is truly at stake here? Like this guy.

Huh?!? I'm not sure if you understand.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Purchase

Back
Top Bottom