Google Maps unpauuged | GTAMotorcycle.com

Google Maps unpauuged

suzuki2000

this sounds promising...

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/11/10/google-maps-offers-offline-navigation

Google Maps offers offline navigation
EW YORK -- Google Maps is getting disconnected.

With an update for Android phones Tuesday, you'll be able to search nearby businesses and get driving directions, including turn-by-turn voice prompts, even if your Internet connection is spotty or non-existent. Google says a version for iPhones will come soon.

The feature is ideal if you're trying to leave an underground parking garage or a remote national park. It's also great if you're travelling abroad and want to conserve on expensive data plans. Google is also targeting users in emerging markets, where cellular speeds are slower and prices are higher relative to typical incomes.
Mapping apps included with Windows phones have long had this feature, but Windows has a tiny market share compared with iPhones and Android. Offline mapping is also available with some third-party apps, including Nokia's Here.
Google Maps has had a limited offline feature. It lets you save a small region ahead of time, but it's the equivalent of displaying a paper map in a phone app. You can't use it for navigation and other tasks we've come to expect in digital maps.
With the new version, you'll be able to do most of what you can do now.
You'll need to download databases ahead of time, preferably when you have a Wi-Fi connection. To do so, start by searching for a location, such as a city. Then pinch in or out to select what area you want to download. Larger areas will give you more flexibility for navigation, but they also take up more storage. As you change your selection, you're told how large the file is and how much storage on the phone you have left.
Once you download an area, Google will periodically refresh the data with new businesses and road changes. By default, that's done only when you're on Wi-Fi.
What you won't get with offline mapping is traffic information. Once you're back online, Google Maps might suggest a detour if there's unusual backup ahead. You also won't get photos and user reviews for businesses. But you do get contact information, hours and an overall user rating.
For directions, the feature initially works only with driving. It's not yet available for walking, biking or public transit -- so you might still be stuck in subway stations.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I prefer to rely on these:

FOLDED-PAPER-MAP.jpg

So it was still available...but now it's been revamped to allow up to 2.5gb of saving in one area.

Also, ill see if that means i can uninstall Nokia HERE or not... its kinda useful to download a whole state/province at a time...but also... it can be overkill to download one state/province at a time.

So it was still available...but now it's been revamped to allow up to 2.5gb of saving in one area.

Definitely looks improved - before it would download just enough to allow navigation, it looks like now it downloads plenty more including POI's and such.

Until the map shreds in the wind while you are heading up hwy 11. :/

or you miss your turn and get stuck on the 401:(

Which is why I have one of these old fashioned critters on my handlebars. ;) (Don't trust my iPhone perched there, & these things are almost disposable in today's realities - if it's wrecked or stolen, oh well...)

bikegps.jpg

FOLDED-PAPER-MAP.jpg

except you need to know where you are first...otherwise it's good for starting a campfire.

There are so many offline mapping options these days that Google is playing catchup tho I think it's useful.

$50 one time gets me lifetime offline TomTom maps and app that always works and has POI plus turn by turn.
CoPilot is another

Last edited:
And for android, try Oruxmaps.

I tried Locus Pro, Osmand, and a lot of others, but there was something about all of them I didn't like.

Oruxmaps is free, has great maps with trails for hiking and all, records gpx, reads gpx, and after a very short learning curve I have mine setup to automatically save every gpx track I create into my dropbox when on wifi.

I'm starting to use and like my phone better than my Garmin gpx... the last three features that my Garmin hiking gps is better than my phone with oruxmaps is that it is absolutely waterproof and even floats (Garmin 78 marine gps) and very rugged, is more visible in bright daylight, and has button controls, not touchscreen, so it is easy to use with gloves -- any gloves.

Nowadays I use the garmin on the dirtbike, the android phone on the street/gravel bike. Google maps when I want to avoid traffic issues, Oruxmaps when I want to randomly explore and mark my track.

For avoiding traffic...nothing beats Waze. You do need an always-on connection on your phone though for it's amazing traffic avoiding features to work, and since it's basically crowdsourcing, the data you feed into it while driving helps others as well.

For avoiding traffic...nothing beats Waze. You do need an always-on connection on your phone though for it's amazing traffic avoiding features to work, and since it's basically crowdsourcing, the data you feed into it while driving helps others as well.

I'm off to Central America soon and Waze was recommended for where I'll be as GPS maps are next to useless where I'm going. Does it work fine offline without the traffic info? Google maps might work fine now too but roads change quickly without warning in the boonies due to washouts etc so that's why crowdsourced maps seem to work well I'm thinking.

I'm off to Central America soon and Waze was recommended for where I'll be as GPS maps are next to useless where I'm going. Does it work fine offline without the traffic info? Google maps might work fine now too but roads change quickly without warning in the boonies due to washouts etc so that's why crowdsourced maps seem to work well I'm thinking.

Waze is pretty good, but it doesn't work well offline from my experience. It caches a bit of data, but not a whole lot. To test how it works, just turn off your mobile data, turn on waze when on wifi, then drive away -- you'll see.

My biggest gripe with Waze are the ads it pops up, always telling me that there is a Tims nearby, or whatever. It's annoying.

I was pretty impressed with Google Maps traffic avoidance skills last time I rode into the city with traffic... it correctly kept me either in the Collectors or the Express lanes depending on which was moving faster. It also routed me North on the 427 and over on the 409 to avoid congestion at the Martin Grove area and I always seemed to be moving faster than the other set of lanes.

Next time I am heading onto the 401 I'll have to try Waze and see how it does for express/collector lane guidance.

THe other day there was an accident on the gardiner. Traffic was at a STOP. Not budging.

It made me take queen....which was horrible.

And when i got to Jameson to get back on gardiner, it seemed to be free flowing. I wasnt impressed.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I prefer to rely on these:

FOLDED-PAPER-MAP.jpg

My wife used one of those the first time we were riding in California and Arizona and it found a restaurant that we had lunch in!

Here's how it worked:

Try to hold on to map in the wind.
Momentarily lose your grip on map.
Start chasing map on foot.
Keep chasing it knowing every time you get close it will take off again.
Keep repeating the above unit it stops at a restaurant.

It found us a great local Burrito place!

..Tom

Last edited:
I don't like the changes google has made to there maps.
I prefer google classic of old for picking my routes.
to me its just so much simplar to use.
I've just started using a gps its been hit and miss but this last fall trip it worked well.
maybe its the operator tho i can never admit that.

I've been using and old Nokia Lumia with just the HERE Maps installed. Works great at getting around and finding what I need. It's been offline only for a long time. Used it through France, Austria and Germany this summer, no issues. As well through the Eastern US. It's free and you can download the whole state, province, country.

FOLDED-PAPER-MAP.jpg

except you need to know where you are first...otherwise it's good for starting a campfire.

There are so many offline mapping options these days that Google is playing catchup tho I think it's useful.

$50 one time gets me lifetime offline TomTom maps and app that always works and has POI plus turn by turn.
CoPilot is another

I paid for TomTom. I never use it anymore. Just Google Maps or Waze and HERE.

I hope they allow you download more area than you could on the old one. It was such a small area before that it wasn't useful (especially since you couldn't search or anything like that). Although when I was cruising the Yukon I had very spotty network coverage and on the Navigate mode I never had a problem with Google Maps.

Back
Top Bottom