Shared Wrenching Spaces for the Winter in Downtown Toronto? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shared Wrenching Spaces for the Winter in Downtown Toronto?

wrrjoe

Hi Everyone,

Wrr owner here who lives in downtown Toronto and would love to work my bike over the winter instead of waiting til spring. Does anyone know of safe/secure spaces/garages where one can bring their bike and tools for the winter months to do some work on them? Or is there a rental space that people might be interested in sharing costs to do some work on their bikes?

Thanks Joe

When I had an industrial unit I floated this idea but it was a lead balloon. Industrial space in the boonies costs about a buck a square foot per month. You need to find about a dozen like minded people. Assume a minimum of 100 SF per bike that runs about $1200 a year per bike. Just like insurance you can't just have it for the part year.

Add to that the potential off abuse ie one space but a few buddies come by to tinker.

Add to that security, Dumb A's doing performance runs, stunting in the lot, liabilities, zoning etc

Renting a single car garage would be ideal if you can find one. Too many people are looking for a spot to park their prime cars while they run their winter beaters.

Let us know if you find any hidden gems.

Run it as a business. How many condo dwellers would love a small caged space for simple maintenance and secure storage. Hundreds of units in one warehouse complete with lounge, full time staff, coffee and m/c consumables possibly.

Thing that would worry me is not knowing who you share with and then show up one day and your bike is gone. Fwiw if I didn't have a place for my bike, I don’t think that the $1200/ year is all that unreasonable. I've seen condo parking go for more. Just my $0.02

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Thing that would worry me is not knowing who you share with and then show up one day and your bike is gone. Fwiw if I didn't have a place for my bike, I don’t think that the $1200/ year is all that unreasonable. I've seen condo parking go for more. Just my $0.02

The not knowing was one of the biggest factors. If I was going to do it with my unit my fear was that some would start using it as a lounge with buddies coming in, bikes being fixed in the driveway, hanging around, squid stuff etc. Too much contents advertising etc.

The only thing I would trust is a close group of friends that get along already. Private Club. Members Only. No Visitors. Fully Insured Bikes Only. No Booze.

Getting enough qualified members could be a problem as most industrial units are over 1200 square feet meaning at least a dozen members. I can't think of five people I would trust.

P.S. Your opinion is now worth $0.05, no more pennies.

Getting enough qualified members could be a problem as most industrial units are over 1200 square feet meaning at least a dozen members. I can't think of five people I would trust.

P.S. Your opinion is now worth $0.05, no more pennies.

There is a member on here who does his work in a storage unit. Says he's not the only one with a bike at that particular place as well. Could get one in the 100-200 sq ft range. Would be worth looking into. You would just have to figure out which places would be ok with it/ look the other way.

This ^^ was worth at least $0.25 ?

There is a member on here who does his work in a storage unit. Says he's not the only one with a bike at that particular place as well. Could get one in the 100-200 sq ft range. Would be worth looking into. You would just have to figure out which places would be ok with it/ look the other way.

This ^^ was worth at least $0.25 ��

without heat, storage units dont work well in the winter. this idea of shared space is great, but it would really require trusted friends. a friend with a home and a ground level entrance into the basement would be sooo nice.

without heat, storage units dont work well in the winter. this idea of shared space is great, but it would really require trusted friends. a friend with a home and a ground level entrance into the basement would be sooo nice.
Do they have heated storage units?

This ^^ was worth at least $0.25 ��

A storage unit will be zoned differently than a workshop. It may not have the same fire protection etc. The owner of the storage spot that allows wrenching could his insurance voided in the event of a fire claim.

Individuals tend to not want to spend any money on extra fire protection, extinguishers etc. Add to that greasy rags, solvents, jury rigged heating and often poor access and it could get ugly.

A storage unit will be zoned differently than a workshop. It may not have the same fire protection etc. The owner of the storage spot that allows wrenching could his insurance voided in the event of a fire claim.

Individuals tend to not want to spend any money on extra fire protection, extinguishers etc. Add to that greasy rags, solvents, jury rigged heating and often poor access and it could get ugly.

Well I'm yet to have anything resembling a fire in a garage after 20 years of working out of one with PLENTY of solvents and make shift heating (currently use a kerosene heater). Wrenching on a bike very rarely makes sparks of any sort and most definitely does not have an open flame. Cutting a chain is the only time I've ever had concern and you're done in less then 10s. Pretty hard to create a big fire but I'm sure someone could manage. Think of all the people that wrench in their living rooms. I store my gas tanks in my basement (empty of course and all vents taped up so they don't smell and not in the furnace room)

I read the first post as a disguised business feeler not an arsonist commune cattle call. I'll read it again later.

Well I'm yet to have anything resembling a fire in a garage after 20 years of working out of one with PLENTY of solvents and make shift heating (currently use a kerosene heater). Wrenching on a bike very rarely makes sparks of any sort and most definitely does not have an open flame. Cutting a chain is the only time I've ever had concern and you're done in less then 10s. Pretty hard to create a big fire but I'm sure someone could manage. Think of all the people that wrench in their living rooms. I store my gas tanks in my basement (empty of course and all vents taped up so they don't smell and not in the furnace room)

A property owner working on his own stuff wouldn't likely be a problem but if it becomes a commercial venture one has to, in one way or another, state what is expected to be covered. You pay for and get that coverage. It's not unlike the threads where people want to rent a bike for a day or two.

One company won't insure my house because I have an office in it. No one comes here and I don't do any work other than writing cheques and invoices. Underwriters are paranoid.

Years ago I stored my bike at a race shop and they let me work on it. It was a shop where 3 guys kept their race cars and worked on them. It was in an industrial unit. I am certain you can find a situation like that but it will cost considerably more today.

I'd be interested. Have quite a few items to replace this winter, bearings and valve seals to begin with, and I can't really do those from my 1/5 of an underground parking spot.

One company won't insure my house because I have an office in it. No one comes here and I don't do any work other than writing cheques and invoices. Underwriters are paranoid.

Interesting - that happened to me with a former insurance company. Never understood the concern as it's just me, and like you, no clients ever come here.

Even "industrial" units have requirements.

My business operates in what would be described as an industrial condo unit. Many of the units are used primarily by Persian rug guys. They have small units ranging from 600 - 1000+ sq ft. I cure=rently pay just over $825 per month for 750 sq ft. BUT then I also have to pay hydro, about $150 per month and gas, (The lease says I HAVE to keep temperature at a minimum of 65 durign winter months, to avoid frozen pipes). Enbridge charges "commercial accounts" a $70 per month customer charge. My gas bill, (I keep shop at 65 over night and 68 - 70 during the day when I am here), ranges from about $90 with various charges and taxes in summer when NO heat is on to about $250 durung the cold winter we had last year.

Property manager is by sometimes during the day and an employeee lives in house next to complex so constant eyes on property.

All this is way up by the 407 I couldn't imagine tryng to find a similar spot downtown,

Thanks everyone. I'll keep looking for both a space and a solution that doesn't break the bank. Will keep you posted.

Best thing to do is to start a motorcycle club. Establish clubhouse with garage and accessible basement and park bikes there. Create patch to identify members. In the spring, roar through town wearing patches in celebration. Clubhouse would be great for occasional wild parties too. What could go wrong?

It is not downtown, but check out my-workshop.ca

I just rented a 10x20 workshop, and I'm super jazzed.

Back
Top Bottom