Shared Wrenching Spaces for the Winter in Downtown Toronto? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shared Wrenching Spaces for the Winter in Downtown Toronto?

Years ago I stored my bike at a race shop and they let me work on it. It was a shop where 3 guys kept their race cars and worked on them. It was in an industrial unit. I am certain you can find a situation like that but it will cost considerably more today.

I think it is more like the situation finds you if you are the right kind of person.

Also, in the mid 1990's recession so many industrial condos were sitting empty for so long the owners were advertising free rent. They didn't care what you did in them as long as you paid the overheads mentioned by hedo2002.

He doesn't mention the taxes and maintenance fees which will be built into the rent.

BTW the free rent deal didn't have a lease. If the owner found a paying tenant you were out on short notice. The landlord tenant act doesn't apply to commercial properties.

It is not downtown, but check out my-workshop.ca

I just rented a 10x20 workshop, and I'm super jazzed.

To expand on that, heated floors, electrical outlets and your own breaker panel, insulated garage door, 24/7 access, security on your unit.

^^That is where I rent a 10x5 storage unit. Didn't know they had units with AC outlets. That would explain all those guys working out of the larger units.

It's a lot of money though. I pay $80-something dollorz to rent my unit.

^^That is where I rent a 10x5 storage unit. Didn't know they had units with AC outlets. That would explain all those guys working out of the larger units.

It's a lot of money though. I pay $80-something dollorz to rent my unit.

$240 per month for 150 sq ft isn't that expensive considering it has heat and hydro. But that space would only permit one bike at a time, once you get tools and other stuff i the unit. I didn't see anything about a damage deposit, but I expect they would want one in the event you get fluids all over the floor. if I were to go this type of route I would be getting 3 - 4 tarps and putting them over the entire floor and about 18" up the walls all on top of each other for several layers of protection.

That's the thing - I wouldn't want to pay $240 on my own, and the space is too small for multiple bikes.

But the main issue is location. I suspect that most guys in my/our situation do not have a car. If you have to leave your bike there overnight because you effed up or are missing a part, you have to trek back home with Go Transit. I've done it once and it's miserable.

$240 per month for 150 sq ft isn't that expensive considering it has heat and hydro. But that space would only permit one bike at a time, once you get tools and other stuff i the unit. I didn't see anything about a damage deposit, but I expect they would want one in the event you get fluids all over the floor. if I were to go this type of route I would be getting 3 - 4 tarps and putting them over the entire floor and about 18" up the walls all on top of each other for several layers of protection.

I'm envisioning Dexter's kill room here.

The damage deposit on a workshop unit is $200 ($25 if it is only a storage unit). Unit comes with $1000 of insurance, and you can bump it up in $1000 steps for $3/month each step.

I agree, it sucks if you have to leave the bike behind. I already priced it out, and Uber is about $16-$20 or so to home by Square One. That's not so bad, and I do expect to be leaving a bike or two behind there as I work on them. Also conveniently, zipcar has a cargo van 500M from my home.

Used hydro is extra, charged to your account.

Can't wait to start filling my unit with tools and workbenches!

Someone on the forum used to rent out spaces in an industrial unit over the winter. I think he worked in the "front" of the unit and the back with the large bay door was used for some storage.

I had a spot once and it was great. There was maybe 2-3 other bikes in there.

It was alarmed and stuff. I got to do alot of work back on my old VF500 at the time.

I tried to do it again the next year but he stopped doing it (or didn't want me back. lol)

Anyways, why do you guys and gals wrench on your bikes?

FOUND ON C. LIST

Members wanted Motorcycle coop shop DIY (Toronto)
all

The Toronto Motorcycle Cooperative is looking for members and volunteers, this is an interactive DIY motorcycle workshop for rebuilders and restorations and modifications on all types of motorcycles and scooters, retired mechanics are also welcome to interact with their experience and knowledge, we are also looking for sponsors and donations. please text or call show 647-739-6324 Gabriel
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

hello,

I'm dealing with leasing right now but as of the spring/early summer there will be a motorcycle co op inside the city.

motorevere.com

Sounds like an opportunity for a retired rider.
Rent some heated space then charge riders for the use of it. So much per hour.
Open 6PM to midnight Mon. to Fri.
All day on weekends.
Sorry, not responsible for anything and bring your own tools.
Open November 15 to April 15 each year. The rest of the year gone riding.

This is a funny thread. I offered up space in my shop a few years ago. Got crickets. Space included lift table and use of specialized equipment (basically everything you can imagine including press,TIG,paint booth, fluid and tire disposal etc. ). Shop was heated,insured,zoned and alarmed. I even offered to help with transport in an enclosed trailer to and from for non-road worthy machines. I got exactly ZERO interest beyond a few thread posts so canned the whole idea. I figured it would have been well received being the only commitment was an hourly charge. I hope someone can make this fly but I am skeptical. My guess is it will never be more than a few buddies in a storage unit. lots of people talk but when it comes down to it dont act. (my experience).

This is a funny thread. I offered up space in my shop a few years ago. I hope someone can make this fly but I am skeptical.

This 2 month old thread on the world wide web has 36 posts, some half hearted others foolhardy, your skeptizizzim may be well placed.

Yes, but in everyone's defense I believe your shop was out past Bowmanville. Good concept but a lot of people living east of Scarborough will have their own garages. So although it was a great idea the location wasn't convenient for your target crowd.

Last edited:
Yes, but in everyone's defense I believe your shop was out east of Bowmanville. Great idea but a lot of people living east of Scarborough will have their own garages. So although it was a great idea the location wasn't convenient for your target crowd.

At the time it was in Bowmanville not east of. Granted not in Toronto but only 45 min drive from the core. Anyway dont really care I wasnt into doing it for the "cash" I was attempting to help. Likely just as well anyway. To get space suitable in the core would be hard and costly making an hourly rate quite expensive. Then someone either has to set it up or everyone involved has to bring their own equipment. I can say I have well over 100K in equipment, tools, diagnostic tools etc. Not to mention you would have a bike mechanic on site for assistance and ability to order parts below retail. Anyway its all for not now, good luck with the project I hope it gets put together

Back
Top Bottom