The people who put the bike away already. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The people who put the bike away already.

DL650's are cheap and make for nice winter beaters. Heidenau K60 Sport M+S help improve your mortality margin.

gen5 VFR800's too, really. Throw on a set of TKC80's and go nuts. My old VFR800 survived 175000km over 5 years, including 5 glorious winters accounting for about 16000km with no preservation effort (like suggestions of spraying down with wd40, sealing of electrical contacts, or crazy stuff like washing off the salt) and summer tires throughout. TKC80 M+S's really take the game to a new level.

This is going to be the best winter ever.
Can anyone else confirm that TKC80's work really well in colder temperatures? Not that I don't believe you Sadrik, would just be nice to hear from others as well. I don't winterize my bike and ride when I can, salt and all.

Rode to work Monday. Skipped Tuesday because of rain. Wed could be the last good day. Rain the rest of the week. Damn rain. I think winter will arrive next week, but if I put the thing away we'll have a week of record warm temps again. My luck sucks.

Monday and Tuesday 12 and 13 degrees respectively. I'll be riding to work.

Can anyone else confirm that TKC80's work really well in colder temperatures? Not that I don't believe you Sadrik, would just be nice to hear from others as well. I don't winterize my bike and ride when I can, salt and all.

Hrmph!

I've had the TKC80's down to about -16c and they worked well.

I've had the Heidenau K60 Sport M+S' down to about -24c, and they work well down to about -18c before they get pretty hard. Emergency braking at -24c is entertaining; you'll come to a stop, but there'll be a couple black chalk lines left behind.

In any case, if you don't put your bike away for winter, there's no big downside to throwing a set of TKC80's on your sport bike. They grip better in cold temperatures than your summer sport tires, they have enough texture to bite through the occasional snow drift or slush you come across, and raise your chances of making it through a winter of casual riding without suffering a scratched fairing.

Note that the TKC80's are bias-ply, meaning they're more comfortable to ride on but at high speed (think 140km/h+), they deform more with centripetal force. If you have huggers, I'd take 'em off. TKC70's are interesting, not as aggressive a tread, but radial-ply and also M+S rated. Unfortunately, TKC70's don't come in a 180/55 R17, closest you'll get is the 170/60 R17.

Hrmph!

I've had the TKC80's down to about -16c and they worked well.

I've had the Heidenau K60 Sport M+S' down to about -24c, and they work well down to about -18c before they get pretty hard. Emergency braking at -24c is entertaining; you'll come to a stop, but there'll be a couple black chalk lines left behind.

In any case, if you don't put your bike away for winter, there's no big downside to throwing a set of TKC80's on your sport bike. They grip better in cold temperatures than your summer sport tires, they have enough texture to bite through the occasional snow drift or slush you come across, and raise your chances of making it through a winter of casual riding without suffering a scratched fairing.

Note that the TKC80's are bias-ply, meaning they're more comfortable to ride on but at high speed (think 140km/h+), they deform more with centripetal force. If you have huggers, I'd take 'em off. TKC70's are interesting, not as aggressive a tread, but radial-ply and also M+S rated. Unfortunately, TKC70's don't come in a 180/55 R17, closest you'll get is the 170/60 R17.

I already have them on my bike and I have ridden in -18 but with different tires so this year I should notice a big improvement on grip. I am not too worried about a scratched fairing, my bike lacks in the cosmetic department which is Alon's fault really.

To pay $300 for storage, or to pay $300 for a set of TKC80s...

Or read a different way, to not ride or to ride.

Monday and Tuesday hopefully I will be riding to work.
A few years back. I did last minute Christmas shopping on the bike on Dec 23rd. It was great. Traffic jams were not an issue.

All of next week looks good, at least in Toronto proper. Yesss!

I saw GP Bikes was advertising storage "starting at $3/day".

Honestly...for that kind of money, for someone without a place to store their bike....couldn't you just rent a freakin storage unit somewhere and have it all to yourself? Or even split it with a friend and store 2 or 3 bikes in it?

Some even have electrical plugs in the units where you could plug in a tender.

Last edited:
Or park it outside for free.
Don't have a paved driveway and it's really for my piece of mind more than anything.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Good morning. I also will ride until its snowing. I live in thornhill and looking for riders...steve 416-994-9020. ..

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Without heated grips or winter riding gear I will ride if it's 10 degrees. Yes I'm a delicate flower but I've come to accept that about myself. So today is a no go but tomorrow is a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without heated grips or winter riding gear I will ride if it's 10 degrees. Yes I'm a delicate flower but I've come to accept that about myself. So today is a no go but tomorrow is a go.

Without heated grips/gear, I'd say you're a fairly rugged flower at 10 degrees.

Having proper riding gear is a must. Riding without good warm gear sucks.

Starting to regret getting the Airglide 4 instead of something sturdier that will turn into mesh rather than a mesh jacket with a wind liner and warm liner

Starting to regret getting the Airglide 4 instead of something sturdier that will turn into mesh rather than a mesh jacket with a wind liner and warm liner

Surprising. I wore an AG3 for a number of years, was never cold, even down to two or three degrees.

Surprising. I wore an AG3 for a number of years, was never cold, even down to two or three degrees.

I'm uncomfortable at around 4* when I'm doing anything faster than about 80.

If the expedition wasn't so damn expensive I would've bought it then and there

For me I found so many flakes going in to share a storage unit. It would've worked out to stupid cheap for the season, but all I found were broke motorcyclist with a dream.

I saw GP Bikes was advertising storage "starting at $3/day".

Honestly...for that kind of money, for someone without a place to store their bike....couldn't you just rent a freakin storage unit somewhere and have it all to yourself? Or even split it with a friend and store 2 or 3 bikes in it?

Some even have electrical plugs in the units where you could plug in a tender.

Back
Top Bottom