Clearly.ca Rx Sunglasses | GTAMotorcycle.com

Clearly.ca Rx Sunglasses

Maxdar

Site Supporter
Just ordered the Ryders Cypress with a pretty strong Rx & Transition. ~$250 Will review once I receive, glasses and company.

http://www.clearly.ca/ryders-cypress-r844-001-black?rsView=1&ga=F|M|K

View attachment 37660
Found a few positive online reviews, nothing crazy negative. No foam eye padding, but maybe I can find after. Can't find anything local other than Adidas or Oakley.

Safety frames with inserts are another option. Might order from Amazon for $50-60 if I can find a shop that will do the Rx inserts for me.

ROCKBROS Bike Polarized Cycling Glasses Sports Glasses Sunglasses Goggles CS010

4.5 out of 5 stars (102)
CDN$ 33.99
View attachment 37661

Tried my polarized sunglasses with a clear visor a couple days ago...
Absolutely despised it. The amount of "oil on water rings/stains" drove me bonkers. Each time I looked at my dash there were polarized distortions, if my visor got the smallest amount of fog it distorted immediately.

If I ever try riding with sunglasses and a clear visor again it will definitely be non-polarized, for short periods only.

Just ordered the Ryders Cypress with a pretty strong Rx & Transition. ~$250 Will review once I receive, glasses and company.

http://www.clearly.ca/ryders-cypress-r844-001-black?rsView=1&ga=F|M|K

View attachment 37660
Found a few positive online reviews, nothing crazy negative. No foam eye padding, but maybe I can find after. Can't find anything local other than Adidas or Oakley.

Safety frames with inserts are another option. Might order from Amazon for $50-60 if I can find a shop that will do the Rx inserts for me.

ROCKBROS Bike Polarized Cycling Glasses Sports Glasses Sunglasses Goggles CS010

4.5 out of 5 stars (102)
CDN$ 33.99
View attachment 37661

OP, I also have a strong RX and love my prescription polarized sunglasses. I had ordered from Clearly before, no issues. If anything, you can always pop in their store on Queen Street.

I got my RX sunglasses done like a regular pair of glasses. I didn't like the oakley-ish frames because their don't fit me well, and they fit bulky with the helmet on. The fit maybe different for you. I would make sure the nose piece fit snug so that if you have a full face helmet on, the sunglasses stay where it is supposed to be. I ended up picking the lightest plastic frame available, and got polarized lens to fit. For the long touring rides, they sure are way more comfortable than contacts when wearing a full face helmet. You can flip up your visor to catch some fresh air without worrying your contacts drying up.

Enjoy your new RX sunglasses!

What do you guys consider a strong rx?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Tried my polarized sunglasses with a clear visor a couple days ago...
Absolutely despised it. The amount of "oil on water rings/stains" drove me bonkers. Each time I looked at my dash there were polarized distortions, if my visor got the smallest amount of fog it distorted immediately.

If I ever try riding with sunglasses and a clear visor again it will definitely be non-polarized, for short periods only.

Hmm, I should try that myself with a borrowed pair before buying. Still will have a use as I use a half helmet more in the summer.

Thanks for the tip.

-6ish for me

i'm in between -7 & -8. Basically without glasses, everything is blurry, but I can make out shapes.

btw, i like polarized lens. I felt my eyes get less tired from the normal glares... maybe it's just me.

i'm in between -7 & -8. Basically without glasses, everything is blurry, but I can make out shapes.

btw, i like polarized lens. I felt my eyes get less tired from the normal glares... maybe it's just me.
Yeah iirc that's my range. The only thing is that I have astigmatism. Not sure if that makes a difference, but when I was looking for sunglasses I was forced to stick with flat styles. Not at all like the ones pictured earlier.

Update:

Clearly.ca could not put my prescription into the Ryders frames. The lab rejected. Unfortunately I counted on the price point and used up benefits buying contacts, so my options are now limited further. My bad really.

I asked a local shop if they would fill the script for inserts if I bought the frames online(amazon.ca), they said they would for somewhere between $1-200 depending on the lens options.

Spoke to Rob @Imperialsunwear. He is the Canadian distributor for 7-eye. He said the deal could be done all over phone/email and it would be $4-500 in the end. Still, he confirmed that wrap-around is just not possible with a -6.00. 7-eye has a "flattening" trick for high scripts, but he did not sound overly enthusiastic about the ones he a has done in the past.

Looking to see if Clearly.ca can use my prescription in the Leader Sport Safety Glasses. Not really the style I started looking for, but safety first.

Love my polarized lenses for most driving situations, particularly while riding with my half-shell helmet, and driving my work truck all day.

With my full face I get the rainbow effect when the visor is down, however, so I usually switch to my regular transitions lenses instead. This is usually an indicator that the visor itself has some minor polarization as well, and double polarization is bad.

