Shared Wrenching Spaces for the Winter in Downtown Toronto? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shared Wrenching Spaces for the Winter in Downtown Toronto?

I've found perfectly suitable spaces in the gta for less than $1500/mo. For a few buddies looking to offset the cost of having garage space its probably worth it. How much are people willing to pay though? How do you handle security and whose tools are available?

I've found perfectly suitable spaces in the gta for less than $1500/mo. For a few buddies looking to offset the cost of having garage space its probably worth it. How much are people willing to pay though? How do you handle security and whose tools are available?

Well I doubt you will find many takers at $1500/mo, you would need at least 50 people to make it feasible financially. Unless someone knows they are going to be using a decent amount, 30 bucks a month X 12 months, (assuming your renting for a year lease) = $360 per person. Then of course people aren't going to want to pay $30 per month in the warmer weather when they can wrench outdoors. If each of the 50 people have enough wrenching to do to justify $30 per month then how do you ensure you have enough space, time availability to fit them in when they want it, (of course most are going to want "prime eveng and weekend slots"). Plus with your name on the lease are you prepared financially to carry the costs if people suddenly back out or stop paying monthly? Or would you insist that they pay for the year up front? Lastly, as you said there is the logisitics of tool storage and security for people's stuff, while it is in the unit.

So in other words, its an onion of a problem, lots of stinky layers to deal with. Best of luck to MotoRevere (seriously). There's definitely a demand if you can master the details. Have a plan to deal with the 10% (jerks/idiots) BEFORE you launch the space and evolve that plan over time. They will represent 90% of your problems.

It would be a situation where one person would have to take on the responsibility.
As I stated earlier it is ideal for a retired rider who would have the time to oversee it and run it on a cost plus basis.
Running it for profit would just cost too much.
You could also retail things like oil and filters.
Throw in winter storage and it could work, but this would require an alarm system (more cost).

Last edited:
Well I doubt you will find many takers at $1500/mo, you would need at least 50 people to make it feasible financially. Unless someone knows they are going to be using a decent amount, 30 bucks a month X 12 months, (assuming your renting for a year lease) = $360 per person. Then of course people aren't going to want to pay $30 per month in the warmer weather when they can wrench outdoors. If each of the 50 people have enough wrenching to do to justify $30 per month then how do you ensure you have enough space, time availability to fit them in when they want it, (of course most are going to want "prime eveng and weekend slots"). Plus with your name on the lease are you prepared financially to carry the costs if people suddenly back out or stop paying monthly? Or would you insist that they pay for the year up front? Lastly, as you said there is the logisitics of tool storage and security for people's stuff, while it is in the unit.

I said offset the cost, not cover it. My idea was to share the space with a few friends who are willing to pony up $300-400/mo to have a shop of our own.. Then bring in 5-10 other like-minded individuals on a per-use or monthly basis just to put some money back in our pockets.

Anyway, Im not doing it...

I think he meant retired as in not in the work force.... so someone who rides but has the time to babysit the shop

Thank you, that was what I meant.
Throw in a couple of lift tables as well. Tools have a bad habit of disappearing so each person would have to bring their own.

Last edited:
^^ $45 day pass is the type of deal what I was thinking of. I'd probably use it 8-10 times a year.

(In downtown Toronto, not East Bumblef*ck, ON.)

This idea intrigued me so I have done a little research.
For a warehouse to rent near downtown, alarm, hydro, insurance and a hose to clean your bike when you pick it up in the spring, in the neighbourhood of $50,000 per year.
This is for a space that could hold maybe 50 bikes, so you're looking at $1000 to keep your monster safe and warm from mid November to mid April.
If you want to go to Scarborough or Etobicoke, the cost would be lower and lower still if you go farther out.
The question is, do we have 50 riders who would pay $1000 for this service?

Last edited:
Just an update;

I was at Moto Revere today and there are up and running in a great space!

motorevere.com

There is also a BBQ & Swap Meet this Oct. 29th 2016

You work there or something? Just curious since this is your first post.

We offer winter storage at the shop if you have larger projects over the winter $200 a month.
Leave the bike in the shop and use it as much as you need we are only doing about a dozen spaces for it.

Can be booked for anywhere from 1 month or longer.

Square is pin striper in town who is going to be doing some demos and workshops at moto revere over the winter time for anyone interested is seeing how its done or giving it a try.

swap meet on saturday and a poker run on sunday if anyone is still out riding.

Back
Top Bottom