Bike died randomly | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike died randomly

Aznkid2000

This week i got a new bike 2009 SFV650 and was riding home when my bike died at a stop... Happened twice (today & yesterday) at the same street.

I tried starting it back up but it wouldn't. Checked kill switch, kick stand, etc. So after many tries turning bike on and off, the lights on the display didn't come back on.

I went to autosource to get battery checked out and results

Voltage:13.26V
Measured: 204 CCA
Rated: YTA-bs
Temp: 64F

Replace Battery.

Is this the problem? I wouldn't think the bike would die at a stop even with a bad battery?

EDIT: Also its a lithium battery if that matters

Last edited:
I don't know if it's true on bikes but on cars (okay talking about Porsche 911GT3RS) the car's cumputer needs to know that the car is running a lithium battery as the voltage is different than a conventional lead-acid battery.

If if that isn't an issue I would double check all the connections to the battery.. Lose connections can cause that kind of issue.

..Tom

Last edited:
At 13+v and 204 cranking amps registered on the test and it still suggests replacing the battery? I call bunk - chances are their testing equipment was configured wrong - if they don't punch in the right details (and their machine may not even have the right settings for testing Li batteries) it will make wrong suggestions.

Sounds to me like a grounding issue, honestly. When it wouldn't start were the lights dimmer than usual, did it make ANY attempt to roll over the engine (if even at reduced speed?), or everything seemed normal but it just wouldn't engage the starter?

Bad electrical contact somewhere in the ignition circuit. Could be grounds as suggested. Could also be the ignition switch or the kill switch as well. Without going through a debug process, you could try the shotgun approach -- go through the bike's electrics and clean every connector's contacts with Deoxit (available at electronics stores like Sayal). If you want to be more systematic, isolate the problem to one of the possibly failing components suggested and rectify.

If if that isn't an issue I would double check all the connections to the battery.. Lose connections can cause that kind of issue. ..Tom

It's rare, but not impossible, that a battery dies in the manner you've described. Clean the connections to the battery and the battery connectors as well to eliminate this as an issue.

You'll need the electrical schematic of the bike, a multimeter and how to use it. Go through each and every electrical wire, connection, switch, fuse to see if electricity will electrically flow. This is a new-to-you bike, so doing this will ensure future reliability. Coat all connections with dielectric grease to keep the weather out. A 6 yo bike should not be too hard to trouble shoot. If you don't know how to use a multimeter, learn from YouTube, and should take you all of 2 minutes.

Check the stator and RR. When you rev the bile over 3k rpm does the battery get to 14.5-15v? If it does not the bike is not charging the battery.

Check fuses and connections. Jump start your bike to a car, car off. Does the bike easily start? There is a lot to check before blaming the battery. All this stuff is really, really easy to do by almost anyone.

What is the idle set at?

I think he's got a crook clutch switch. The guy he bought it from switched to shorty levers and I bet it's not closing the clutch switch. I pm'ed him about it.
It's exactly the way the Vstrom reacts, dies at lights, starting issues, then will run fine for and hour, decelerated adn drop a gear and it dies.

Back
Top Bottom