As for LCD distortion, it sucks, but it's a trade off I gladly make for the positives of the polarized lenses.

@Maxdar I had the same problem. Something about curvature of the lens. Those of us with a high rx are forced to get a flatter frame/ lens style. I finally said eff it and just bought easy clip frames.

Ohhh that explains a lot! I didn't put the polarized thing together. I've always owned polarized sun glasses. I guess I'll try something else eh.

Ok, leader safe glasses came in and they look ridiculous. Put them right back in the box and shipped back. To Clearly.ca's credit they did not blink at accepting the return for a full refund and they paid shipping both ways. I will definitely use them again.

So I called FramesDirect.com, a US company. They took my order, charged $22 shipping. Total came to $214 USD with the Black Friday 40% discount.($49) There will be 8% duty & currency exchange. It should be about 2 weeks to deliver, I'm not in a rush.

I got the Wiley X with 3 shaded lens, smoke,clear and rust. Prescription is filled in an insert. So not transition, but I can swap lenses and use as regular sunglasses with contacts too. In the end this is a more flexible solution.

Wiley X PT-1 (APEL Approved)
wileyx-pt1-mtblk-smokeclr.jpg
Color:Matte Black (includes non-rx smoke,clear,light rust)

Bonus: According to Youtube US military testing I can fire a shotgun into my eyes!!!

@Maxdar please post here (& @ me when you do) once you receive those. Even with the exchange, that's a heck of a lot cheaper than the similar Adidas ones that I was looking at. With an Rx of -8.25, those will definitely fit the bill.
And don't try the shotgun thing.

Will Do Joe

@Maxdar please post here (& @ me when you do) once you receive those. Even with the exchange, that's a heck of a lot cheaper than the similar Adidas ones that I was looking at. With an Rx of -8.25, those will definitely fit the bill.
And don't try the shotgun thing.

Was trying to wait for a final state before updating, but it dragging on forever.

So they shipped to the wrong address and the pkg got sent back to the US. Frames Direct reshipped at their cost due the the error.

I received the glasses, frames were ok, bit on the large side but I was expecting that. The Rx lenses were a bit off though. I have a hard time getting a local shop to get my correct PD, by the time I did the 30 free adjustment period was over. So to redo the prescription it will cost me 50% of the processing cost. About $70, kinda my bad for not confirming that in the first place.

So now the inserts are on the way back to the US. They will correct and return.

If I were to repeat, I would pay a local shop to give the exact PD and all measurements up front. I did ask, but I didn't know what numbers I would need. Hakim was not the most helpful, neither Optician or Optometrist.

Trying to be an optimist, but 3 months and counting is not "convenient" at all. Not riding, so not really pushing either.

@Joe Bass Once I get the insert back I will update again...

Thanks @Maxdar. Was just at the optometrists last week. Looked again at the Adidas.... but my place quoted me $500 for lenses alone on a new pair of glasses. So I am definitely still intrigued about this route. Maybe I should pm @LoneRonin iirc I think he said Eyewear was the family biz. But will wait upon your update.

Ok, @Joe Bass @LoneRonin

Got the new Rx, new helmet and first test ride.

Pros:
with New Rx way better than before.. but still not great. Distance is good, can read signs. but bit off. Need bit more time, but doubt I will wear for a long period of time.
Peripheral is good, shoulder and mirror checks were comfortable.
Not to heavy so far, will see after a longer ride.
Dark lens is dark enough. Can go from bright sun to a well lit room inside.
Lens chg is ok, once you know how.. see detailed story below.

Cons:
Added weight from the insert, but I expected that.
Large inside full/modular helmet. If helmet is really tight might be a problem.
No foam seal around eye, so air gets in from nose piece. Have not rode half helmet yet, but can tell from open visor.
Rx still not same as Reg non-progressive glasses. Ok for distance, which was my primary objective.

Lens Change:
Switching lenses is near impossible... If you follow Youtube. Several reviewer state they use pliers. Some say it gets better over time, but the hinge is plastic and would bend it too much. Youtube vids make it look like a snap...

Don't follow youtube, WileyX has an instruction card that shows how to do it correctly and it's WAY easier. Hold nose piece and pull apart from center. Just above nose bridge there is a "slot" in the frame. I inserted a cloth wrapped screw driver and it gave me better leverage. I think that was it's intended purpose. Pretty stiff still, but I guess that is good. After lens is off, then remove nose piece. The reverse takes much less effort and just snaps together.
Conclusion: *
I really want to give these a great review, however, for the ~$300, they are not ideal on a whole. They may work for what I need, but I would not buy again. Might change a bit over time, if I get used to them,but doubt it will help much.

If $500 can get a set that is interchangeable, then I would recommend saving up. This is not really the option I was hoping for.

if anyone wants to check the frames out, let me know, we can meet up on a Thurs at Leslie & Lakeshore or some other day weather pending.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom