N64 help | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

N64 help

That's awesome man - have you watched "The BBS Documentary"? Any former sysop would definitely enjoy it:

BRE/SRE/TradeWars/GlobalWars turns...

Saw the documentary, yep. Good times.

I ran C-Net primarily, although at the very beginning I did dabble with some of the freebie BBS's programs out there...but C-Net was primo stuff and worth the investment. I actually came across my original manual for it a month or three back. When I upgraded to Amiga hardware I upgraded to C-Net Amiga as well.

Loved loved LOVED tradewars. Spent countless hours of my youth playing that game and I kicked ***...I started to get my owner userbase accusing me of cheating (being the SysOp and all) so I eventually started playing it on other BBS's instead...and kicked *** equally as well, so that quieted people. ;)

Anyone remember FidoNet? I was one of a handful of C64 BBS's that was part of it - I forget the exact details but some fellow in Michigan wrote custom code that about 4 or 5 local BBS's ran on our installs and every night it would "package" everything, call the Michigan BBS (after 11PM was cheaper, again, remember those days?) and upload all the outgoing PM's and forum posts and download all the new ones from the mothership. It was quite the process and was really neat stuff for it's time. Continued on for a while with Cnet Amiga, but then the internet started to squash things. When I eventually got tired of $200/month PSTN bills for what amounted to a hobby (and it was difficult to get anyone to contribute anything...even when you were a big player locally) I eventually started to whittle things down.

Somewhere I have all my system discs and such stored away, frozen in time. Doubt any of them are even readable anymore roughly 20 years later nor could I ever probably find the right combination of hardware to ever get it alive again, but I thought it would be fun someday to try.

Back
Top Bottom