The people who put the bike away already. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The people who put the bike away already.

Brine had already been sprayed up here 3 weeks ago. Meh. Even though I live in a snow belt and don't have a garage, I ride whenever I can. Beyond making sure that the tank is always full, I don't winterize the bike at all. But after getting a new battery last spring, I might actually hook it up to a trickle charger this year.

I totally agree.
Bike stays active until there is a snowfall bad enough to warrant salt.
I can't tell you the number of times in November and early December I've woken up to snow on the ground.
By noon its gone and by 2:30 its plus 10.

Last year I vowed to get a winter beater. I haven't had the heart to use the money I have set aside on a POS.

I can't tell you the number of times in November and early December I've woken up to snow on the ground.
By noon its gone and by 2:30 its plus 10.

It's just an informal discussion, ballpark figure will do.

Had a fantastic week riding to work. Best part of the whole day. I'm hoping for more this week. It just has to stay above freezing. Probably going to pack it in next weekend though as the average morning temps will drop below 0c. We shall see.

Exactly what I am thinking. I may get one more week riding to work.

I agree, even though there may be some riding time left. I will put the bike away as soon as the brine hits the road. That stuff is nasty.

It's only an issue when it's still wet (after having been laid down) or gets wet again...AKA snow or rain. When it's dry it's pretty much in a dormant state on the asphalt.

Salt dust, on the other hand....

yes, but many times, when I leave early in the morning, the dew makes it wet.

yes, but many times, when I leave early in the morning, the dew makes it wet.

Good point, yes, that's an issue for sure then.

As long as there is no snow or salt etc...I'm riding...today was sunny and crisp and squeezed in 200 clicks in the saddle!

Dropped to -3 on the way home. That wasn't fun...

Supposed to rain and snow most of the week. Rain and 6-0C? No thanks. My bike's still not quite "stored" (as in I haven't removed the battery yet) but I don't foresee much riding this week. Hopefully next week is a bit nicer.

Not looking forward to swapping the Busa for the Husqvarna (snowblower), but I'm hoping it isn't until December, unlike last year, which sucked.

Wasn't gonna take the FJ to work today because of the afternoon rain. Took one step outside and immediately circled back to the garage.

tumblr_mbhkbxr0zl1qdb4cxo1_r1_500.gif

Rode yesterday lunchtime to renew plates for cars and bike. Had to replace plate on wife's car and new ones start BYKR. Those should have been mine dammit !

Rode to work Monday. Skipped Tuesday because of rain. Wed could be the last good day. Rain the rest of the week. Damn rain. I think winter will arrive next week, but if I put the thing away we'll have a week of record warm temps again. My luck sucks.

Last year I vowed to get a winter beater. I haven't had the heart to use the money I have set aside on a POS.

DL650's are cheap and make for nice winter beaters. Heidenau K60 Sport M+S help improve your mortality margin.

gen5 VFR800's too, really. Throw on a set of TKC80's and go nuts. My old VFR800 survived 175000km over 5 years, including 5 glorious winters accounting for about 16000km with no preservation effort (like suggestions of spraying down with wd40, sealing of electrical contacts, or crazy stuff like washing off the salt) and summer tires throughout. TKC80 M+S's really take the game to a new level.

This is going to be the best winter ever.

Back
Top Bottom