GPS Lap Timers | GTAMotorcycle.com

GPS Lap Timers

Starlane seems to be the most common. Works well and you can offload the data onto the computer after and view it overlayed on the track. It has an addon module for further data logging.

Moto-D just came out with one that has a much higher update rate (50Hz vs 10Hz of most systems). Otherwise it seems fairly similar in features to the Starlane.

If you are only a budget you can use a cheap android or iphone with an external GPS receiver but I find it finicky and not the most reliable.

I have Harry's lap timer and Race Chrono (free) and a GPS booster. They work great for a budget solution.

Aim Solo is also a very popular choice, the DL version will log all sorts of operational parameters including rpm, throttle position, gear position, coolant temp and so on from your ECU. Lots of analysis features in their software too.

We use 3 different laptimers in our various team bikes, the Harry laptimer, a very expensive beacon laptimer and the Starlane GPS. I would say I prefer the Starlane GPS, hardwired to the bike I have no worries about battery life, no issues with putting a beacon somewhere on track and gives you very accurate laptimes including sections. Harry will come in second with the disadvantage of having to deal with battery charging issues and the beacon 3rd because it uses AA batteries and you have to position the beacon properly.

So out of all 3, I take the Starlane. Haven't tested any other gps laptimers so I can not comment on the OP specific question.

I love Harry's Lap Timer! Buy some garbage or stolen android phone and install it on it and get a high accuracy GPS sensor like http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00E65TNYE/harslap0f-20

Insane insane accuracy, able to see your exact lines through corners, etc.

Using it in this video on a very broken iPod 4th gen:

[video=youtube;U0CQp_VCZMU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0CQp_VCZMU[/video]
Dude! Price:CDN$ 199.70 + CDN$ 119.00 shipping

Yeah, is there a less accurate, yet still functional, cheaper alternative?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My gps booster was like $90. It's not needed but it's much more accurate than just using the phone. And race chrono is a great app and it's free.

I've got the qztarz q6000. Small, easy to move from bike to bike, the software with it is great for reviewing lines and comparing laps.

I love Harry's Lap Timer! Buy some garbage or stolen android phone and install it on it and get a high accuracy GPS sensor...

Awesome. Publicly encouraging people to buy stolen goods.

I'm still using my old IR Mini-Lap with beacon. It works, but as ZX600 said you also need a beacon. Depending on the events you're riding at there might usually be a beacon already set up, but I bought one anyway just in case nobody else has one. I'd like a fancy GPS one to log corner speeds, but for "just a track day guy" like me, it seems like money can be better spent elsewhere, like beer. LOL

Last edited:
Awesome. Publicly encouraging people to buy stolen goods.

I'm still using my old IR Mini-Lap with beacon. It works, but as ZX600 said you also need a beacon. Depending on the events you're riding at there might usually be a beacon already set up, but I bought one anyway just in case nobody else has one. I'd like a fancy GPS one to log corner speeds, but for "just a track day guy" like me, it seems like money can be better spent elsewhere, like beer. LOL
You would be surprised how much you pussied around corner 4 at Mosport when you thought you were a hero once you see your corner speed lol.... well at least in my case :(

For trackdays,it's a total waste of money that would be better spent on tires imho.

...But how are you going to know you won the day if you don't have one, you need a base so you can lie and take 10 seconds off when posting on GTAM :)
For trackdays,it's a total waste of money that would be better spent on tires imho.

...But how are you going to know you won the day if you don't have one, you need a base so you can lie and take 10 seconds off when posting on GTAM :)
:lmao:

You would be surprised how much you pussied around corner 4 at Mosport when you thought you were a hero once you see your corner speed lol.... well at least in my case :(

I already know how much of a pussy I am through turn 4. LOL... Self preservation is too strong.

Getting off topic lol. Topic says GPS lap timer, anyway looks like it's between the Stalane or Aim solo. Still undecided

Back
Top Bottom