Riding Lake Superior | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Lake Superior

Kyrock

I'm hoping to ride Lake Superior next summer and would appreciate hearing from anyone who have done this ride to learn how many days should the ride take (leaving from Toronto)? I'm thinking 5 days. Is that to optimistic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you riding around Lake Superior or staying on the Canadian side and just doing the north shore (ie Thunder Bay and back)?
Either way, 5 days should be enough time, unless you ride slow or like to stop and enjoy the sites along the way.

So many variables. Camping or hotels? Cut into Michigan and head up to the Mackinaw Bridge or stick with Ontario and head up to Tobermory catch the ferry and run through Manitoulan Island and across to the Soo?

I've done it all by cage but not on the bike.

Then start the adventure of Lake Superior.

5 days is enough at a good pace if you take the TC1. You can get to Thunder Bay for second night from Toronto (with one stop over in SSM). For the way back, you can make take TC1 down to Wawa and take 101/129 via Chapleau and down to Iron Bridge. From there take the Manetoulln island route via Espanola. It's a beautiful ride with tons of scenery no matter which way you go. Just stay on the Canadian side, as the US side is very boring on the bike.

Thanks all for the replies.

I'm hoping to do the entire Lake, going from Canada into the Us and back into Canada. I'm not planning on doing any camping... Motels along the route.

I suspect July would be the best time weather wise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did it in 6 days last year, including one extra day that I basically just sat out the rain (major storm)

Stayed mostly in hotels, only one camping night... Did it clock-wise (to be closer to the lake as I rode).

My honest opinion is - totally doable in 5 days, and it will be a nice trip, but you'll see so many nice places you'll want to visit and spend time, but won't be able due to the time constrains... I could easily go again and spend weeks, just hiking along and sight-seeing... Still, for what we get in terms of vacation days, it is a nice trip to do.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I lived in Sault Ste. Marie and Heyden for a couple years, did a big Algoma loop this summer too. Feel free to hit me up with any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer

Thanks adv-round and macs. I will most certainly reach out should I have any other questions. Many thanks!

A nice road is the road from the Soo out to Searchmont - nice fast sweepers with great pavement.
Check out the Terry Fox memorial in Thunder Bay if you have a chance

A nice road is the road from the Soo out to Searchmont - nice fast sweepers with great pavement.
Check out the Terry Fox memorial in Thunder Bay if you have a chance

If you're talking about the 556/Ranger Lake Rd. You need to be extremely careful when you get about 30-40 minutes down (a little passed the Searchmont turn-off), the road has been shut down in the past for severe frost heaves and I've ripped the bumper off a cavalier out there too. They're not always signed and sometimes are pretty nasty. Mid-summer they should all be at the very least signed though.

I say this because it's VERY tempting to just continue since the road is so much fun.

Also worth noting that as I remember there is NO gas on the entire 556, so plan accordingly. The 556 in its entirety end to end is around 110km if I'm not mistaken. If you do end up making time for a quick Ranger Lake Road/Hwy 129 run it is OODLES of fun with terrific scenery. The 556 becomes an extremely technical road though for about 2-3 hours worth of riding. I personally wouldn't try it without 50/50 tires and a long suspension to account for the random parts that are hard packed dirt/gravel. It'll go paved to that to chip seal to old pavement etc. Ripping down that road with AWD and a turbo 2.0 was almost as good as riding. And bonus, no OPP ever. Never ever ever. They won't go down 556 unless there's a 911 call. It's too remote for their radios to work and traffic is so light/rare they won't ever write tickets either. The 129 is a completely different story.

A fantastic day trip is:

SSM north on 17 to Heyden
Exit onto the 556/Ranger Lake Road
Follow that for about 2 hours (110km or so) and it will end at the 129
Turn right, ride down to Thessalon, fuel up.
Turn around, ride the entire 129 up to Chapleau now that you're not worried about fuel!
Fuel up in Chapleau, have some lunch, ooh and aah at the scenery.
Ride south to the 101, take that Westbound to Wawa (pretty dull riding wise I apologise, but it's freshly paved and the scenery is nice so there's that.
Stop in Wawa, repeat steps for Chapleau.
Either ride south back to the Sault to rest up and do the Superior loop in reverse (start in Sault Michigan and come back around to Canada since this is a 12 hour day) or head north to continue the Superior loop!

Last edited:
This trip is in my list for 2016,Probably will upgrade my bike by than...thanks everyone for all the info provided..

ཨོ་མ་ནི་པདྨེ་ཧ྄ཱུཾ།།

PPlaning on doing this trip early July .

Rode up the north shore 2 summers ago on the way to Manitoba. Did the south shore a couple years ago when we played for a few days in the UP. Some nice vista from the trans canada but not much (any?) twisty stuff. There is some nice twisty stuff in the US. The run up to Copper Harbour is great as is the run to Grand Marais. Just north of L'Anse is the old Ford property where Henry started his own town - I think it was to secure a cheap supply of wood in the days when cars still had wood in them. Beer is definately cheaper on the south side. Consider a complete loop and take in both.

Back
Top Bottom