The people who put the bike away already. | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The people who put the bike away already.

For me I found so many flakes going in to share a storage unit. It would've worked out to stupid cheap for the season, but all I found were broke motorcyclist with a dream.

I think it would have to be a friends situation, or perhaps a few reputable forum members here type scenario. I could see how just putting an ad up on Kijiji or something would yield iffy results..and I really wouldn't want anyone I don't trust to have a key to where my bike is stored, either. But at $90/month that GP bikes is quoting I think you can rent a small unit that would fit a bike all to yourself with some money left over, no? I don't know, it's been a long time since I've looked at rates.

In the end if I went the storage unit route I'd probably quietly slip it in one evening after dark when nobody is there, lock the door, and be very picky when I open it...AKA, don't advertise there's a bike in there. Not that most storage places aren't reasonably secure, but you know how it goes - out of sight, out of mind.

I'm lucky to have a nice well secured garage myself, but I know lots of people in the city aren't so equipped.

I'm lucky to have a nice well secured garage myself, but I know lots of people in the city aren't so equipped.

Probably thousands. I'm surprised nobody's found a way to make a year round business out of that.

Probably thousands. I'm surprised nobody's found a way to make a year round business out of that.

The ideal situation, for those that do not have their own storage space, would be storage and then a shop area where you could schedule time and rent a workslot by the day or half day to work on your bike. Shop area would have proper lifts, compressed air, oil disposal, maybe tool and specialty tool rental, tire changers etc. Your bike would be pulled from storage and delivered to the workspace for your scheduled time slot and then returned to storage for balance of winter. You'd think in the GTA where we have 6+ million people and thousands of potential clients that something like this would exist. Maybe it does and I just have not heard about it. The rental shop area would run all year long, not just over the winter season.

Availability aside, I think there is real resistance by riders in general to pay market prices for services. What would people pay per month to store a bike, $75 - $90 a month. What should a shop area rent for by the half day (4h) $100 or $125.

Last edited:
There used to be dozens of these rental garages in Toronto back in the 80's but they disappeared. Maybe it was the insurance that killed them, maybe it was the legal costs resulting from lawsuits; I don't know. When I was younger, I lived in an apartment and used these rental garages to go to fix my car. I could rent the space and the specialized tools. It was really convenient.

The ideal situation, for those that do not have their own storage space, would be storage and then a shop area where you could schedule time and rent a workslot by the day or half day to work on your bike. Shop area would have proper lifts, compressed air, oil disposal, maybe tool and specialty tool rental, tire changers etc. Your bike would be pulled from storage and delivered to the workspace for your scheduled time slot and then returned to storage for balance of winter. You'd think in the GTA where we have 6+ million people and thousands of potential clients that something like this would exist. Maybe it does and I just have not heard about it. The rental shop area would run all year long, not just over the winter season.

Availability aside, I think there is real resistance by riders in general to pay market prices for services. What would people pay per month to store a bike, $75 - $90 a month. What should a shop area rent for by the half day (4h) $100 or $125.

Insurance.

Ask your local shop about rental, they will tell you why they can't. The rent a bay business went out because of this. It was popular in early 2000

There used to be dozens of these rental garages in Toronto back in the 80's but they disappeared. Maybe it was the insurance that killed them, maybe it was the legal costs resulting from lawsuits; I don't know. When I was younger, I lived in an apartment and used these rental garages to go to fix my car. I could rent the space and the specialized tools. It was really convenient.

Yup. Insurance.

I was busy pulling the leaf cover off of my pool today. Everything is still pretty much together, so I could ride, using that expensive premium gas, that I've filled the tank with. I might try and get a ride in later on, but I found that a bolt near the gas tank, has been overtightened and stripped the last time it was in the shop, meaning I need to take it apart in an unconventional way to get the gas tank off and get at the bolt. I was trying to check my air filter. I'm thinking that I'd rather get it done now while it's still a little warm, than be messing around with it in the Spring when I want to be out riding again.

I was out yesterday with the wife. My bike broke down in the middle of the Santa Clause Parade

I rode to work today. Nice ride but hands a bit cold. Saw some kind of little Kawi dirt bike thing on Eglinton near Renforth. Didn't look like anything street legal I've seen but it had a plate on it.

Insurance.

Ask your local shop about rental, they will tell you why they can't. The rent a bay business went out because of this. It was popular in early 2000

Well, my-workspace.ca didn't get that memo, as they're trying rental workshops again. Each workshop garage comes with $1000 in coverage, and you can bump it up at $3 for $1000 coverage chunks.

Note, they don't cover vehicles, as they should have their own insurance.

Rode to work today as well, left just as the sun was coming over the horizon. Short commute (only about 8 or 9 K) but it wasn't unpleasant at all despite only being 3 degrees. Yay for big front fairings. ;)

Well, my-workspace.ca didn't get that memo, as they're trying rental workshops again. Each workshop garage comes with $1000 in coverage, and you can bump it up at $3 for $1000 coverage chunks.

Note, they don't cover vehicles, as they should have their own insurance.

What? good luck having insurance claim.

What $1000 coverage gonna do? We're talking about liability here.

Ofcourse there is always some moron want to make some bucks until **** hits the fan.

Ofcourse there is always some moron want to make some bucks until **** hits the fan.

If only liability waivers actually meant anything anymore. I'm sure they have one that you basically sign your life away before you rent a bay, but I'm also sure that some court somewhere will effectively nullify it when some idiot squashes himself under his car and (of course) decides to sue the shop because, of course, it's going to be all their fault.

What? good luck having insurance claim.

Are you saying your home insurance covers your vehicles in the garage? I don't think mine is and I don't think there's an option to add it.

Are you saying your home insurance covers your vehicles in the garage? I don't think mine is and I don't think there's an option to add it.
Pretty sure it does.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Pretty sure it does.

Sent from my boring phone using Tapatalk

You should check.

A quick google search leans towards no; home insurance might cover the contents of your vehicle parked in your garage, but not the vehicle itself.

The reason lean towards believing that vehicles are not covered is because with home insurance, you often have limits on the value of items that can be covered, like bicycles. If you get a bicycle over the value of, say, $2000, you have to purchase an extra "schedule" to cover its value. I've never heard of such a thing for vehicles on home insurance, and there certainly has to be a limit of the value home insurance would cover for a parked vehicle, if indeed home insurance would cover a parked vehicle.

@sadrik I hate being wrong. Last time iirc was May 29, 1999. ?
I did confuse vehicle with contents. My bad.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom