Anyone had a trip to Canadian Rockies? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone had a trip to Canadian Rockies?

Had anyone been to the Canadian Rockies? I have planned one next year to the Algonquin Provincial Park with my friends. Hearing a lot about the Rockies, but couldn’t find time to explore one. We have booked a cabin at the adventure lodge inside the Algonquin Park, named Killarney Lodge. We were amazed by the pics of the lodge and it’s surroundings and really excited to go. The package includes many recreational activities including biking, hiking, fishing, canoeing etc. Wish it could be one of the best trips that we had so far. Share your Canadian adventure experiences.

Kid and I did it last June. We flew the bikes out to Vancouver and spent 3 weeks and rode them home.

Screen%252520Shot%2525202015-06-13%252520at%252520Jun%25252C%25252013%252520%252520%252520%2525202015%252520%252520%252520%2525208.48.42%252520PM.jpg

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ommended-roads-routes/page2&highlight=rockies

I lived in Alberta for eight years. I'm not a huge fan of the province but I never got sick of the mountains. I've driven from Calgary to Vancouver many times. Always it was a great experience. Rugged beauty at every turn. I'd definitely do it on a bike if I had the chance.

I retired in May of 2013, so I went riding in June of that year.
West through the states to Seattle, then the ferry to Vancouver Island.
Back home through Canada.

2008, took the whole fam damily, hooked up our 30' 5th wheel and pointed things west. 36 days and 10,000+ Kilometers later we returned home with many adventures under our belt. The Rockies were awesome, one of the highlights of the trip for sure - would love to do it on the bike some day but not sure my wife would be up for the ~3500 kinda boring Kilometers (honestly, there is interesting stuff here and there, but the prairies are, well...ho hum) to get there. Perhaps go out some day and rent a bike or something.

We west across Canada all the way, from Vancouver went south to Seattle and back across the USA with stops in Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, all the usual.

Very fond memories of that trip. Here's us approaching the foothills.

DSCF0510

Last edited:
fly the bike and wife out there.

My wife has a rule about airplanes - they need to land somewhere warmer than where they took off from, and they need to have a bathroom. The little bugsmashers I fly do neither, much less have room for the bike as well. :)

I'd love to ride out of province, load bike on a train in say Winterpeg and unload in Calgary, ride to Vancouverish... I'll bet the train thing is outrageously expensive though.

ive done the rockies twice ( 2 round trips). did the jasper route, the trans canada coqahaulla (bad spelling?) route. the most memorable route was the crows nest pass hwy- incredible ride with a maximum of curves and tight switchbacks that have you slowing to 20km/hr on many tight twisty sections. a word of warning, if the hwy signs say 20, 30, or 40 km/hr corner, they really mean that speed. dont get too caught up scratching through the curves, ...first trip i did on a RG500, the second on a gold wing.

yes, dont miss the crows nest pass!

My wife has a rule about airplanes - they need to land somewhere warmer than where they took off from, and they need to have a bathroom.

BC is generally warmer than Ontario - they do call it Summerland for a reason ;)
Air Canada has not yet been charging extra for use of the bathroom on the Toronto to Vancouver route.
$650 your bike leaves TO and lands ready to ride in Vancouver.

Work on it :D

I lived in Alberta for eight years. I'm not a huge fan of the province but I never got sick of the mountains. I've driven from Calgary to Vancouver many times. Always it was a great experience. Rugged beauty at every turn. I'd definitely do it on a bike if I had the chance.

I would also love to do a ride through in a bike, hopefully!

2008, took the whole fam damily, hooked up our 30' 5th wheel and pointed things west. 36 days and 10,000+ Kilometers later we returned home with many adventures under our belt. The Rockies were awesome, one of the highlights of the trip for sure - would love to do it on the bike some day but not sure my wife would be up for the ~3500 kinda boring Kilometers (honestly, there is interesting stuff here and there, but the prairies are, well...ho hum) to get there. Perhaps go out some day and rent a bike or something.

We west across Canada all the way, from Vancouver went south to Seattle and back across the USA with stops in Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, all the usual.

Very fond memories of that trip. Here's us approaching the foothills.

DSCF0510

I hope you had a great time with family!

BC is generally warmer than Ontario - they do call it Summerland for a reason ;)
Air Canada has not yet been charging extra for use of the bathroom on the Toronto to Vancouver route.
$650 your bike leaves TO and lands ready to ride in Vancouver.

Work on it :D

Definitely on my list of things I want to do for the future. Contemplating heading out to the east coast and doing the Cabot trail next summer for the "big" trip. We had our 5th wheel out to the east coast many times (Claim to fame...camped within sight of the Statue of Liberty in NYC!), but although we did NB, PEI, ME, NY, NH, CT, RI etc etc... never did get out to Nova Scotia or Cape Breton Island - or Newfoundland...the ferries were too expensive when you're 50' long and overheight.

Each of us have 4 weeks of vacation next summer, so it might be a nice leisurely trip done over a 2 week period or something.

I hauled my bike out to the Rockies this summer, rode it from Letherbridge, AB to Fernie BC through to Jasper AB. Mountains were amazing,

Hi, sorry late to the game but I live in Cochrane Ab. now in view of the mountains, 1 hour ride to Banff. Let me know if you are coming out and I can arrange a tour if my bike is back together.
Cheers.

Back in the early '90's rode out there from St. Catharines, ON with a buddy - me on my BMW K75C and he on his Suzuki Gs1000. Camped the whole way there and back, including some great overflow campsites, hot springs, and glacier tours in the Rockies. There and back in 11 days. Can you say monkey butt?!

Last edited:
I've ridden through the Rockies a handful of times. They're awesome, and terribly distracting. I found I had to abandon any hint of a schedule I had, and just accept that I'd be stopping after every curve to take in the view and take pictures.

Stayed in campgrounds a couple of times. Wonderful air to wait up to.

Quite a big difference between Algonquin Park and the Rockies. When is the booking for? The bugs can be terrifying at times.

Back
Top Bottom